Can BJ Penn be considered one of the hardest P4P hitters in MMA history?

GSP said they studied tape frame by frame and found BJ was far quicker to react than anyone else including GSP. So they used a lot of feints because BJ’s reactions cost mental energy. It worked.
That only works if they don't work on feints. It's not an issue in boxing for boxers with a high level feint game. You can train your reactions too so you don't get overwhelmed with feints. Usually it just turns into a chess match of feints and set-ups.

He’d be a top GOAT in the eyes of many if he quit after he realized Frankie wasn’t a fluke. He’s still in my top 3 favorites.

In his prime the guy was one the best, he’s one of the main reasons I respect the hell out of GSP.

I read somewhere that it was scientifically confirmed that BJ Penn had one of the fastest reaction times of any fighter

I mean you didn't have to be a scientist to figure that out but nice to know.
You heard GSP say it on Joe Rogan's podcast or read something about that interview. GSP revealed his secret weapon. Some guy from Canada who would slow fighters down frame by frame and then rate them based on their reaction time. Apparently BJ was the best on the roster by a good margin. Second place was Machida apparently. Super impressive considering his size.

Nah, he's got good power but nowhere near the hardest hitter at LW, let alone p4p.

He didn't hit extremely hard, but he had great accuracy and counters. Its the ones you don't see coming that hurt you the most

Back in the day, BJ was able to hurt and KO all-time great welterweights.

The only stoppage by strikes BJ Penn has over 155 was a one KO over a shot Matt Hughes and, overall, he only has two KOs. Penn's boxing was very effective, but he's absolutely not in the conversation for the p4p hardest hitter. He's not even in the conversation for the hardest hitter at 145 or 155.

How many different weight classes did he fight in? I think Machida was the biggest guy to humble him after the pulver loss.

I'm a big fan of "prime BJ", but no, imo he doesn't belong on a P4P hardest hitters list.

Hiroyuki Takaya on the other hand...
tumblr_oyaaoocQ1a1u2ragso1_400.gifv

tumblr_nsnu4cU5Cy1u2ragso1_400.gifv

BJ is the most under-rated fighter in the UFC. The end of his career was awful and certainly tarnished his legacy. In his prime he was as talented as any fighter, ever. He walked through prime HOFers: Hughes, Sanchez, Sera, Sherk, Gomi. He also beat Renzo and Rodrigo Gracie. Most of the fighters he fought were bigger and stronger, many several fought at 185 and even 205. Prime Penn was a talent, no doubt.

How many different weight classes did he fight in? I think Machida was the biggest guy to humble him after the pulver loss.

At the time, Machida was one of the best P4P strikers and he didn't even really humble him, it was a close decision.

If anything, Machida should've been humbled that he wasn't able to knock out an obese lightweight.

Yes he gets some consideration among other P4P great hitters. Not saying he would be at the top of that group.

Back