1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Calories?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by ss4vegeta1, Oct 11, 2010.

1. ss4vegeta1

ss4vegeta1 Blue Belt

Do you still count calories? Is it necessary? If so why?

2. markulous

markulous Black Belt

3. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

It's not necessary for most people.

Furthermore, between the difficulty of accurately calculating energy intake, and the even greater difficulty of accurately calculating energy expenditure, it's hardly even feasible unless you have what is, in my opinion, an unhealthy obsession with the task.

4. Itka

Itka White Belt

When I lost 40 kg in a year I was counting strictly. Now however I have a much better feel for what I'm supposed to eat in a day. It's a useful tool, however I agree with Xtrainer, it's not for everyone, it's no silver bullet and it takes some effort.

5. junkyard dog

junkyard dog Orange Belt

I also do not, I just eat clean 95% of the day everyday. I find that it is much harder to eat too much when you make smart, healthy choices as compared to dirty, junk type foods.

Solid workouts also help with everything

6. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

I didn't count calories at all when I dropped weight or when I bulked. To me, it's really easy to determine what to do. My diet at the time had me maintaining weight. The goal was to drop weight. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that I needed to eat less. I would pick out the things that I could do without, and not eat them. That would work for a while, and then I'd stall. I'd repeat the same process. Pretty simple.

7. 10thpjj

10thpjj Green Belt

When I'm dieting for a fight, yes!

Otherwise no.

8. I do. Obsessively...at least when i'm competing. but that's just my personality...when i'm not competing i'm very lax and just eyeball foods to maybe guesstimate the calories. It's not hard to do on a daily basis really....just takes some getting used to, it's nice knowing about how much is going in...i don't do this for every food (like special occassions or going out), some just aren't worth the hassle.

If you're looking to lose fat just make sure you have a slight calorie deficit so you lose 1-3lbs a week (1lb if you're leaner, 3lbs if you're fatter...this takes some patience and trial and error), you're getting enough protein (like 1g per kg of lean mass, or simpler .8g per lb) , and you're doing some sort of resistance exercise for the sake of sparing muscle. Also for health's sake eat your veggies and get your EFAs and Multivitamins. Protein shakes are OK for convenience, just remember that they wont fill you up and may leave you hungry at times, whole protein sources are preferable.

Everything else like cardio, meal timing, how much fat vs. carbs you're eating, etc etc, doesn't hugely affect fat loss for the majority of people, you'd have to do an unreal amount of cardio daily to even make a noticable chip in your fat loss....unless you're a high level athlete who works out for hours on end and burns 6000 calories a day and needs optimum performance i wouldn't split hairs over all those largely insignificant details. Though, the more you exercise (ie. cardio), the more you can eat.....

Just focus on the protein, calorie deficit/weekly loss, and getting your veggies and fish oil. Resistance training would help you keep some lean mass while losing weight as well.

That's how you lose fat at the most basic and practical level, no frills, no hassles (except for calorie counting), works real good if you're a typical fatass or an out of shape guy, if you're already lean or getting pretty close, or a competitive athlete you may need something more specialized.