Can 'Cigano' get gold once again?

oldschoolmmafan

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Damn, his first run to gold was one of the most dominant in UFC history. Can he do it again?...

Last edited:
I highly doubt it and I think retirement soon is much more likely. Having said that, I hope I am wrong as it would be awesome to see him get that belt again before retirement.

I think JDS is better than Francis, but damn its so hard to not get hit by one of those nuclear bombs.....He could fight the perfect fight for 14 min and if Francis lands one its over. I favor JDS if he can get out of the first. I could even see him knocking out Francis if he actually commits to a power shot. But if he is hesitant it will go just like the Overeem fight.

As far as being able to beat DC, I dont think so. But if Stipe wins or DC retires you never know.

JDS is pretty inconsistent.. Having defeated a lot of big names and living on the weakest (technically of course) division in UFC I'd say so, but his performances were kinda lackluster after Cain.

I'm gonna go with yes, mostly due to inna di HW division.

I think JDS is better than Francis, but damn its so hard to not get hit by one of those nuclear bombs.....He could fight the perfect fight for 14 min and if Francis lands one its over. I favor JDS if he can get out of the first. I could even see him knocking out Francis if he actually commits to a power shot. But if he is hesitant it will go just like the Overeem fight.

As far as being able to beat DC, I dont think so. But if Stipe wins or DC retires you never know.

You think he's better, even though JDS got KO'd by Econoreem. Ngannous is durable, powerful, quick, a good striker, decent TDD. Technique-wise I might agree with you, but Ngannou is far superior as a fighter overall.

Damn, his first run to gold was one of the most dominant in UFC history. Can he do it again?...

Absolutely. That dude is a stud.

Physically he doesn't seem to have deteriorated a lot.

If he gets over his mental issues, like choking mid fight, he can most definitely be champ again, especially in todays landscape.

prime JDS with ez, but current JDS ... no.

HW MMA fucken sucks, thats why he is still there.

basically agree with whats been said... Its heavy its possible with some luck and the right fights, would I wager he ever does.. That's a hard no

The beatings he took from Cain combined with how he looked vs Overeem (gunshy as fuck against a chinny fighter) and even in his wins, leads me to believe that he can't. I don't see how he beats Ngannou. He's not willing to engage, and he's gonna get hit at some point. I guess he can outpoint him, in theory, but that's a long shot.

yeahhhh.... im gonna say no.

Of course it's possible. I doubt it though. I can see see him beating Francis. I think ... I REALLY hope I'm wrong, But I think he is tailor made for him and eats an Overeem level KO.

**Edit... That 1st run to the title was a thing of beauty. There really is a "Before Cain 2" version of him and an "After Cain 2" one. He was really...REALLY not the same.

Then you have "After Cain 3" and "Stipe 1" ... I mean. It took a lot to lead up to the guy that fought Overeem. But I think the two or three versions ago JDS is a huge step backwards that just isn't there any more.

Last edited:
The beatings he took from Cain combined with how he looked vs Overeem (gunshy as fuck against a chinny fighter) and even in his wins, leads me to believe that he can't. I don't see how he beats Ngannou. He's not willing to engage, and he's gonna get hit at some point. I guess he can outpoint him, in theory, but that's a long shot.

Spot on. Against Overeem to be that hesitant against one of the least "bouncebackable" chins....Francis will sleep him I think.

I doubt it, but it’s not impossible. Especially at that weight class. Where one punch often determines the fight. If he actually did it I’d be happy for him. It would be a great story.

I wouldn't doubt it.

If he beats Ngannou, which I think he has a great chance to do, he's probably in line for the winner of Stipe/Cormier.

He just needs one punch either way. He's 1-1 vs Stipe and Cormier is probably a bad matchup for him, but he'll also be pushing 41 by the time they'd fight and who knows when Cormier will "get old" overnight.

I think Junior has a good shot at becoming champ again.

when you hit as hard as JDS does

and youre a former champ with one of the best resumes in HW history

and HW is as shit a division as it is,

anything, ANYTHING is possible

Nope. I can't see him beating Stipe or DC. I also think Francis is gonna get the W.

He's definitely on the cusp of it. Beating Francis is huge though not sure how that goes at all. His best chance is to me if he gets past Francis and DC beats stipe and sticks around. I just don't see DC walking down jds like stipe or overeem and I doubt at his age he'll be able to put a mauling on him the way cain did

Why is it so hard for the UFC or any promotion to find a HW fighter who is good. JDS and Cain were great back in the day (before USADA). The whole division sucks and the only reason anyone might have a chance against DC is because he is so old. If DC started this sport when he was younger nobody would have a chance against him. So to answer your question JDS actually has a small chance to be champion again but only be because the division sucks. He probably gets KO'd by Ngannou in the 1st.

Back