Can a fight be overturned to due incompetent judging?

Lo

Lol Well yeah, any judge that scored this fight 49-46, or 48-47 jones in my opinion is not likely to be whipping out the calculator to run the numbers on striking percentages. Which really begs the question of why even bring it up? It points to it be essentially being irrelevant unless the shots landed by the guy that throws less are clearly more damaging (like the Frankie Aldo example you're quoting). That's a case of the shots being more effective rather than more efficient (percentages) which is not really relevant to the Jones Reyes fight or round in question.
No but, being Boxing judges, they maybe noticing who's connecting on more of the strikes they are throwing while also controlling the center and constantly walking down their opponent.

Obviously by the same token they also aren't likely to be holding a baseball clicker in each hand counting total strikes so unless the disparity is overwhelmingly obvious there is a good chance they will be favoring the guy they see connecting more often than not on the strikes he throws while also appearing to Dodge more than he takes coming back.

No but, being Boxing judges, they maybe noticing who's connecting on more of the strikes they are throwing while also controlling the center and constantly walking down their opponent.

Obviously by the same token they also aren't likely to be holding a baseball clicker in each hand counting total strikes so unless the disparity is overwhelmingly obvious there is a good chance they will be favoring the guy they see connecting more often than not on the strikes he throws while also appearing to Dodge more than he takes coming back.
To be fair, they probably should be doing something of the sort, it's not like 20-30 is a super high number to get to. I guess ultimately we're making the same point, or can at least concede to the middle ground of: the judges are incompetent and should be paying more/any attention to the numbers. If they did, I don't see how they'd give Jones any of the first 3.

To be fair, they probably should be doing something of the sort, it's not like 20-30 is a super high number to get to. I guess ultimately we're making the same point, or can at least concede to the middle ground of: the judges are incompetent and should be paying more/any attention to the numbers. If they did, I don't see how they'd give Jones any of the first 3.
Fair enough, I agree with all but RD 3.

In reality though the Judges have a shit view of the fight and can easily miss a lot, hence the importance of always being the one moving forward giving the illusion of control.

The only real way to fix this is by having 5 Judges sequestered backstage in separate sound proof rooms watching from the same advantageous view we do minus the commentary and any possible influence due to crowd reactions.

I feel questionable decisions will be far less likely if not eliminated altogether under these conditions.

Maybe they could overturn a decision....but it damn sure wouldn't be this one.

If Reyes was worried about a shitty decision he probably should have pressed the action more.

He was literally throwing twice as many strikes as Jones. Just because he was taking the outside of the octagon and moving well doesn't mean he wasn't the busier fighter.

Chris Leben must be the GOAT in your eyes.

Pure corruption. I feel bad for Reyes

Fair enough, I agree with all but RD 3.

In reality though the Judges have a shit view of the fight and can easily miss a lot, hence the importance of always being the one moving forward giving the illusion of control.

The only real way to fix this is by having 5 Judges sequestered backstage in separate sound proof rooms watching from the same advantageous view we do minus the commentary and any possible influence due to crowd reactions.

I feel questionable decisions will be far less likely if not eliminated altogether under these conditions.
Yeah I agree 100% with this. This system would be a marked improvement at the very least, and for the life of me I don't know why they do implement something along these lines.

Yeah I agree 100% with this. This system would be a marked improvement at the very least, and for the life of me I don't know why they do implement something along these lines.
Either do I dude, it seems so obvious too me but here we are 100+ years later and the system remains the same.

Depends on the RD.

RD.3, the RD this fight ultimately comes down too, they were extremely close with Jon having the better percentages as well as a clear advantage in "Octagon control".

Ultimately though percentages only matter after the fight when the numbers come out and show who was the more efficient striker and who was more efficient defensively, they don't really play a role in real time judging.
Octagon control only matters if the striking is equal it was not Reyes out landed Jones through the first three rounds he landed more signifigant strikes and more head strikes all of those are more important than connect percentage and octagon control.

You cant fault reyes in this. He gassed but he gassed when he was up 3 rounds.
Except he wasn’t up three rounds.

Did you fault Hendricks for coasting round 5 when he had already won rounds 1,2, and 4 against your boy gsp?

Did you fault Hendricks for coasting round 5 when he had already won rounds 1,2, and 4 against your boy gsp?

If you know how to score a fight correctly he was up 3 rounds to 0 going into the 4th.

Gsp is God. Dont bring him into these schenanigans.

It's not incompetence. It's corruption
I don't understand this line of thinking. If Jones lost then an immediate rematch would take place. Champs who defend their titles multiple times almost always get a rematch when they finally lose. A rematch would be huge for the UFC and a money maker. I'm inclined to believe it was just incompetence.

Nice to know your ‘unbiased’ opinion is always the one that’s correct.

I'm not claiming i'm always correct. All i'm saying is Reyes hit Jones more in the first 3 rounds, hit him more in the head and landed more significant strikes while there was no effective grappling so I don't see how anyone could score any of the first three rounds for Jones unless they are either incompetent or corrupt.

Fucking Christ I hope that's a fake account

If this cunt is seriously ignoring significant strikes landed because someone walked forward more he needs to be fired ASAP

I remember in boxing there was controversy about Pacquiao vs Bradley, after the fight the organization went with a 5 judges panel to re-watch the fight, they had Pacquiao winning and still nothing happened.

Four days after the fight, Valcarcel said in a statement on June 13, 2012, that, though the WBO did not doubt the ability of the scoring judges, the WBO's Championship Committee would review the video of the fight with five independent, competent and recognized international judges and make a recommendation.[132] On June 21, 2012, the five WBO Championship Committee judges on the review panel announced that Pacquiao should have won, with all five judges scoring the fight in Pacquiao's favor 117–111, 117–111, 118–110, 116–112 and 115–113. The WBO cannot overturn the result of the fight (only the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) would be able to do so), but recommended a rematch between the fighters.[133]
Serious? Is there a clip of this?
During Andrea Lee fight, it was a robbery imo, one judge gave her a 30-27 iirc, then in the Lewis fight (which i believe he won) Cruz made another comment about it.

Landing more strikes does not mean winning the round, if that’s what you’re getting at.

Also, every strike landed is not a clean and effective strike if that’s what you were also trying to get at.

If you watch the second round, most of the only real clean and effective strikes Reyes landed were the low kicks, and most of his punches were just shoeshining...

The clean and EFFECTIVE strikes landed in that round came from Jones.

Reyes‘ strikes were much better in the 3rd when he settled into his punches more and was on his bicycle less.

Back