Can DW’s contenders produce great prospects and future champions?

There have been 118 contracts handed out on the show
-0 Champions
-1 Title Challenger
-16 Current Ranked Fighters (Kevin Holland wasn't given a contract that night because he wouldn't stop talking, even though Dana was planning on giving him one. Later fed to Thiago Santos as a replacement.)
-7 Unranked Fighters who were ranked at one point
-17 Fighters who were cut or retired

In essence, a fighter who gets a contract on the show has about a one in five shot of making some noise, and a one in six chance of flaming out.

These are the stats. Make of them what you will.

Seems to me like most of these contender series “prospects” are stand and bang bar room brawlers, not young phenoms, blue chip prospects, or future world champions. What do you think?
As usual, flashy wins gets the attention.
Dana is looking for the next Conor (in terms of bringing viewers/moeny), not the next Khabib (blue collar that works hard but is not flashy).

That is also why UFC lost the train getting all the Russian/Dagestani Talent that went to Ballator instead.

Yeah, there's a few potential world champions on the line up this year imo.
We shall see if they get contracts. I can see some really talented guys not getting contracts with wins if they don't swang and bang for Dana

Justin Gonzales is prime example from previous seasons

Last edited:
We shall if they get contracts. I can see some really talented guys not getting contracts with wins if they don't swang and bang for Dana

Justin Gonzales is prime example from previous seasons
And Anthony Romero. One of the most talented guys last season, no contract.

But they signed JP Buys and the Costco Bros.

Who's your first choice? I would go with Khusein Askhabov

I'd probably say either Anton Turkalj or Jake Hadley if pushed, but I also think very highly of the potential of Michael Morales, Solomon Renfro, Jailton Junior, Hugo Cunha, Caio Borralho and Julia Polastri especially.

Askhabov I like but he has a big challenge on the show in Joanderson Brito.

And Anthony Romero. One of the most talented guys last season, no contract.

But they signed JP Buys and the Costco Bros.

Romero is consistently underwhelming for me. I think Achilles will impress him though in terms of Canadian LWs

Seems to me like most of these contender series “prospects” are stand and bang bar room brawlers, not young phenoms, blue chip prospects, or future world champions. What do you think?
Blue chip prospects go directly to the ufc, so what we see ON DWCS is the leftovers sometimes they develop into top talent plenty of ranked guys from that list, although they've all been humbled by someone never on the show and none look like a champion material yet.

Blue chip prospects go directly to the ufc, so what we see ON DWCS is the leftovers sometimes they develop into top talent plenty of ranked guys from that list, although they've all been humbled by someone never on the show and none look like a champion material yet.

This is a myth the UFC literally grabs all of their fighters from the same pool of guys. There is no difference between contender series and direct hires

Back