Can Cain survive in Werdum's guard?

TerraRayzing

Little eagle soars again
@Brown
Reaction score
Werdum has he best jitz in the HW division and Cain was wary of following him to the ground. He briefly engaged him on the ground but quickly stood up (Also, it was side control if I remember correctly, couldn't even land anything IIRC)
Hunt was able to stay in his guard but naturally, he is much stronger than Cain and gave that gives him some advantage but Cain is very good at transitions, IMO, he needs to go to his bread and butter to win the match.
What do you think? Can Cain survive in his guard and can he win without using his wrestling? I don't think so, he needs a conservative approach to the ground game but he needs to engage him.

I think he can (his top control is very strong and like you mentioned he has great transitions), but I'd expect him to stay at range more. If anything, I think he'll try putting him against the fence and beating him up if the striking exchanges aren't going his way.

If Cains does it correctly and hurts Werdum on feet first, he can.

As long as it's not Costner

article-2103103-11B1FA95000005DC-39_964x563.jpg

I don't think so, not early on at least.

If he can beat Werdum up a bit first, maybe.

Overeem did it easily without getting into any danger. Question is if Cain has better grappling than him.

I think his gaurd is overrated, Hunt and Travis were able to get him on the ground and out of his gaurd no problem.

I'd say it's 50/50 (no bjj pun intended).

If Cain lands some bombs early down there, he will put out Doom's lights. But he could just as easily get caught in something. Werdum also showed (now multiple times) that he's not a one trick pony anymore. He's dangerous on his feet too.

Not sure tbh. Cains activity on the ground will either help him or be his downfall. If he gets reckless werdum may snatch something , if he's methodical he can survive, but who wants to stay on the ground with werdum for an extended period

Yes, I think he can. He must always be cautious, but surviving in the modern MMA guard isn't too difficult, don't let your arms touch the floor, keep hands on biceps, watch out for feet on hips, keep strong posture.. I am sure Cain knows what to do, it is important he keeps calm though

Overeem did it easily without getting into any danger. Question is if Cain has better grappling than him.

Cain is a better grappler but not a better submission grappler
Overeem submitted Hunt, Hunt chilled in Werdums guard do the mma submission math bro haha

This question doesn't make sense, you wouldn't want to sit in someones guard thats active. You want to pass it.
The question should be "can cain pass werdums guard" and the answer is in the last fight "yes he can"

The questions is can Werdum survive in Sea Level Cain's guard? I don't think he can.

Cain's grinding wrestling style is predicated on guys not wanting to be on the ground while another HW is on top of him caving his face in.

For Werdum, he welcomes the idea which changes the dynamics of Cain's style.

In this match up, you won't see a vintage Cain that likes to wear you out, rather I'm expecting a different gameplan where he trained mostly kickboxing for this camp.

With that said, Werdum is close to being done IMO. He looked pretty bad against Browne and even though Werdum skills make it a tough fight for Cain, I believe Cain will probably want it more and since a decision that Werdum throws away the victory just by doing something odd/strange.

Otherwise I can see Werdum doing what he did the first time if Cain doesn't come with an improved kickboxing style.

Looks like you didn't watched the fight in Mexico TS.

That being said i see a more cautious Cain, he needs to stay standing to beat Werdum and if he wants to get to the ground he has to stay active and with GnP. you can't stay still in Werdum's guard.

Back