Calzaghe split with promoter Warren

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by JordanLUFC, Jun 24, 2008.

1. JordanLUFC

JordanLUFC Red Belt

2. Wigglyman

Wigglyman Brown Belt

About 12 years too late!

3. Fedor Calzaghe**

Fedor Calzaghe** Banned Banned

Too late for what?

4. 5acrossYOeye

5acrossYOeye Silver Belt

"The dominoes began to fall Tuesday when light heavyweight and super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe ended his relationship with promoter Frank Warren.

That Calzaghe severed ties with Warren means he will try to finalize a fall showdown with Roy Jones Jr. rather than a fight with middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik, which Warren was pushing."

courtesy:espn.com

If the above is correct then as a fan I'm bummed.

5. Mr_Helmer

Mr_Helmer Blue Belt

Calzaghe has said he is likely to retire after one more fight and I guess he doesn't like the idea of risking a bout with The Ghost. I think he has decided that he wants to retire undefeated and Jones is past it. He will really look stupid if Jones knocks him out.

6. K-oss

K-oss White Belt

No Shit, Calzaghe has had an illustrious career together with Warren, it's not like Hatton and Warren where Warren demised the idea of Hatton fighting the big names right away, so they split.

Doesnt seem to be the case here

Question is...if Cal loses, is his legacy tarnished?

Joe can hang em up now and go down as the one of the greatest of all time, low reward high risk if you ask me, he should just retire, a win over Jones will not catapult him any further whereas A Jones win will catapult back him back to the aura of greatest p4p of all time.

7. XiaolinSoldier

XiaolinSoldier Black Belt

Nothing Jones can do will bring him back to all time P4P greatest, although a win over Calzaghe would definately help to rebuild his legacy, at least in a way.
    As for Calzaghe.... well as great as he is its pretty easy to nitpick his career and make him out to be less than he is. That said, its not like RJJ is the lock for his legacy or all time status, but it certainly helps.
    Calzaghe is at a place where 1 or 2 big fights will have a huge impact on how he is remembered. With him its like Eubank, then years of blah, then Lacy, Kessler and an aging Hopkins. Thats not really enough, if you ask me.
    Calzaghe's best bet to secure himself would be to beat RJJ, and if Kelly can get through a couple or fights a solidify himself, to face him as well. Although its likely he will retire after the RJJ fight.
    Really I cant blame Joe for his choice, Id probably fight RJJ and retire to, boxing is a tough game and hes been at it a long, long time.

8. XiaolinSoldier

XiaolinSoldier Black Belt

Double post.

9. Fedor Calzaghe**

Fedor Calzaghe** Banned Banned

I love both Calzaghe and Pavlik but if they ever fought I don't think Pavlik would win. It would be one hell of a fight though, that's for sure.

10. ca_styles

ca_styles Purple Belt

im intrested weather Amir Kahn is gonna get frustrated with Warren cause he needs to fight the big dogs now.

11. carpediem

carpediem Blue Belt

It does seem that FW is the man for slowly developing a fighter early in thier career but he doesn't seem able to take them all the way.

12. JordanLUFC

JordanLUFC Red Belt

I said far too late because Warren has had Calzaghe fighting mandatory defences over guys he could beat easily for far too long. He should of been fighting the best in the world 5 years ago

13. I never liked Warren.

14. Wigglyman

Wigglyman Brown Belt

Who does? Although his column (I think it's in The Sun) is usually good for a chuckle. The man twists everything to make him come out better.

15. snepin14

snepin14 Brown Belt

i hope rjj woops his ass, first cause that's what i would want to happen (rjj = my fav) but also because joe is ducking pavlik and the ghost would woop his ass too

its annoying how joe paws at his opponents

16. brian13

brian13 Brown Belt

Frank Warren is a fucking joke to boxing , all his fighters hold the titles with the WBO or WBU