Can Cody sticky to a gameplan?

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It seemed like he started off trying to be patient and was throwing alot of kicks, moving well, not loading up on his punches.... and then when Tj starts picking up the pace just a little , Cody goes full slugfest, street fight mode....

Does Garbrandt have it in him to be patient and pick his opponent apart? Because he has the skills to do it but how do you fix his mind set? Does he need to work with some different coaches?

It seemed like he started off trying to be patient and was throwing alot of kicks, moving well, not loading up on his punches.... and then when Tj starts picking up the pace just a little , Cody goes full slugfest, street fight mode....

Does Garbrandt have it in him to be patient and pick his opponent apart? Because he has the skills to do it but how do you fix his mind set? Does he need to work with some different coaches?

Did it vs cruz.. last night was disappointing.. not cus i like cody but because i expected an intelligent fighter

Did it vs cruz.. last night was disappointing.. not cus i like cody but because i expected an intelligent fighter
I agree... Against cruz, he seemed like a ghost, never there to hit, great head movement, attacking opportunistically.

Last night he fought like a fucking meat head.

Cody's gameplan has always been be patient and counter punch with flurries.
TJ has a gameplan that involves movement and picking shots, but then by round 2 he gets flat footed and starts winging shit. That's why he lost to Dom, and why he can win rock-em sock-em brawls with Cody

I think it all depends on how the fight goes for him. The Cruz fight went his way for the most part so he felt comfortable and fought his fight. Against Dillashaw he was invested personal and directly whereas against Cruz he was emotionally invested by a third party (urijah) so as soon as he found any sort of difficulty he got carried by his emotions and started feeling desperate, thus throwing wild haymakers. It's also difficult for him to stick to a gameplay because, you know, he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed

He's devolving into the Faber model of fighting.

The slow-mo gifs of their first fight are underrated. Look at TJ's left hand. Cruz didn't do this. He hopped around right into Cody's power shots. While Cody's a natural puncher who TJ made a one-handed brawler. Cody becoming a fluid kickboxer after having so much success with his hands will take time.

T.J.-Dillashaw-def-Cody-Garbrandt-via-knockout-punches.gif

It seemed like he started off trying to be patient...indeed.

Did Garbrandt throw a single straight punch that fight? Or was it just kicks and wild hooks?

When he gets clipped his instinct is to brawl back and throw caution to the wind. Aldo does the same shit.

Faber was never an aggressive slugfester. Faber never had big power in his hands. You sound like a clueless newbie.

I feel like he did, but the t rex arms made it too hard to connect when he winds up

He's an unintelligent meathead.

He's won fights on raw physical talent and training.

After these two mental and physical beat downs from TJ I wouldn't be surprised if he's out of the UFC in less than 3 years.

Back