Calvin and Hobbes the best ever.

basing a lot of the content on two philosophers studies/teachings/learnings but using a kid and his toy tiger to express them in utterly hilarious ways is the icing on the cake.

smart comics and cartoons that comment on society in such ways are priceless. early simpsons and alot of south park do it very well just like calvin and hobbes did.

Yeah, but I think the genius of Watterson is that he made a strip with very adult concepts and vocabulary but that was also loved by children.

I remember having to look up a lot of these words as a 6th grader.

Yeah, but I think the genius of Watterson is that he made a strip with very adult concepts and vocabulary but that was also loved by children.
Tbh, for me C&H always felt more like a comic for grown ups than for kids.
I wonder if/how much I would have liked it as a child.

Yep.
I'm really glad it's fake.

(I do think it's kinda "good" tho - in a not nice way)
I think it's a good message to parents on what all these drugs are doing to kids.

Big part of my childhood. Made me want to draw comics when I was younger. My dad would never buy me the books from the Scholastic book ordering things though. He said they were too expensive. I don't even know how I obtained my copies of the books. I think I stole them from the library lol.

This is the last Calvin and Hobbes comic strip

f24e872f71e0acded4d9073b627e840e.jpg

Used to read it all the time when I was a kid. Had a couple of hardback anthologies and any number of comic books.

Always gave me a bit of an eerie feeling, to be honest. Like Calvin was destined not to make it in the real world as an adult. I think most people will agree there is an strong undercurrent of unruhe in the Calvin and Hobbes strip, even moreso than in Peanuts which is more of a timeless existential musing.

Last edited:
I got the box set for Christmas.

the-complete-calvin-and-hobbes.jpg

I got that myself, alongside the Far Side Collection.

But C&H is the all time GOAT comic strip by far imo. Nothing else comes close. It's more than just funny. It's poignant, insightful, philosophical, relatable, endearing and also funny. Bill Watterson did for comic strips what guys like Frank Miller and Alan Moore did for comics, he showed the medium could do so much more than what people were doing with it.

I remember having to look up a lot of these words as a 6th grader.
To be honest there's still some words in Calvin and Hobbes that I still don't know the meaning off.

Always preferred The Far Side. Calvin and Hobbes was good though.

Comic strip collections were a way my parents got me and my brother to start reading from a young age. I always loved The Far Side. Foxtrot was another one that I grew up reading that I still go back to and enjoy. Nothing comes close to Calvin & Hobbes. Nothing ever will.

That is so fantastic I now officially owe you a favor.
The snowmen strip or the gif?

I've had it for a while, just
never had an appropriate
thread to use it. It reminds
me of some mind bending
journeys I've had with friends
in the woods.

The snowmen strip or the gif?

I've had it for a while, just
never had an appropriate
thread to use it. It reminds
me of some mind bending
journeys I've had with friends
in the woods.

The gif.

Best part is reading C&H as a kid and totally seeing/reading it from Calvin's perspective, and then re-reading as an adult and reading it from the fathers perspective.

I have the same feeling about the Wonder Years. I was watching them on Netflix. New perspective now that I'm an adult with kids.

Back