Calling Connor "GOAT in the making" is fun, but there's only one real future GOAT

MMASuperfan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Watching Connor's rise has been a lot of fun. I really like this guy.

Calling him the GOAT is a funny joke that you guys can't get enough of.

But in all seriousness, we have a real emerging star who is actually fighting the top guys, making a real case for future GOAT.

ANTHONY PETTIS!

pettis.jpg

Why do we praise Connor? From his own words:
A. he finishes fights
B. he has a creative, unorthodox style
C. he puts on a show and knows how to run his mouth

Why do we detract from Connor?
A. hasn't fought the most elite talent yet
B. he's getting a fast track title shot, skipping the real contenders like Cub and Frankie
C. he hasn't been proved to be well rounded, and hasn't fought a real wrestler

Pettis has everything going for him in the first three (definitely doesn't run his mouth like Connor, but can definitely promote himself as seen by his big sponsor deals)

But Pettis also has done all three of the things Connor hasnt.

He's fought the elite talent, wiping out Melendez, Cerrone and Benson Henderson all in one fellow swoop. Connor hasn't fought ONE GUY as good as those three, and Pettis fought three, in a row, with incredible finishes!

He's also had anything but the fast track to a title shot, having to beg for one while Benson held the belt so long, even though he had a Championship win over Benson and we all knew he could beat him a second time.

And, to address the third thing we detract from Connor, Pettis has actually fought and defeated wrestlers. He's fought and defeated pretty much every type of opponent, and at times has beaten them at their own strength (tooled Cerrone in a striking clinic and out wrestled Henderson en route to tapping him via armbar in the first round...after Henderson JUST GOT HIS BLACKBELT!

Just making this thread because Pettis doesn't get nearly enough credit, and his last three wins are some of the most impressive in the history of MMA in my opinion.

Oh yeah, one more comparison between the two...
Pettis actually has a real shot of beating Aldo!

Let give Anthony the props he deserves. He's filled the void left by Anderson Silva and is clearly the next candidate for GOAT.

Flame on McBitches.

More creative than Connor AND a better wrestler:
ScientificHairyBeetle.gif

More creative and dynamic striking against BETTER opponents:
Showtime-knee.gif

Let's not forget, if Pettis and McMuffin went to the ground, we all know who's tapping:
pettis%2Bvs%2Bmelendez%2Bufc%2B181.jpg

I approve of this thread. Although I thought it was gonna be Jon Blow Jones

you could add The Chris to the "future Goat" discussion.

After Connor gets derailed and knocked out by Aldo, the true GOAT-in-the-making can take a shot, and actually possesses the tools to beat him.

Estrelas-UFC-Foto-Alexandre-LoureiroLANCEPress_LANIMA20130611_0044_1-1.jpg

Pettis has much higher upside than Conor. Pettis damn near cleaned out the division minus Khabib, Dos Anjos, and Johnson, all very winnable fights for Pettis.

Conor not only has to beat Aldo, he has to beat Mendes, Edgar, Cub, Lamas, Bermudez, and possibly KZ.

Don't even know if he can beat 50% of those fights.

I actually think Pettis is too big for Aldo. Almost like the AS vs GSP argument to flare. I think Pettis would probably beat him handily. But not knock him out.

not sure hwo can pettis be GOAT when in the not far future hes gonna be a perennial second in his division

Lol no. Khabib dominates him this year.

The Chris cant go down in weight as he's almost too big for MW. And I find it hard to believe he could go up and beat JBJ. So meh.

Damn straight you can.

I love The Chris. Oh yeah, my favorite fighter? Anderson Silva.

But The Chris, Pettis and Bones are the most impressive fighters of that generation to me, so far. All much more impessive than McGregor. Connor's talk is just more entertaining, while the others are more impressive in the cage.

The Chris vs Bones Jones would make a great superfight one day.

I just think the comparisons I made really stack the two resumes against each other and show that Pettis can and has exceeded everything Connor has done, and should get more hype.

Can you even imagine Connor McMuffin moving up to fight Pettis? He'd be lost in Showtime's ocean of talent.

Mcg isn't fit to carry Pettis or weidman jock strap

Lol no. Khabib dominates him this year.

I see Pettis stuffing the TD, like he did to Gil and Bendo, and putting a big, fat, KO loss on that unblemished record.

Pettis has shown multiple times that he can outwrestle the best and win however he wants.

I can definitely see Pettis tapping Khabib from his back. If you can't see it, I'm not sure what you've been watching.

Pettis is more exciting, more impressive, and would whoop Connor McMuffin's ASS. "Too big?" Lol this is 10 lbs. we're talking. 10 fucking lbs.

And if Pettis can make the weight cut and put up 145 on that scale, he's not too big, ala GSP vs Anderson like someone said in an earlier post. He's juuuuuust right! The scale doesn't lie.

We need to give this guy more appreciation.

I'm a huge fan of Khabib but Pettis is kind of a different beast, I don't care either way I just wanna see the fight, I have no idea who will win but it should be a good one when it happens.

i agree TS Pettis has all the tools to be great but he has to stay healthy and fight more frequently. if he can handily beat Khabib, that would prove a lot about him.

I see Pettis stuffing the TD, like he did to Gil and Bendo, and putting a big, fat, KO loss on that unblemished record.

Pettis has shown multiple times that he can outwrestle the best and win however he wants.

I can definitely see Pettis tapping Khabib from his back. If you can't see it, I'm not sure what you've been watching.

Pettis is more exciting, more impressive, and would whoop Connor McMuffin's ASS. "Too big?" Lol this is 10 lbs. we're talking. 10 fucking lbs.

And if Pettis can make the weight cut and put up 145 on that scale, he's not too big, ala GSP vs Anderson like someone said in an earlier post. He's juuuuuust right! The scale doesn't lie.

We need to give this guy more appreciation.

Pettis vs Conor is the fight I want if Conor beats Aldo, would just be sick!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back