Media Calzahge-Manfredo: This is one of the worst stoppages, ref stops it over missed punches

The best part was the rationalization of the announcers as Calzaghe is pawing like a cat whiffing on every punch.

Tidwell is so hated posters are like. “ oh well he wouldn’t have won anyway” just to disagree.

That’s about as absurd as the stoppage.

Hated?
Come off it.

Weird stoppage? Sure.... but Manfredo wasn't doing anything in that fight to make it seem like he was going to beat Joe.
Joe flurried on him and there's differences of opinions as to the level of threat for him.

And it's not like Manfredo's career was sidelined because of a bad stoppage from this fight.
That was 2007 and he was still having meaningful fights in 2013.

The problem with this fight was it was Manfredo who was a c-level fighter against an all time great. He was severely outclassed and was apparent from the opening bell. If the ref had let the fight go on it we would have seen a career-ending beating. YES it was premature but Manfredo didn't even have a punchers chance to win, he was just so out of his depth. That's why no one who knows about boxing complains about the stoppage.

The best part was the rationalization of the announcers as Calzaghe is pawing like a cat whiffing on every punch.

Tidwell is so hated posters are like. “ oh well he wouldn’t have won anyway” just to disagree.

That’s about as absurd as the stoppage.
You are very misguided and obviously weren't that aware of the levels of ability regarding Calzaghe and Manfredo. Manfredo was an average pro boxer. He was never going to set the world alight but he got a big boost in publicity from appearing the Contender. So a lot of people knew his name and thought he could go places because he looked ok on the show against a bunch of no hopers. Then he gets a fight with arguably the second greatest SMW of all time ( I put him behind only RJJ). It cannot be stated enough but it was a massive step up in class for Manfredo and if you watched the opening rounds of the fight you would know that he was hopelessly outclassed. It wasn't competitive in the slightest. So when Tidwell comes on here making a thread saying how unfair it was the Manfredo was pulled out prematurely people like me that follow boxing and knew the background to the fight know that it's a really silly stance to take. Manfredo would have never won that fight in a million years, and he likely would have been very badly hurt if that fight were allowed to continue. And Tidwell just shows his lack of boxing knowledge by claiming that Calzaghe would 'punch' himself out lol

A lot of slapping from what I recall

Poor stoppage really
But Manfredo wasn't gonna win but did think it should have have lasted more than 3 rounds? I think it was 3

10+ years ago live is what I am recalling fro.

You are very misguided and obviously weren't that aware of the levels of ability regarding Calzaghe and Manfredo. Manfredo was an average pro boxer. He was never going to set the world alight but he got a big boost in publicity from appearing the Contender. So a lot of people knew his name and thought he could go places because he looked ok on the show against a bunch of no hopers. Then he gets a fight with arguably the second greatest SMW of all time ( I put him behind only RJJ). It cannot be stated enough but it was a massive step up in class for Manfredo and if you watched the opening rounds of the fight you would know that he was hopelessly outclassed. It wasn't competitive in the slightest. So when Tidwell comes on here making a thread saying how unfair it was the Manfredo was pulled out prematurely people like me that follow boxing and knew the background to the fight know that it's a really silly stance to take. Manfredo would have never won that fight in a million years, and he likely would have been very badly hurt if that fight were allowed to continue. And Tidwell just shows his lack of boxing knowledge by claiming that Calzaghe would 'punch' himself out lol

I’m aware of what you say but
That’s ridiculous reasoning. Why even have the fight? As if the favorite wins every fight.
And you’re taking a stance of boxing knowledge superiority. It’s just absurd.
I never said he would punch himself out. I’m saying he’s not even punching him and looked
Like a cat pawing at yarn.
We have the benefit of slow motion replay that shows he’s not landing anything.

I don’t have a dog in this fight just that the stoppage was bad. Which it’s pretty obvious.
It’s also the third round in the biggest fight of Manfredos life.
A bad stoppage is a bad stoppage and that’s a really bad one.

You’re either bothered so bad by Tidwell or hate Manfredo or such a huge fan of calzaghe that’s it’s blinding you from see the obvious.

I’m not saying Manfredo would have won. But he should have been afforded the opportunity to find out.

I’m aware of what you say but
That’s ridiculous reasoning. Why even have the fight? As if the favorite wins every fight.
And you’re taking a stance of boxing knowledge superiority. It’s just absurd.
I never said he would punch himself out. I’m saying he’s not even punching him and looked
Like a cat pawing at yarn.
We have the benefit of slow motion replay that shows he’s not landing anything.

I don’t have a dog in this fight just that the stoppage was bad. Which it’s pretty obvious.
It’s also the third round in the biggest fight of Manfredos life.
A bad stoppage is a bad stoppage and that’s a really bad one.

You’re either bothered so bad by Tidwell or hate Manfredo or such a huge fan of calzaghe that’s it’s blinding you from see the obvious.

I’m not saying Manfredo would have won. But he should have been afforded the opportunity to find out.
I don't get why you are so upset that a guy with no chance to win got stopped early. I'm not disagreeing that it got stopped early I'm just asking you honestly do you think Manfredo could have won that fight? I would have bet my house on Manfredo losing if it were allowed to continue and by stoppage at that. There have been many travesties in boxing but this is not one of them.

I don't get why you are so upset that a guy with no chance to win got stopped early. I'm not disagreeing that it got stopped early I'm just asking you honestly do you think Manfredo could have won that fight?

I’m not upset at all. I said it was a very bad stoppage.
As I said I’m not saying Manfredo would have won the fight. Just that the stoppage
Was clearly bad and he never had the opportunity to win the fight.

