Media Calzahge-Manfredo: This is one of the worst stoppages, ref stops it over missed punches

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I remember this fight years ago. Peter Manfredo goes to the UK to fight Joe Calzaghe. The ref stops the fight over some weak ass flurries of slap punches, and many of them were missing, Manfredo was covering up which is what a lot of fighters do to black with the double guard this ref through out the fight was eager to find a moment to give the fight to Calzaghe

One of the worst stoppages ever. I time stamped it make sure you watch the slow mo replay lol its funny those last punches didn't even land and Manfredo was ducking and slipping those slaps yet the ref jumps in. He saved Joe he knew Manfredo would mount a comeback and Joe could punch himself out so he jumps in to stop it before Manfredo and come back with his own.

Who is this Calzahge guy ? Seems legit.

I remember this fight years ago. Peter Manfredo goes to the UK to fight Joe Calzaghe. The ref stops the fight over some weak ass flurries of slap punches, and many of them were missing, Manfredo was covering up which is what a lot of fighters do to black with the double guard this ref through out the fight was eager to find a moment to give the fight to Calzaghe

One of the worst stoppages ever. I time stamped it make sure you watch the slow mo replay lol its funny those last punches didn't even land and Manfredo was ducking and slipping those slaps yet the ref jumps in. He saved Joe he knew Manfredo would mount a comeback and Joe could punch himself out so he jumps in to stop it before Manfredo and come back with his own.

You may have a bit of a point but then you say something entirely clueless like Calzaghe might punch himself out. Calzaghe had the best engine of any SMW in the history of the sport. He wouldn't have punched himself out. And Manfredo was being comprehensively outclassed, i.e. he had no chance to win the fight. Early stoppage yeah, would it have changed the result, no way.

Calzahge, overrated as hell
I still cant believe this ref stopped it the slow made me laugh one of the commentators tried his hardest to make it sound like the punches landed but the slow mo showed all those slapping shots toward the end missed and Manfredo dipped and avoided them.

Fight should have been stopped during the pre-fight press conference.

It was a premature stoppage but Calzaghe never punched himself out as far as I know, and the idea that he would have done so against Manfredo is absurd.

You have to have a chance to win. Ref can stop a fight whenever he wants. I've seen it before, literally heard refs straight up say "you have to have a chance to win" to complaining fighters who were stopped, you have to...

Wait, why am I actually responding to a Tidwell thread?

It was a complete mismatch of a fight, they tend to be stopped quickly. Unless you are this guy
https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fmaven-user-photos%2Fbjpenn%2Fmma-news%2FX3HosD41PkGPxtoupWxbaQ%2FQKxVUZiT80KGYSSJuZPHUA

You have to have a chance to win. Ref can stop a fight whenever he wants. I've seen it before, literally heard refs straight up say "you have to have a chance to win" to complaining fighters who were stopped, you have to...

Wait, why am I actually responding to a Tidwell thread?

He fooled us by making a thread not mentioning Pac... I'm still trying to figure out how this relates to Pac

This is all Joshua has to do in the rematch to earn a stoppage.

This is all Joshua has to do in the rematch to earn a stoppage.

Yeah good luck landing 25 consecutive unanswered punches on Ruiz (including blocked punches). lol he would get KTFO easily if he tried this.

He didn't "save" Calzaghe.
that's a silly thing to say.

I didn't like the stoppage.... but Manfredo beating Calzaghe would be about as likely as a reasoned thought being expressed by Tidwell.

He didn't "save" Calzaghe.
that's a silly thing to say.

I didn't like the stoppage.... but Manfredo beating Calzaghe would be about as likely as a reasoned thought being expressed by Tidwell.
Well anything can happen in boxing, Buster douglas beat Tyson, Jeff Horn beat Pacman, Andy ruiz beat Joshua, etc. at least Give Manfredo a shot. They ruined the biggest opportunity of his career let the man go out on his shield or give him a shot. That ref was insane for that. Those several punches all missed at the end.

This was an atrocious stoppage. Probably one of the worst you'll ever see. Although the Demetrice King and Stiverne stoppage was equally as bad.

Tidwell seems to know nothing about boxing outside of a few Mayweather fights he's watched. Guy talks like he started watching the sport 6 months ago, Calzaghe's gas tank was legendary, probably his defining characteristic as a fighter. Punch himself out, LOL

The best part was the rationalization of the announcers as Calzaghe is pawing like a cat whiffing on every punch.

Tidwell is so hated posters are like. “ oh well he wouldn’t have won anyway” just to disagree.

That’s about as absurd as the stoppage.

Tidwell seems to know nothing about boxing outside of a few Mayweather fights he's watched. Guy talks like he started watching the sport 6 months ago, Calzaghe's gas tank was legendary, probably his defining characteristic as a fighter. Punch himself out, LOL
The ref stopped it, calzaghe could have got lit up with a sneaky overhand if Manfredo was allowed, Calzaghe threw slappy punches after that last flurry I guarantee you he would have tried to get a second wind.

The best part was the rationalization of the announcers as Calzaghe is pawing like a cat whiffing on every punch.

Tidwell is so hated posters are like. “ oh well he wouldn’t have won anyway” just to disagree.

That’s about as absurd as the stoppage.
yeah, they just wanna hate on me.

The ref stopped it badly, they denied Manfredo a chance on his biggest stage. Let the man go out with some dignity who the hell stops it when the guy isnt even hurt and the last slappy punches all missed.

I felt bad for Manfredo you can tell he came in shape, he was also on a good win streak and training outta wild card with his pops and Roach. I hate seeing shit like this, its sad stuff a fighter trains so hard is motivated gets a title shot in enemy Territory only for the ref to stop it like that when he was in no danger.

Now Manfredo works at as a janitor at the arena he used to fight at.

yeah, they just wanna hate on me.

The ref stopped it badly, they denied Manfredo a chance on his biggest stage. Let the man go out with some dignity who the hell stops it when the guy isnt even hurt and the last slappy punches all missed.

I felt bad for Manfredo you can tell he came in shape, he was also on a good win streak and training outta wild card with his pops and Roach. I hate seeing shit like this, its sad stuff a fighter trains so hard is motivated gets a title shot in enemy Territory only for the ref to stop it like that when he was in no danger.

Now Manfredo works at as a janitor at the arena he used to fight at.

Yeah I read that about Manfredo awhile back.
Pretty sad read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back