Calling all cooks! Do you have a signature chili recipe that you like to use?

I've been wanting to make some Texas style chili with nice cuts of beef and such. Anyone here know what cuts I should be using and whatnot? I'm talking about that good thick red stuff you see in Texas a lot.

Chuck works good or any other fatty, well marbled cut like short rib . You want enough fat so that when you cook it for a long time the fat will render and leave a very tender piece of meat. If you use something like sirloin, with little fat, it will dry out after a while and basically be like chewing on a tire. Texas chili uses actual chunks of meat instead of ground meat, correct? If so, then buying a chuck roast or boneless short ribs and cutting them into pieces would probably be best.

2 pounds ground beef chuck, 1 pound bulk Italian mild spicy sausage, 3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained, 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce, 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice, 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste, 1 large yellow onion, chopped, 3 stalks celery, chopped, 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped, 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped, 2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped, 1 tablespoon bacon bits 4 cubes beef bouillon 1/2 cup beer, 1/4 cup mild chili powder, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1 tablespoon ground black pepper, 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper 1 teaspoon paprika 1 teaspoon white sugar
Cook the meat first and then add everything else. Cook it once for 4 hours, let it cool over night then heat it up again on low for up to 12 hours

So much this. I will actually make chili and other things like red beans and rice and have no intention of eating it until the next day because of how much better it is, lol.

I do it with chili and occasionally when I make stuffed peppers, my girlfriend always waits until the next day when she has me make bruschetta so the tomatoes soak up all the dressing

Yeah, I think most of the quicker recipes take shortcuts by using some pre-made ingredients like the barbecue sauce you mentioned. When you're using simpler ingredients, it usually takes longer for the flavors to develop. That's my theory anyway. Professional chefs, feel free to tell me I'm full of shit.

Former professional chef here. You are right. :icon_idea

The recipes that take longer and have mor ingredients are the better ones in my opinion.

I make it different all the time but adhere to a few principles.

beans: red kidney, white kidney, black
tomato: one can of paste and the rest freshly pureed
meat: at least one type of ground animal and one type of cased sausage.
flavor: various chili powders, oregano, cumin.
veggies: various colors of pepper, jalapenos, red onion, yellow onion, celery.

Bump. I pretty much do it this way. Generally red kidney, sometimes might add some chick peas as well, usually store bought puree though. Meat can vary, depending on what is leftover (brisket, pulled pork, pulled lamb all work well) and I like using a cased sausage as well.

And I like to use beer instead of stock most of the time, sometimes a mixture depending on what's on hand. And definitely some old drippings to cook my onions, capsicums etc.

Does anyone here add chocolate? I've seen a few recipes that add cocoa or even chocolate. Have tried it, prob not enough to have an effect though.

Bump. I pretty much do it this way. Generally red kidney, sometimes might add some chick peas as well, usually store bought puree though. Meat can vary, depending on what is leftover (brisket, pulled pork, pulled lamb all work well) and I like using a cased sausage as well.

And I like to use beer instead of stock most of the time, sometimes a mixture depending on what's on hand. And definitely some old drippings to cook my onions, capsicums etc.

Does anyone here add chocolate? I've seen a few recipes that add cocoa or even chocolate. Have tried it, prob not enough to have an effect though.

I've never added chocolate, but I add cinnamon

The real secret ingredients go in during the last 30 minutes of simmering... I never make chili without these... dark chocolate (at least 75% cacao) and cinnamon.

Dammit shadow, I was going to make this thread and then cook a listed recipe every Sunday for a year or so.

Maybe I'll hijack yours. I'll post my recipe later.

Dammit shadow, I was going to make this thread and then cook a listed recipe every Sunday for a year or so.

Maybe I'll hijack yours. I'll post my recipe later.

Feel free to hijack. Or honestly, we could just pretend this thread doesn't exist and you could make your own.

My work serves chili on occasion and it's delicious.

Lately I have been trying to get away from boxed dinners and frozen, microwavable bullshit and have really been trying to learn to cook properly. Most recently I've been fucking around with different chili recipes and experimenting to see what I can come up on my own.

The latest thing I've made is a really simple and easy chili recipe that is a modification of another recipe I found:

1 lb ground beef
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tablespoon creole seasoning
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup Bullseye Sweet & Tangy BBQ sauce

Brown the beef. Drain and put it in a pot. Add in all other ingredients and stir. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Voila. Quick and easy chili.

The obvious outlier here is the BBQ sauce. Personally, I think it adds a pretty interesting element to things. If you overdo it (as I did, when I used 1/2 cup the first time around) then it's a bit overpowering, but in the right amount I like the effect.

