Can Bearjew go on a title run at LHW?

LHW is wide open at the moment with old men Glover and Jan fighting it out as well as a bunch of wild mental strikers like Jiri and that Serbian/Austrian dude. You also have MW journeymen like Santos and Anthony Smith in the mix.

I think a BJJ wizard like Craig could have enough tricks in his arsenal to challenge for the title. He's also a big bastard.

I don't know about a title run.

But if Craig put out a tee shirt featuring a ferocious bear wearing a yarmulke I would absolutely buy it.

23fd0cc53674bbfd71a27170b59e9f13.jpg

Oh man so brave.. betting that a guy who is barely ranked and completely 1 dimensional won't become champion. What stones!
Wasn't trying to be courageous. Maybe you're projecting, I dunno.
<Fedor23>

Lets bet that Fedor won't ever become UFC champ next!
Ok. I have that not happening. What's the deadline, so I can know to look for your account to be deleted?
<JackieThumbsUp>

Yeah but they are champion because they have also a really good striking. Oliveira won his title by TKO and Moreno did sub Figgy but he can thanks the fact that he was outstriking him.
I think the point he is trying to make is that you can't make it to the title with your sub skills only, you need a certain level in the striking.
That's whats differenciate Oliveira, Moreno, Ortega from Bryce Mitchell/Paul Craig/Maia/Ryan Hall/Hermansson.

That's my opinion only but i have a hard time remembering who was the last guy to climb on the top a division mostly with submissions ? Demian Maia and who ?

It was Oliveira's BJJ that kept him in the fight long enough to win.

That said, I don't disagree with you, but I remarked on what he said.
Bryce Mitchell is going to wear the belt someday. He's young enough that he has plenty of time to improve his standup to the level necessary to supplement his grappling.

You know, he is a weird guy. Most people where sure Hill would destroy him. He has great mma-bjj (if that's a thing) and I honestly think he could beat every fighter on the roster. I do think it's a long shot, as most top guys are simply to good for him to use his arm-bending skills.
Let's say he grapples every fighter in training, they are bound to lose at some point. But in the real fight, he lacks the skills necessary to get the fight to the ground. I agree with you.

Well...

If he wins the Ankalaev rematch, i may buy the hype.

No

But I'm definitely excited to see him fight again against higher ranked opponent and keep defying the odds as long as he can
Agreed, and looking at his record, he's only been to one decision in 20 fights, he's an exciting fighter.

He wouldn’t even stand a chance against Chuck Liddell today

I'd like to see him fight Crute or Cirkunov next -- both coming off losses and now technically ranked below him, but both proven finishers with legitimate grappling pedigrees in and out MMA. Alternatively, if he's fighting up into the Top 10 -- which he's arguably earned -- then Krylov and Oezdemir could be stiff tests for him since they're both dangerous strikers who aren't ignorant on the ground and have decent defensive wrestling.

FWIW, Craig has never said why he has that nickname, only that it was given to him by his gym mates and it wasn't flattering.

Back