Can DC beat Jones if they have a rematch?

pcbh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Jones said that he's sure that he will fight DC again, so it looks like they may have a rematch if DC wins his next fights.

DC probably came into the fight thinking he was going to dominate Jon with his superior wrestling and defend all of his takedowns like he has done to all his past opponents, but it didn't workout that way because Jon took him down in the first minute of the fight. DC underestimated Jones and he didn't realize that Jon was that skilled at wrestling, so if they have a rematch, I think DC could win if he doesn't come into the fight thinking he's going to manhandle Jon with his wrestling. DC is a great striker & he has knockout power, so I think if he utilized his striking instead of his wrestling, he could beat Jon. He managed to hit Jon with some hard uppercuts when they were in the clinch; DC exhibited great boxing skills when he fought Antonio Silva and he KO'd him with an uppercut in the first round. I think that would be the best strategy for him to implement if he fights Jon again; Jon took DC down when he caught his leg and he took him down two more times when DC was tired, so DC should just use his boxing skills next time they fight.

10001970.gif

I think DC is a better pure wrestler, but I think Jon is a better MMA wrestler because his reach and height give him an advantage in MMA fighting and that was evident in the fight, so DC should only utilize his wrestling skills if Jon clinches up with him.

Also, DC deserves props for going the distance with Jon even though he had an injured knee and he even managed to slam Jon in the fifth round. Jon deserves props for proving everyone wrong and not letting DC dominate him with his wrestling. I'll admit, I thought DC was going to take Jon down at will because he's an Olympic wrestler, but Jon proved me wrong and exhibited great wrestling skills.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
No. He's too small, his tiny reach is a huge disadvantage, he has the worse striking of the two and he's obviously the weaker grappler.

I seriously doubt it.

No. He's too small, his tiny reach is a huge disadvantage, he has the worse striking of the two and he's obviously the weaker grappler.

It wasn't in the fist 2 and half rounds when he was negating it. We really need to stop with this "REACH IS THE ULTIMATE DECIDER OF EVERYTHING" bullshit.

C'mon son.

DC did hit Jon with his best shots. Big uppercuts to the jaw and hooks and kicks to the body. Jon wasn't even wobbled much less hurt.

Jon is better everywhere, including the wrestling department.

I would like to see it as long as DC works back to the title shot

It wasn't in the fist 2 and half rounds when he was negating it. We really need to stop with this "REACH IS THE ULTIMATE DECIDER OF EVERYTHING" bullshit.

It wasn't even a disadvantage for the last two rounds as very little striking occurred, and the striking that did occur came from a range that was conducive to Cormier. Jones' grappling, strength and stamina won him the fight. His length was probably a hindrance as it came to striking, but likely a benefit when it came to the grappling (which seems counter-intuitive, but it seems to be the case).

As for Cormier winning a rematch, I think he could have more success if he fought a little more intelligently and gave up the notion that he had to score takedowns in order to have success. Still, what really let him down was his stamina (and that's not even really a criticism, he's a 36 year old man and they set a high pace in an extremely grueling fight; Jones didn't actually hold up that much better as evidenced by the uneventful stalemate of a 5th round). If they were to meet again in a year, I can't see Cormier's stamina being a whole lot better and Jones will likely have improved. He could give him another very difficult fight, but beating Jones outright will be very difficult.

While having an injured knee. My favorite part of this TS's post.

And no. He can't beat Jones. Cuts too much weight and has no cardio.

Short answer, probably not. The question would be how much better would Jones be by the time they fought again? He keeps refining his game, especially the mental aspect of it. With DC, at this point and at his age, I think what you see is what you get.

PCBH - The only part i disagree with is that DC should stick to striking. As TED BUNDY pointed out, DC did use striking for most of the fight and he still wasn't able to finish the job with his uppercuts. Nonetheless I was extremely impressed that DC was able to close the distance. DC is a beast, he took everything JJ had and kept walking forward to try and stay on the inside. If DC improved his footwork, head movement, builds some power behind a hook and learns how to deal with JJ's kicks...then I think he could knock Jon Jones out. But he's already 35years old so I don't see him being able to develop those skills before age gets the best of him.

Da Speeit...if all things are equal but one person has a greater reach. Then that fighter will win.

Reach played a huge role in this fight as it does with all fights for several reasons.
Fighters with a longer reach can make contact with the fighter with less reach giving the longer armed fighters an advantage. Fighters with less reach have to expend energy to close the distance and which leaves them susceptible to take shots while penetrating. The longer fighter only needs to take a step back or a angle off to the side to keep the distance and maintain the reach advantage. If you check the numbers Cormier ate two or three shots for every one he gave...and most of them were kicks from a distance. While speed, feints and good head movement can overcome a reach advantage, Cormier's ability to perform those fell off in the later rounds as he grew tired. That's why reach is important.

I don't see it.

Trust me, I want to see Jones lose too. But one thing that has definitely been answered about Jones is the quality of his chin. You're either going to have to outpoint him (Gus has best chance of this), KO him with a Roy Nelson/Mark Hunt type of shot (No LHWs have this power that i can see), or TKO him with an accumulation. Cormier doesn't get inside enough or get enough opportunities to get that accumulation of strikes, for reasons we saw in the fight. Jones size advantage is too great, it's too easy for him to wrap you up and wear you down.

By the time Cormier got more opportunities his "explosiveness" and power were compromised.

Back