Calling all Half guard players

The limp arm is trash. I have a better way of removing the whizzer from Caios website.
With the roll under you need to do the hooking leg heel to your butt, knee torque/off balance sort of movement.

Limp arm is trash for me too. It's an option for others though. Personally I sweep when they counter. Or I'll reach my arm up to their shoulder and throw my leg over to get the far hook. There are lots of options from that position. But I figure if you have weak shoulders, you have skinny arms. If you have skinny arms, limp arm is a good option.

What's Caio's method?

If they are hiding their far arm and far leg so you can't sweep them grabbing any of those move your underhook to their shoulder and do your leg curl off balance going forward. That puts enough pressure that they either let it go or get close and you sweep them. I have seen wrestlers do the limp arm *after* shelfing the leg. Got to try that to that when I am back to training.

Last edited:
Yeah, my coaches tell me to limp arm but I never feel like it's a viable option in a live roll. I already have the underhook, I don't want to give that up. Stephan Kesting had a wrestler on talking about underhooking properly in a video not too long ago. He grabs the far shoulder killing the whizzer. I do switch grips with my underhook depending on how my opponent is countering. If they're trying to repummel for the underhook, grabbing their far shoulder prevents that, but yeah, a good wrestler is hard to deal with when I'm in dogfight with proper grips.

As for getting "perfect unders," I don't get the second underhook because I'm using that free arm to underhook the far thigh so that they can't backstep or base out too much. Also, by underhooking their far thigh, my elbow blocks them from trying to knee slice.

Against wrestlers can you connect your hands in the dog fight? I feel when I get that that when they are on the knees combined with the leg hook that takedowns everyone I have tried. For standing opponents Lucas does a cutback.

Yeah, my coaches tell me to limp arm but I never feel like it's a viable option in a live roll. I already have the underhook, I don't want to give that up. Stephan Kesting had a wrestler on talking about underhooking properly in a video not too long ago. He grabs the far shoulder killing the whizzer. I do switch grips with my underhook depending on how my opponent is countering. If they're trying to repummel for the underhook, grabbing their far shoulder prevents that, but yeah, a good wrestler is hard to deal with when I'm in dogfight with proper grips.

As for getting "perfect unders," I don't get the second underhook because I'm using that free arm to underhook the far thigh so that they can't backstep or base out too much. Also, by underhooking their far thigh, my elbow blocks them from trying to knee slice.

So check it out. You're on your side. You're hugging the guy's waist. Your ear is on their navel. They have a whizzer in. If they back step, all you have to do is twist them back and you're on top.

Also, let them base out. It just makes it easier to go for the plan B or electric chair. In fact, sometimes I weakly underhook the leg to make them react by basing out. Then I see if the electric chair is there. If not, I get my waist lock and get up to dog fight, they're already in position to push into me. And that momentum makes it easier to take them back over me with the plan B. That far leg base is pretty useless other than preventing the initial sweep.

The far shoulder grip is money. But I only use it if I want to sink my far hook and take the back.

I think it was more about the sub attempts than the foot work. I also don't do coyote guard exactly like Leite. I use what 10th planet calls "perfect double unders." Basically I have my arms wrapped around the waist. Makes it hard to cross face. Makes it hard for them to pummel for their own underhook. Makes it hard to darce. From watching that vid, a lot of Leite's problems in the match could have been helped with perfect double unders. I don't even attempt coyote guard until I have my unders. Too easy to pass without the unders. And he was just leaving his whole neck out. No bueno. Perfect double unders are life.

yeah but Meregali not allowing himself to get sucked in and sedentary is what forced Leite to settle for weak control. Meregali's constantly moving, always staying on his feet, keeping the engagement open rather than tight, using the submission threats to control the tempo.

for a slower version of the same concept, watch the way Marcelo deals with Eddie Bravo's halfguard; lots of backstepping, stepovers, and always keeping the engagement open and in front of Eddie's grips:

Against wrestlers can you connect your hands in the dog fight? I feel when I get that that when they are on the knees combined with the leg hook that takedowns everyone I have tried. For standing opponents Lucas does a cutback.

