Calling all cooks! Do you have a signature chili recipe that you like to use?

Chuck works good or any other fatty, well marbled cut like short rib . You want enough fat so that when you cook it for a long time the fat will render and leave a very tender piece of meat. If you use something like sirloin, with little fat, it will dry out after a while and basically be like chewing on a tire. Texas chili uses actual chunks of meat instead of ground meat, correct? If so, then buying a chuck roast or boneless short ribs and cutting them into pieces would probably be best.
th

Let's not forget some of those hardshell peppercorns.

Going to have to go back through and try some of these recipes gents, my freezer stash of chili has nearly run out and i'll need to do some more shortly.

One thing i do try sometimes is smoking some chuck steaks in the Weber and cubing it for a chili. I'd imagine this is how it was done back in the day, i'm assuming when chili was originally made they didn't have meat mincers so it was always cubed.

my moms secret ingredient in chili was a hershey bar

I haven't seen any mention of corn or mushrooms.

I can't be the only one.

This reminded me of an old friend of mine who I don't speak to anymore (drug / alcohol probs) but that dude made the best veggie chili I've ever had and I am a carnivore.

I employ a very strict 1.5:1 meat-to-beans ratio and use tomato sauce because I like it thick. Sweet onions, lots of garlic, kidney beans, Grandma's Chili Seasoning (sometimes called Williams' Chili Seasoning), smoked paprika, a dash of chipotle chili powder, and finish it off with a teaspoon or two of sriracha.

Simmer for 3 hours at least

Back