Can a kid from the slums of the Favelas become UFC champion?

You got stories of Francis recently becoming champion after being homeless. That gives them a bit of that edge or chip on their shoulder if you will.

favela-rio-ejo-080316-1652261.jpg

Don't judge a book by its cover. Although poor in material they can be rich in other ways. In America not all glitter is gold. We might be richer in a material but poorer in other ways.

In Chile, I did just that, was judging how poor and sad a city was based on the houses looking like that picture. However, I immediately saw the smiles and sense of Identity was strong in that city, or Country for that matter. That country has a respect for elders, sense of identity, and family. Other kids will call a friends mom...mom. Its awesome to see. I realized how poor America is in other ways. Good communities like that, imo, produce good fighters because of the support system.

Last edited:
Aldo and Barao did

Every brazilian champion came from the favelas, who the fuck would choose being a cagefighter as a profession unless you don't have another choice? Only muricans are stupid enough to pick it having other options.

<JagsKiddingMe>

Olviera did teh Chris-esque staredown.... I gotta Go with Charlie on this one.

Sorry, Chandler, but I'm superstitious.

As long as they have access to sherdog.net

shogun and vitor did
IDK about shogun but vitor was pretty wealthy growing up IIRC, doubt he lived in a favela.

Defintiely a bunch of brazilian fighters that grew up in favelas tho. Aldo definitely did, I think JDS and Anderson did as well. Big Nog definitely grew up poor, but I think he was born into rural poverty, not sure if he lived in a favela or not.

Aldo obviously and Charles Oliveira is from the favelas in Vicente de Carvalho lol and fights tonight

Im guessing most of the Brazilian ufc champs come from favelas.
Nope. Maia and Belfort are playbois

Yeah. MMA is not a sport where you have to start at a young age or be physically gifted to be good at unlike other major sports.

Every brazilian champion came from the favelas, who the fuck would choose being a cagefighter as a profession unless you don't have another choice? Only muricans are stupid enough to pick it having other options.

<JagsKiddingMe>

what an ignorant, dumbass statement.

Back