That's the only way I play it. I always connect my hands around the waist. It's a much stronger control of the situation.

yeah but Meregali not allowing himself to get sucked in and sedentary is what forced Leite to settle for weak control. Meregali's constantly moving, always staying on his feet, keeping the engagement open rather than tight, using the submission threats to control the tempo.

for a slower version of the same concept, watch the way Marcelo deals with Eddie Bravo's halfguard; lots of backstepping, stepovers, and always keeping the engagement open and behind Eddie's grips:

Marcelo is god. When I first watched that video I was only like a 9 month white belt in a 10th planet school so the only stuff I recognized was Eddie's stuff. I'll have to rewatch it to see what else I can pick up.

Marcelo is god. When I first watched that video I was only like a 9 month white belt in a 10th planet school so the only stuff I recognized was Eddie's stuff. I'll have to rewatch it to see what else I can pick up.

I was a blue belt at a MG-influenced no-gi school at the time this happened, and I remember wondering why Marcelo didn't just "wreck" Eddie lol. Watching it now, it seems like Marcelo viewed it as something of guard passing practice, but at the same time Eddie's slow game is legit enough to slow down even the GOAT himself. More than anything, it shows how MG's approach to that type of half guard is far superior to the one Royler took.

I was a blue belt at a MG-influenced no-gi school at the time this happened, and I remember wondering why Marcelo didn't just "wreck" Eddie lol. Watching it now, it seems like Marcelo viewed it as something of guard passing practice, but at the same time Eddie's slow game is legit enough to slow down even the GOAT himself. More than anything, it shows how MG's approach to that type of half guard is far superior to the one Royler took.
god only knows what royler was trying to do.

this video proves that eddie is better than what others claim. for all his haters he created a decent method of bjj. especially for white and blue belts.

I think it was more about the sub attempts than the foot work. I also don't do coyote guard exactly like Leite. I use what 10th planet calls "perfect double unders." Basically I have my arms wrapped around the waist. Makes it hard to cross face. Makes it hard for them to pummel for their own underhook. Makes it hard to darce. From watching that vid, a lot of Leite's problems in the match could have been helped with perfect double unders. I don't even attempt coyote guard until I have my unders. Too easy to pass without the unders. And he was just leaving his whole neck out. No bueno. Perfect double unders are life.

Video?

Drysdale does the same thing in his half guard series:
upload_2019-1-17_7-58-53.jpeg

Shelf = getting my inside leg under the leg I'm controlling?
Leg ride = stepping over and controlling both his legs and/or throwing in a farside hook?

For shelfing basically you're wanting to get in between his legs behind him (though shelfing with the near leg to bowl them over is also something some guys do).

Riding legs can be with a single leg/cross body ride (ie, 'the truck') or double leg ride (ie, 'both hooks').

Some examples in practice:

(step around vs whizzer)

@3:30

(shelfing vs whizzer)

(throwby or cutback vs standing up)

(chest wrap throwby)

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing the vid. I definitely saw things I didn’t notice before. I’ve studied Marcelo’s game online for years so I saw a lot of stuff I already do.

The way he killed the lockdown at the end wasn’t even with the legs. It started with the shoulder pressure. Marcelo’s squeeze is insane. But yeah, he drained the soul out of Eddie and Eddie finally relented. Funny enough, this happened a while before Eddie’s match with Royler. It seems that the mistakes he made in this roll with Marcelo were corrected and that’s what made the difference in the Royler match. That’s the cool thing about Eddie. He’s always tweaking details here and there. In that video I see a lot of old 10th planet. Against Royler you saw the newer stuff like staying clasped around the waist.

This is my favorite half guard position. I switch between lockdown and that coyote leg hook depending on which way I want to go or depending on how my partner reacts.

This is how I get to dogfight. Except I’ll torque the knee a bit with the leg hook.

Last edited:
I saw Rodolfo use s double underhook style of coyote half against Ben Henderson at the adcc. I have a problem with people I'm not a lot bigger than back stepping if I do that.

I saw Rodolfo use s double underhook style of coyote half against Ben Henderson at the adcc. I have a problem with people I'm not a lot bigger than back stepping if I do that.

I don’t think I know what back stepping is. From what I think it is, a back step would give up the sweep. Video of a back step?

Back