Can an Internet provider tell which computer downloaded what?

xRoccax

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So we received this email at work, just wondering if I should keep downloading or if they can actually find what computer specifically is doing the downloading.

"Please also be advised that there have been serious downloading copyright infringements happening at our schools. Our research shows these have been staff and not students. As this is a breaking of the law, and puts the schools reputation and liability in jeopardy, as well as reducing band width for school services and student learning; this is considered a serious issue. As such, those involved in this will be dealt with under the employee discipline process from this point onwards."

Should I be scared?

is your secret faptop about to be made?

chris-hansen-200x300.jpg

This guys will know

Lol. What the Fuck have you been downloading. And why are you doing it at your place of employment?

IT will be able to track who is using the bandwidth. Lol.

Start polishing up your resume.

If you're using torrents, for sure they can track you cause you'll be uploading as well

I'm always amazed that their are people out there willing to lose their job over a few movies...

I'd say keep downloading! Your too stupid to be employed anyways.

I'm always amazed that their are people out there willing to lose their job over a few movies...

I'd say keep downloading! Your too stupid to be employed anyways.

Insults TS for being stupid.

Spells 'You're' wrong...

Yep. Of course, since that threat is entirely meaningless, it could be ignored. Not saying that you have any say in this, byt FYI, VCAP is a notice-only, no punishment legal scheme. You might tip off your bosses to that if they come a-calling.
Delete system32.
DO NOT do this.

P.S. if you want to look at naughty stuff at work, make sure you do it on someone else's computer, and logged into a different account than your own.

Make sure the video cameras cannot nail you. Look for workstations w/ blind spots.

No, the ISP can't, but the network techs at the school most certainly can. It gets even easier to nail down if you're using your personal login at the school.

If you're DL'ing music, youtube to mp3 ftw. They can't track that shit.

Being the school likely uses a nat firewall/gateway it's unlikely the internet provider can provide insight to which computer did it as there will be hundreds if not thousands of computers using the same external IP address.

The same cannot be said for the IT staff at the school. It just depends on what kind of network gear and logging they have enabled.

It says "our schools", so it's not a letter from the isp. Yeah, the school can tell.

Back