Can Fedor adapt to the "modern" MMA style?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Toothlessjoe, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Toothlessjoe

Toothlessjoe INFOWARS STORE.COM

It's all but a given he's signed to the UFC as far as everyone is concerned, and the rumour is he only wanted rematches en route to a title shot. That said, as a huge nuthugger, I've always wondered if he can be effective against the modern approach.

Playing the judges, jabs and leg kicks as the meat and potatos of your offense... he's very skilled and I still think he's top 10, *maybe* top 5, but he has this wild, killer instinct style. Even in his wins he's leaving openings left, right and centre. Against Bigfoot, maybe his most competitive showing in a loss (Hendo was too short to garner any info) he just didn't seem to be able to adapt to the disadvantage in size and strength, just kept going for the wild kill - not going for the "win".

I think he has all the tools, and certainly the mentality, but I don't think he has the modern gameplan. I just feel he gets caught or outworked using an old school approach now, especially with his going for the finish at all times approach.

Nuthuggers and haters, what are your thoughts?

2. Vintersorg

Vintersorg Blue Belt

I agree with you, but you have to consider the fact that he had 30+ fights and fought more often than an average UFC fighter by that point in his career. He was probably mentally and physically worn out and his mind was elsewhere. I think that a smart fighter like him can adapt to any style, it's just a matter of motivation and desire.

3. Abezal

Abezal Banned Banned

lol modern mma style What thew fuck is that, at hw they are worse then they ever been.

Its still mostly rock em sock em and hope you win. AAs and Mir last wins for example.

4. spooNN

spooNN Black Belt

If Mir vs Duffee is considered modern mma for the heavies then I don't think Fedor should be far behind...

5. FrontNakedChoke

FrontNakedChoke ____________________

I think he just needs to mix up his striking with his take downs and go for more submissions like he used to.

6. LouisBolanos

LouisBolanos Popcorn tastes good

What's so modern about 2015 MMA? Robbie Lawler just beat a star of the supposed "new generation" to retain his WW belt. Werdum, who started what, 1 or 2 years after Fedor, is the undisputed HW champion after beating a much younger and less shop worn Cain.

7. TdotK

TdotK Purple Belt

He's always been able to over whelm guys, and just win on pure ferocity (obviously with sambo and kick boxing technique). Can't do that nowadays, because guys are bigger, stronger, and more knowledgeable.

He has to learn to pace himself, and execute a game plan.

8. neXt leVel

neXt leVel Purple Belt

Modern MMA????..in the HW div...lol

9. melvinj0

melvinj0 Gold Belt

No doubt about it, we have seen a lot of resurgences from guys who were on way worse streaks than Fedor. If he comes back with the right mindset and is actually determined to get the belt then I think he can do it, but if this is a just one off so he can pick up one more win on a big stage I am completely ok with that as well and wish him luck.

10. gspieler

gspieler Silver Belt

Fedor, along with GSP, Nog, BJ, and few others, pretty much invented "modern mma style".

11. Fox by the Sea

Fox by the Sea Lighthouse keeper Platinum Member

you mean can he adapt to point fighting? that's hardly a HW specialty.

the problem nowadays for him is that he is smaller than most LHWs. there are some huge boys at HW, and some are quite skilled, i don't know how he can adapt to that now that he is older.

12. daniel san

daniel san Black Belt

You mean if he can adapt and turn into a decision/points fighter? Not likely. Today we have too many fighters that fight for a decision win and not a KO or sub. Nothing wrong with trying to win by any means, but it's usually not fun to watch. Fedor will likely never change - he will go out to try and win the fight, not to win rounds.

13. melvinj0

melvinj0 Gold Belt

How many point fighters are there in the UFC HW division?

Rosholt and Mogomedov are the only two I can really think of.

14. Bacco

Bacco Silver Belt

Whatever is "modern" MMA, it never found home at HW

15. spardeous

spardeous Blue Belt

Fedor doesn't need to adapt to modern styles, he needs to bring back his old style.

I think the MMA community needs to formally recognize 'new breed' as a fallacy in reasoning. This term was relevant when the sport was new, but the sport is no longer new.

16. JayElectra

JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

Fedor in his prime would be plenty well rounded and skilled to have considerable success at HW or LHW and I think we all know that. Fedor's decline seems mostly to be down to the fact that he got lazy with long term success, stopped dedicating himself to the sport, and that his considerable physical abilities which his style did largely depend upon started to erode a bit. I do like the implied excuses being put forward, though. If Fedor, or any so-called "old-school" fighters for that matter, are not successful it's not for a lack of ability, it's because they refuse to bring themselves down to the level of "point-fighters". It's a ridiculous point.

17. trunks

trunks Brown Belt

Yep. I'd say for about almost the past decade the sport hasn't really evolved much. Guys just get old and their bodies take a beating. It's not that some new fighters with a new style just came along and knocked them off.

Look at BJ. BJ was ahead of his time. He literally was one of the ones who evolved the sport. Edgar/MacDonald/Diaz didn't come along with drastically new styles. Penn just got old and shopworn. If anything, fighters have continued to get better at cutting weight and Penn continued to fight at whatever weight he wanted to.

18. ThePatriot

ThePatriot Black Belt

Sick ofbhow hearing mma is evolved, when several divisions are weaker then they used to be

19. JayElectra

JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

That doesn't really explain Edgar's success against him. Edgar had success against him because Edgar is a very good fighter with a style that clashed well with Penn's, not so much because Penn was past it or because Edgar was adept at cutting weight (it could be argued that he looked to be in the best form of his career against Florian and Sanchez). You're right in the sense that a fighter with the BJJ ability, boxing ability, and takedown defense (along with very respectable takedowns) of Penn is always going to have the potential to have real success in this sport, though, regardless of its age. MMA as a sport might be new, but the skills that go into it are not and Penn was well above average in just about everything and he would clearly still be at FW or LW today and in the future, I think (his cardio and dedication to the sport being the two things that were pretty much always lacking).

20. Jermei

Jermei Steel Belt Platinum Member

... can the modern mma style adapt to Fedor is the real question.