Calling all Half guard players

He used to have an online academy. Seems to be defunct now.
I've got some of the videos on my HD.

There is something on mmatorrents called Half Guard series from 2013? Could it be that?

I have good success with knee shield to underhook half guard, Lucas Leite style.

But you also need to have a lot of other tools for when they stand up (RDLR, SLX entries), when they try to knee slide, against backsteps...

The Lachlan Giles DVD (half guard anthology) was very helpful and very detailed on when and why you try each available sweeps and when to transition to RDLR and other guards. He also

I have some trouble like a lot of people said against some strong guys who can push my head down or effectively whizzer me. I'm also working a lot on my head positionning to avoid guillotines and collar grabs that will put me flat on my back.

Guys with good guards must have great halfs. When it comes down to it a good passer is gonna wanna break u down from half. If he spends 4min finally getting u there and finds u have a whole game and some change... Wooh , his moral shall drop. All of a sudden he's settling for sitting in double guard positions. Next thing u kno ur coming up , but already ahead on the grips . Next thing u kno... Hand raise

My weakest half guard position is dog fight. I always feel like they can pull their leg out.

My weakest half guard position is dog fight. I always feel like they can pull their leg out.
Super common problem when learning it. First make sure you torque their leg as far as you can with your leg hook before you come up to dogfight. This will keep everything more controlled as you attack and prevent them from just straightening their leg and giving you deep half. When in dogfight putting weight on the trapped leg helps control it.
Often the problem is in how you get to dogfight. You can either control their knee with your hand or instead of going back and extracting the bottom leg just push them forward and they will move not to fall and you don't need to do risky leg work.

Super common problem when learning it. First make sure you torque their leg as far as you can with your leg hook before you come up to dogfight. This will keep everything more controlled as you attack and prevent them from just straightening their leg and giving you deep half. When in dogfight putting weight on the trapped leg helps control it.
Often the problem is in how you get to dogfight. You can either control their knee with your hand or instead of going back and extracting the bottom leg just push them forward and they will move not to fall and you don't need to do risky leg work.
this is gold I will try this next week

Guess I got that detail wrong. For me it's all the same. The only difference is how I get there. Leg hook or lockdown? Either way my goal is to get unders and up to my knees.

The sweeps are the same but the leg hook makes every single dog fight sweep easier. If you have the hook they can't turn their hips toward you. They can't tripod to drive you down with their whizzer. They HAVE to put weight on you almost entirely over your hips.

Back