Can Conor do well in KB/MT etc.?

ConorFacts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I read/heard that Conor was a semi pro soccer player and a very good boxer, but he choosed MMA cuz he needed money and it was a bit more fun.

I have no idea how big the KB/MT scene is in ireland, but im sure he could have become one of the greats.

This kind of threads in general aren't appreciated here. But before people start trolling, i'll try to give a serious answer...

The most competitive weight classes in Muay Thai are usually at 140 lbs and below. A fighter fighting over these weight classes is unlikely to be considered "one of the greatest". At 145 lbs with the right trainers Conor could probably have done quite well if he commited to training.

But in muay thai in general you don't become great by winning one to three fights per year like in UFC, but rather by winning like 8 times a year all against elite opposition!

Can a UFC fighter like McGregor beat a thai champion? Yes, possibly, but i find it difficult to imagine that that any of the UFC fighters would transition and keep up with the intensity and be able to consistently win against top elite opposition.

Plus Conor has problems with cardio and clinchers with strong knees would exploit that. He has good hands, but his kicking and knee game is very poor for muay thai standards.

Last edited:
There was a Saenchai interview a while back where he said he had never faced a puncher as accurate as Mcgregor.

That said that's only two of the 8 limbs and I truly believe prime Mcgregor would have been killed at 145 in Thailand.

Especially throwing all the tornado kicks, spinning hook kicks etc. with the regularity that he was in his prime.

His kicking game would get completely shut down.

He would get chewed up in the clinch but I think he could do well in K-1 where you get a yellow card for thinking about clinching. He could also do well in ONE if they gave him a rematch with new rules if he lost :rolleyes:

in KB yes. in MT DEFINITELY NO!
its different game in MT.
MT requires clinch+balance+denfense skill like MMA requires ground skill.

This kind of threads in general aren't appreciated here. But before people start trolling, i'll try to give a serious answer...

The most competitive weight classes in Muay Thai are usually at 140 lbs and below. A fighter fighting over these weight classes is unlikely to be considered "one of the greatest". At 145 lbs with the right trainers Conor could probably have done quite well if he commited to training.

But in muay thai in general you don't become great by winning one to three fights per year like in UFC, but rather by winning like 8 times a year all against elite opposition!

Can a UFC fighter like McGregor beat a thai champion? Yes, possibly, but i find it difficult to imagine that that any of the UFC fighters would transition and keep up with the intensity and be able to consistently win against top elite opposition.

Plus Conor has problems with cardio and clinchers with strong knees would exploit that. He has good hands, but his kicking and knee game is very poor for muay thai standards.

You realize that Conor trained 3 weeks and won 4 rounds vs Floyd and almost knocked him out with a bodyshot? 2 years are probably enough for Lumpinee champ belt.

But you are right ... I still have no idea how Floyd outmuscled Conor in the clinch. Usually guys with long arms >>>> short arms in the clinch.

Conor is probably the only guy who could fight 10 elite guys per year. Most UFC guys cant even stay in shape ... lol.

I'd like to see him against Sittichai in Kickboxing rules. Good middle ground.

I would like to see Marat Grigorian beating him up

You realize that Conor trained 3 weeks and won 4 rounds vs Floyd and almost knocked him out with a bodyshot? 2 years are probably enough for Lumpinee champ belt.

I like McGregor, but do you realize Floyd carried McGregor? In the first rounds Floyd was acting as if he was sparring a kid. Lol @almost knocked out Floyd. Conor had no power in that fight, Floyd never seemed concerned and just walked into his punches. Now that doesn't mean Conor isn't skilled, he is for sure, but seriously, that fight was at no point ever competitive.

Plenty of muay thai fighters were also good boxers but their succes in muay thai wasn't purely because of their boxing skills but because of a variety of muay thai skills.

Anyway, Jimmy Vienot won the Lumpinee 160 lbs last year and i think McGregor would KO him. But at this weight class, Lumpinee belt isn't really a sign of greatness.

Last edited:
I read/heard that Conor was a semi pro soccer player and a very good boxer, but he choosed MMA cuz he needed money and it was a bit more fun.

I have no idea how big the KB/MT scene is in ireland, but im sure he could have become one of the greats.
Very good boxer but chose MMA because he needed money? <{cruzshake}>

Glory and UFC Dynamite! event.
Conor vs Cedric Doumbé under Kickboxing rules.
Uncle Dana let's do this!!

DSC_6107.jpg

Glory and UFC Dynamite! event.
Conor vs Cedric Doumbé under Kickboxing rules.
Uncle Dana let's do this!!

DSC_6107.jpg
conor hasnt fought any legit explosive brothers that were not midgets

Is this Spacetime's famous alt account everyone knows talks about? why don't mods erase it?

Mcgregor was never a semi pro soccer anything... the only record of him ever playing soccer is at elementary school. Then when he turned 12 he left that to train at a boxing gym next to his house.

chose* not choosed

Honestly, if his cardio wasn't so dogshit I think McGregor would compete with anyone around 155 in KB or Muay Thai, as much respect as I have for the arts, the talent pool in those individual sports isn't nearly as deep as people would make out.

Honestly, if his cardio wasn't so dogshit I think McGregor would compete with anyone around 155 in KB or Muay Thai, as much respect as I have for the arts, the talent pool in those individual sports isn't nearly as deep as people would make out.

yep i dont think the talent pool is so deep ... i cant even name 3 muay thai fighters.

ong bak is probably the only guy i know.

He would do well in kickboxing for sure. He would have to adjust his stance and develop his skill set more, but I see no reason that he wouldn't do well in kickboxing. 3 rounds of 3 minutes is better for an athlete like him than 5x5 in MMA. He's got very good distance and timing (even Saenchai has said that).

Muay Thai would be a different kettle of fish altogether, not because muay thai is necessarily superior, but because of the clinch. That being said though, it's not like McGregor doesn't have an understanding of clinch from MMA - he'd likely adjust but I very much doubt he would be a strong muay thai fighter unless he lived the muay thai life training on a camp twice a day, 6 days a week.

Using McGregor's fighting style in MMA, to judge his potential efficiency in a different combat sport is misguided, because you wouldn't see him fight like that in kickboxing. He'd at least do decently, not because he's a savant (he isn't the best fighter in any of the weight divisions he's competed in) but because he's an explosive stand up fighter.

He would do well in kickboxing for sure. He would have to adjust his stance and develop his skill set more, but I see no reason that he wouldn't do well in kickboxing. 3 rounds of 3 minutes is better for an athlete like him than 5x5 in MMA. He's got very good distance and timing (even Saenchai has said that).

Muay Thai would be a different kettle of fish altogether, not because muay thai is necessarily superior, but because of the clinch. That being said though, it's not like McGregor doesn't have an understanding of clinch from MMA - he'd likely adjust but I very much doubt he would be a strong muay thai fighter unless he lived the muay thai life training on a camp twice a day, 6 days a week.

Using McGregor's fighting style in MMA, to judge his potential efficiency in a different combat sport is misguided, because you wouldn't see him fight like that in kickboxing. He'd at least do decently, not because he's a savant (he isn't the best fighter in any of the weight divisions he's competed in) but because he's an explosive stand up fighter.

I rewatched some fights & i changed my opinion.

Conor is the definition of a Panic Wrestler ... he even shot for a DBL & Floyd sprawled Conors double leg against the ropes.

He throwed 300-350 punches vs Nate & was super gassed.

Tenshin would kill him in boxing & even MMA.

I do know that good boxing can carry you well in Kickboxing, but Conor has no hearth.

Back