Can anyone in the Seattle area recommend a school?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by NHBHAWAII, Aug 3, 2010.

1. NHBHAWAII

NHBHAWAII Blue Belt

More specifically, my son (11 y.o.) is moving to Poulsbo to live with his mom. I have done a Google search of schools near the area and haven't been able to find anything within reasonable distance. Keep in mind that my son's mother is not going to be too big into the idea of driving for an hour to take him to class. Pretty much everything I've come across is AT LEAST an hour away.

Being that I am completely cluesless as to how far one town is from another in that area, I am hoping that someone can help me. Here is what we're looking for:

1) Good kid's classes. Lots of instructors are good at teaching adults, but suck at teaching kids.
    2) Friendly, welcoming atmosphere. You train with assholes, chances are you'll become an asshole.
    3) Variety of disciplines. I would obviously like my son to be well-rounded. Coming from a BJJ background, it's definitely a plus if that is an area of strength.
    4) Distance from Poulsbo. Something less than an hour away would be perfect. I don't want to give the bitch an excuse to not take him to class.

Any help my fellow Sherdoggers can give me is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. Spoken

Spoken Gold Belt

There are 2 big schools in the seattle area: Gracie Barra and Marcelo Alonso.
    However, I'm not sure if any of the schools' location will be within an hour of Poulsbo.

You may have to do some personal research on the gracie barra website and mapquest.

3. Spoken

Spoken Gold Belt

looks like Everett is a little more than an hour away. The Gracie Barra their is run by Andy Solheim, a black belt prodigy that is great with kids.
    I think their kids program will be starting up soon. I'm not sure though.

4. Spoken

Spoken Gold Belt

cant edit my post:

Seattle is just about an hour. Just good Gracie Barra Seattle...

5. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

There are some karate and judo places in Silverdale and Bremerton but you're not going to find any BJJ west of Puget Sound.

Gracie Barra Seattle doesn't have kids classes right now because Cindy Hales was the kids' instructor and she left to start her own academy nearby, which focuses on kids' classes. It's called Sleeper Athletics: http://sleeperathletics.com/

If his mom is willing to take him on the ferry to Seattle once or twice a week so he can go to Sleeper, that's his best bet for kids' BJJ. Cindy is an incredible instructor, loves teaching the kids, and is a BJJ black belt and former pro MMA fighter herself. I go to her adult no-gi classes on Fridays, and I highly recommend her, she's rad.

Otherwise he might just have to do karate or judo or middle school wrestling for now and wait until high school for BJJ.