Personally, I love chili. But like with most dishes, some is good, some is not so good. I've had chili that's rather bland and other chili that just blew me away with flavor.

So does anybody here have any chili recipes they would like to share? Or any general ideas on what things make good chili good and sets it apart from lesser versions?
Hold up...

Your recipe calls for 2/3 cup, but you said the first time around you used too much, at 1/2 cup.

The hell you trying to pull here, TS?

Hold up...

Your recipe calls for 2/3 cup, but you said the first time around you used too much, at 1/2 cup.

The hell you trying to pull here, TS?

LOL

Well shit. It was so long ago when I made that post that I don't even remember now.

I actually haven't gone back to that recipe since I made that post since I just kept searching and trying new things.

I do remember that if you overdo the BBQ sauce then your chili just gets weird and really sweet, so you gotta be careful. . .

Lately I have been trying to get away from boxed dinners and frozen, microwavable bullshit and have really been trying to learn to cook properly. Most recently I've been fucking around with different chili recipes and experimenting to see what I can come up on my own.

The latest thing I've made is a really simple and easy chili recipe that is a modification of another recipe I found:

1 lb ground beef
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tablespoon creole seasoning
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup Bullseye Sweet & Tangy BBQ sauce

Brown the beef. Drain and put it in a pot. Add in all other ingredients and stir. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Voila. Quick and easy chili.

The obvious outlier here is the BBQ sauce. Personally, I think it adds a pretty interesting element to things. If you overdo it (as I did, when I used 1/2 cup the first time around) then it's a bit overpowering, but in the right amount I like the effect.

Personally, I love chili. But like with most dishes, some is good, some is not so good. I've had chili that's rather bland and other chili that just blew me away with flavor.

So does anybody here have any chili recipes they would like to share? Or any general ideas on what things make good chili good and sets it apart from lesser versions?
I start with two onions diced. Fry them in my pot til the start to brown. Then I add a lot of diced garlic, maybe half a head, and sautée that. I then add tablespoon chili powder. Half a tablespoon cumin. Some ground cayenne pepper cumin salt pepper and then I add 2 lbs ground meat of choice and brown that. I add cut up bell pepper and some cut up hot peppers. A can of crushed tomatoes and a can of whole tomatoes with I rough cut so there is chunks. Then about three cans of rinsed beans. I add a few bay leaves which must be removed before eating. Bring to a boil and simmer for an hour or so, until the flavors meld, adjusting seasoning as needed and enough liquid has evaporated. Serve in a bowl topped with shredded cheddar fresh diced onions and sour cream.

I found this recipe a while back that calls for red wine and beer. I haven't had time to make it yet but it sounds tasty:

3 lbs of beef
1 white onion
1 green pepper
2 cans of pinto beans
1 can of black beans
5 cloves of garlic
2 cups of (below) (if you don’t want to make this from scratch, add in any tomato sauce and a cup of red wine)
1 12oz ale
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon of Sriracha hot sauce
3 tablespoons of chili powder
2 tablespoons of cumin
2 teaspoons of paprika
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of coriander
2 tablespoons of beef bouillon
1 tablespoon of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Step 1:
Brown the beef in a saute pan.

Step 2:
In a large stock pot, saute the onions, green pepper, and garlic in olive oil until translucent.

Step 3:
Add the browned beef and all of the other ingredients to the large pot. Bring the mixture to a boil and then cover and cook on low for two hours.

Step 4:
Serve in a large bowl and top with shredded cheese.

Tomato Sauce
10-15 tomatoes (I used beefsteak, roma, and plum)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 white onion
5 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1/4 cup fresh basil
1/2 cup of red wine
salt and pepper to taste
Step 1:
Boil the tomatoes for a few minutes until the skin starts to peel. Remove from heat and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. If you’re patient, wait til the tomatoes cool a bit before starting to peel off the skin. I just dove right in and ended up with hot fingers.

Step 2:
In a second pot, add the olive oil and saute the chopped garlic and onions until translucent.

Step 3:
Add in the chopped tomatoes (now skinless), red wine, brown sugar, chopped basil, and salt and pepper to taste to the onions and garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer for two hours. Serve immediately over pasta, or you can freeze for up to three months for use later.
I like your use of bean variety. I do that as well and the garlic seems about right. I'm going to up my cumin and chili powder on the next batch.

sorry but i'd rather eat chef boy r dee than what ur serving. if u want real home cooked recipes and if ur a carnivore, message me.

Back