1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Can anyone find this fight?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by KAZSoliloquy, Sep 4, 2021.

1. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

it’s an older fight, grainy footage, probably 80’s or 90’s. it involves a stoppage against the ropes where one guy is getting tee’d off on, and uncorks a left hook as the ref jumps in and KO’s the other guy. i remember the guy who got one punch KO’d still ended up winning by stoppage. sound familiar to anybody?

Rebelfett likes this.
  2. sweetviolenturg Banned Banned

I got you covered, bro. It was this fight won by John Meekins even though he was KTFO as the ref was stopping the fight.

3. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

you’re a godsend bro. couldn’t find this one for the life of me.

sweetviolenturg likes this.
  4. treelo //Do something here

how confusing that Meekins corner is wearing the same colours as his opponent

Nova44 likes this.
  5. RascalBird Palooka Joe

The right decision was made. As soon as the ref makes the motion to stop the fight, the fight is over. The punch landed well after the intent of the ref to stop the fight. Otherwise you'd have guys fighting and throwing punches over the ref even when the fight stopped, in hopes of landing a KO if the decision isn't final. Not to mention that the ref didn't count Meekins out.

Very interesting to see however. Do any of you think the decision was wrong?

KAZSoliloquy and sweetviolenturg like this.
  6. aries Gold Belt

That's how I saw it. The punch was after the ref had waved him off. There has to be a cut-off point. Just a bit of a freak occurrence.

7. sweetviolenturg Banned Banned

Nope. You are, of course, spot on. Whatever occurs after the ref makes the motion to stop the contest is a moot point.

KAZSoliloquy likes this.
  8. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

realistically it’s correct. the right person won. the ref decided the fight was over and anything that happens after his decision is not valid.

the real question is “was he correct in his decision to stop the fight?” or in better terms “was meekins’ opponent done?” and to that, i say no, probably not. obviously he was still there and both guys had been taking damage. regardless, he did stop the fight and that KO punch didn’t count.

just a very interesting outcome that i haven’t seen before or since. was just reminded of it in a conversation about barry/kongo in the UFC and thought i’d make a thread to hunt the fight down lol

RascalBird and sweetviolenturg like this.