Can anyone recommend some good MMA books?

PistolPeteMMA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot lately and actually enjoying it. I'm out of books now and looking for another book to read. I prefer MMA or BJJ books but not a big fan of the BJJ Technique only books. I would love to read a book on BJJ Theory or something along those lines.

Here are the books I recently read:

1.) A Fighters Heart (a must read)
2.) A Fighters Mind (another must read)
3.) Forrest Giffens Book (a Total train wreck-Don't recommend)
4.) BJ Penns Book (Great Read)
5.) Randy Coutures Book (good read)
6.) The Gracie Way (good read)
7.) Blood in the Cage- Pat Miletch Story (great read)

I think that's all of them. What are your recommendations?

Thanks,
Pete

Brawl by Erich Krauss is a great book with interviews with Tank, Frank S.,etc. and gets into early ufc fight fixing, some great Lober-Frank stuff, and is a fantastic read.

Forrest's book, a train wreck?

Someone needs to lighten up. ;)

Forrests book had NO substance. It was funny in parts but lacked any real information. I'm sure a lot of people like that style of reading but it's not for me. I would never recommend that book to anyone because it wasn't a good read in my opinion. There were a few good stories in there esp. about the nerd they beat up on that kept coming back. If the book was more about those stories it would have been much better.

Sounds to me that you were let down by it as you looked at it as an actual MMA book. Well then yeah, Got Fight won't make you feel as 'ard as the other books you mentioned.

Chuck's book is a cool read, builds up to either Quinton or Jardine.

Forrest's book, a train wreck?

Someone needs to lighten up. ;)

Yea,no real secrets,I just read Forrests book as a laugh and with my tongue in cheek like Forrests.The book is more meant as a jokey read than anything else and quite reflects his personality.

The two best books I've read are Sheridan's. All the others are really "eh" when it comes to content and writing.

This one is on my want list:

Amazon.com: Jackson's Mixed Martial Arts: The Stand Up Game (9780981504452): Greg Jackson, Kelly Crigger: Books

I have the Silva, Gracie, and Penn technique books, but just like you I'm looking for more theory than anything else. Ever consider a Bruce Lee book that discusses his philosphies and mindsets during training?

Jackson's book is 'meh', I was hoping for further insight in how he thinks but alot of it is basic fight strategy in the intro. Not much different then any of the other books out for sale.

Oh really? That's disappointing. I was expecting more input from the other fighters he has listed in the credits, but the book seems not as in-depth as I thought.

Removed it from my Amazon wish-list.

I just purchased the "Fighters Heart" based on your recommendation. Only $1.82+$4 shipping on Amazon. Nice.

As far as theory goes, I'm currently trying to ingest Joel Jamieson's "Ultimate MMA Conditioning" guide. It's an in-depth read that really explains the mechanics of the body, it's influence on training, and how to get the most out of your sessions so your can be a beast in the ring.

If you're a fan of knowledge, looking to add to your training, or just like to have more MMA books in your arsenal, then I think this is a must-read.

The price is steep, but the information is solid.

Oh really? That's disappointing. I was expecting more input from the other fighters he has listed in the credits, but the book seems not as in-depth as I thought.

Removed it from my Amazon wish-list.

I just purchased the "Fighters Heart" based on your recommendation. Only $1.82+$4 shipping on Amazon. Nice.

As far as theory goes, I'm currently trying to ingest Joel Jamieson's "Ultimate MMA Conditioning" guide. It's an in-depth read that really explains the mechanics of the body, it's influence on training, and how to get the most out of your sessions so your can be a beast in the ring.

If you're a fan of knowledge, looking to add to your training, or just like to have more MMA books in your arsenal, then I think this is a must-read.

The price is steep, but the information is solid.

I actually looked at this book recently and almost bought it. Maybe I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks,
Pete

The author has a thread stickied on the "Strength and Conditionings" forum. The dude knows his stuff.

So far I've read:
Mastering the Rubber Guard (Great Book)
Mastering the Twister (Good Book)
Matt Hughes Book (decent read)
Got Fight (Disapointed)
Anderson Silva's Book (A little helpful. Mostly covers basics. Would have been better if he included drills or training or something.)

I have:

Saulo Ribeiro's BJJ University
Andre Galvao Drill to win
BJ Penn's MMA book
Jackson's Ground Game book ( currently reading)
Joel Jamieson's MMA conditioning

So far I like Saulo's the best, its a good combination of theory and techniques. The two books I always reread to refresh my memory is Saulo's and Joel Jamieson's book. However, reading about the science of workout methods is not for everyone, but I personally love it. BJJ University outlines techniques according to belt level and discussions of the type of mindset and approach you should have at that level.

Back