I’m not upset at all. I said it was a very bad stoppage.
As I said I’m not saying Manfredo would have won the fight. Just that the stoppage
Was clearly bad and he never had the opportunity to win the fight.
No argument except that imho he never had any opportunity to win that fight. Fight shouldn't have ever been made.

No argument except that imho he never had any opportunity to win that fight. Fight shouldn't have ever been made.

But it was so let them fight a little bit. That’s all.

I remember this fight years ago. Peter Manfredo goes to the UK to fight Joe Calzaghe. The ref stops the fight over some weak ass flurries of slap punches, and many of them were missing, Manfredo was covering up which is what a lot of fighters do to black with the double guard this ref through out the fight was eager to find a moment to give the fight to Calzaghe

One of the worst stoppages ever. I time stamped it make sure you watch the slow mo replay lol its funny those last punches didn't even land and Manfredo was ducking and slipping those slaps yet the ref jumps in. He saved Joe he knew Manfredo would mount a comeback and Joe could punch himself out so he jumps in to stop it before Manfredo and come back with his own.

ya, that was embarrassing. Herb Dean level of weak.

Nice to see Calzaghe’s insane volume and speed again. I had forgotten that mans output.

Hated?
Come off it.

Weird stoppage? Sure.... but Manfredo wasn't doing anything in that fight to make it seem like he was going to beat Joe.
Joe flurried on him and there's differences of opinions as to the level of threat for him.

And it's not like Manfredo's career was sidelined because of a bad stoppage from this fight.
That was 2007 and he was still having meaningful fights in 2013.

Man, the point is that it’s a bad stoppage. That’s what the threads about and I said yeah it was a bad stoppage.
It was the third round should he showed more in the 7 min

Nothing is relevant other than you saying “weird stoppage”

I just thinks it’s odd to say. He wasn’t going to win anyways.
Not that ya did but others.

Man, the point is that it’s a bad stoppage. That’s what the threads about and I said yeah it was a bad stoppage.
It was the third round should he showed more in the 7 min

Nothing is relevant other than you saying “weird stoppage”

I just thinks it’s odd to say. He wasn’t going to win anyways.
Not that ya did but others.
Yeah anyone who says he wasn't going to win anyway doesn't know boxing, we will never know. Manfreo was never getting hurt and he is a slow starter, at least let the man go put on his shield or give him a fair chance it was his first and only title shot. Upsets happen in boxing and to say some guy like manfredo wasnt going to win anyway is ignorant. Was calzaghe the favorite yup, but stuff can happen in boxing its why they call it theater of unexpected.

Amazing the mental gymnastics some posters are performing to avoid just saying, “ya, thats a bad stoppage”

Like, all those excuses aside, if you are in charge of refereeing youre going to use this clip as an example of what not to do. Educationally, technically, as far as employing the rules of the sport and keeping them on track - the stoppage was wrong.

Amazing the mental gymnastics some posters are performing to avoid just saying, “ya, thats a bad stoppage”

Like, all those excuses aside, if you are in charge of refereeing youre going to use this clip as an example of what not to do. Educationally, technically, as far as employing the rules of the sport and keeping them on track - the stoppage was wrong.
What's more amazing are the mental gymnastics that some people are using to make this one of the 'Worst' stoppages. It's not even close. Boxers have been stopped for less in fights they were winning. This doesn't even come close to being the worst stoppage ever. Was this bad referring, undoubtedly. Was this one of the worst stoppages ever, not even close!

Calzahge, overrated as hell
he spent so long underrated that i dont mind.

I remember for years he couldnt get a fight with an American, and it was visually obvious he was good enough. There was a real anti-Euro, they arent tough enough mentality in the 90s. Calzaghe helped change that, and then all the Russian and Eastern Euro heavyweights.

Calzaghe was a very nice boxer with limitless cardio and output and a solid chin.
Couldnt crack an egg, though.

he spent so long underrated that i dont mind.

I remember for years he couldnt get a fight with an American, and it was visually obvious he was good enough. There was a real anti-Euro, they arent tough enough mentality in the 90s. Calzaghe helped change that, and then all the Russian and Eastern Euro heavyweights.

Calzaghe was a very nice boxer with limitless cardio and output and a solid chin.
Couldnt crack an egg, though.

That's one of the biggest shames in boxing. When he was younger before his hand troubles he was one of the biggest punchers out there. He even managed to put Eubank Sr on his back side, and only Benn had done that. But then he couldn't punch with authority because of his hand troubles. There is the theory that his slappy style is what gave him hand issues and that would make sense.

What's more amazing are the mental gymnastics that some people are using to make this one of the 'Worst' stoppages. It's not even close. Boxers have been stopped for less in fights they were winning. This doesn't even come close to being the worst stoppage ever. Was this bad referring, undoubtedly. Was this one of the worst stoppages ever, not even close!

This was one of the worst I ever seen those last 10 punches all missed and looked like a cat playing with a ball of yarn the way joe was slapping the air at the end. This fight was just getting started they barely broke a sweat, show me more fights that were stopped for less that early? This was a suspect stoppage.

This was one of the worst I ever seen those last 10 punches all missed and looked like a cat playing with a ball of yarn the way joe was slapping the air at the end. This fight was just getting started they barely broke a sweat, show me more fights that were stopped for less that early? This was a suspect stoppage.
Manfredo had barely landed one good shot on Calzaghe in 3 rounds. I ask you honestly would you have bet your house on Manfredo winning if the fight had been allowed to continue? Because I would have bet mine on Calzaghe. Be honest.

Back