Calling all Half guard players

thugpoet

The Dredd Wolf
@Brown
Reaction score
In my day it was spider, and closed guard that most people where using in gi. But I always loved the direct path to the back that half guard offers. Not saying other positions don't offer this but half guard allowed me to have a mapped out plan as a rookie.

What about you all. Why did you choose half guard over other gurads?

My half guard is my go to guard, but never the one I start playing. I like spider or lasso guards, or DLR- but if shit is getting serious, or my other stuff is getting shut down, it's half guard time.

I prefer it because it offers me access to so many combinations of positions / sweeps that I can "Throw shit at the wall and see what sticks". I can start in knee shield, punch underhook, go to deep half, bail to a lockdown, throw in a butterfly hook, sweep from Shaolin position, straight wrestle on a single leg, etc. I'm on my side, I'm not getting smashed, life is good.

I am a firm believer in practice the things your game needs or lacks naturally what ever position or art that maybe there are many possibilities for the half guard but the stability of its position is in my honest opinion what is key i don't recommend attempting submissions from this stand point that just my two cents

I am a firm believer in practice the things your game needs or lacks naturally what ever position or art that maybe there are many possibilities for the half guard but the stability of its position is in my honest opinion what is key i don't recommend attempting submissions from this stand point that just my two cents
So you are saying not to attempt subs because of the stability of the position? Idk the karmura is pretty stable from bottom half guard as well.

I started playing half guard as a white belt because the first technique that consistently worked at my gym was 10p lockdown path. I played that for the first 2 years. I got really good at it but wasn't able to do anything to purple belts and higher. Discussed with a friend about it and he was also a half guard player but he played knee shield. 2 different approaches. Lockdown, you're closing the distance and clinching, and knee shield, you're creating space and framing. So I switched over to knee shield. It's a lot less tiring.

But, the Lucas Leites coyote guard dvd is my go to from half guard. So effective as long as you can get to that underhook.

I chose to play half guard because I am mobile like a statue so I can't play fancy guards, basically half guard chosed me not the other way.

Last edited:
So you are saying not to attempt subs because of the stability of the position? Idk the karmura is pretty stable from bottom half guard as well.

If he's saying to not attempt subs then disregard his advice because he's wrong. There are tons of sub from half guard and you should be attacking them. Like you said kimuras are golden, loop chokes, knee bars, brabo chokes etc etc.

I love the sweep options and the easier path to the back.

Big fan of Lucas Leite's coyote guard because my halfguard foundation is the lockdown series. So injecting some coyote guard into my game was a no brainer.

But, the Lucas Leites coyote guard dvd is my go to from half guard. So effective as long as you can get to that underhook.

That underhook is pretty easy to get though. Coyote guard is like a cheat code for me. Once you get in position it's like, you can either let me take your back, let me get the sweep, or let me get the sweep. LOL.

I love the sweep options and the easier path to the back.

Big fan of Lucas Leite's coyote guard because my halfguard foundation is the lockdown series. So injecting some coyote guard into my game was a no brainer.

That underhook is pretty easy to get though. Coyote guard is like a cheat code for me. Once you get in position it's like, you can either let me take your back, let me get the sweep, or let me get the sweep. LOL.
I just googled coyote guard, turns out that's the name of the guard i use and i saw a nice sweep im going to try! I remember it being called dogfight position back in the day maybe?
Anyway, I like to go up for that, if i get smashed i roll for deep half, if i get blocked i go back for Coyote, you can switch between them all day untill you establish something.

I just googled coyote guard, turns out that's the name of the guard i use and i saw a nice sweep im going to try! I remember it being called dogfight position back in the day maybe?
Anyway, I like to go up for that, if i get smashed i roll for deep half, if i get blocked i go back for Coyote, you can switch between them all day untill you establish something.

Yeah dogfight is the 10th planet name. That's what they still call it. They're both small variations of the same concepts.

I didn't choose the half-guard, the half-guard chose me.

Also, I sucked at closed guard.

Yeah dogfight is the 10th planet name. That's what they still call it. They're both small variations of the same concepts.
In the dogfight you are on your knees. Lucas call all the positions when you have the leg hook the Coyote. It's a big difference if you are in the dog fight or just have the hook.

In the dogfight you are on your knees. Lucas call all the positions when you have the leg hook the Coyote. It's a big difference if you are in the dog fight or just have the hook.

Guess I got that detail wrong. For me it's all the same. The only difference is how I get there. Leg hook or lockdown? Either way my goal is to get unders and up to my knees.

I always feel like I'm going to jack someones knee up when I fish for his leg like Leite does it. If they don't concede the sweep do they get their knee injured?

I always feel like I'm going to jack someones knee up when I fish for his leg like Leite does it. If they don't concede the sweep do they get their knee injured?

I just make sure to be controlled when I'm hooking the leg. Most of the time when they start to feel that they pretty much concede the initial sweep to avoid the pressure on the knee.

I only play half guard if force there be my go to is reguarding to rdlr or open. I believe in mendes philosophy about half being crappy place for small guys vs big. Distance management being difficult

Slow and controlled. If you crank it, yeah you're going to break your partner. But there's no need. It's similar to a submission. When you have good control, all you need is a little pressure and your partner knows to tap. Likewise, all you need is a little pressure with that leg hook and they'll move where you want them to. If they get injured, it's stubbornness on their part. But I've never had a single issue. Even against spazzy white belts. Once they feel the pressure, they want to move away from it.

Yes they will. They will generally have to consciously make a decision to consciously sacrifice their knee because people generally automatically shift their hips to not get hurt that way.
If you have a lot longer legs than someone the pressure gets nasty tho. I would be carefully in doing it to say short girls with stubby legs. If you are fat and roll under from dog fight they do have to react.

To me, the flaw of half guard (in a sense) is that, at a certain point, you have to commit yourself to accepting bad positions in order to make your game work. Not saying it doesn't work, but I've often heard the expression "if you play half guard then you need to hate your face."

Back