Calling all cooks! Do you have a signature chili recipe that you like to use?

G

Guestx

Lately I have been trying to get away from boxed dinners and frozen, microwavable bullshit and have really been trying to learn to cook properly. Most recently I've been fucking around with different chili recipes and experimenting to see what I can come up on my own.

The latest thing I've made is a really simple and easy chili recipe that is a modification of another recipe I found:

1 lb ground beef
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tablespoon creole seasoning
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup Bullseye Sweet & Tangy BBQ sauce

Brown the beef. Drain and put it in a pot. Add in all other ingredients and stir. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Voila. Quick and easy chili.

The obvious outlier here is the BBQ sauce. Personally, I think it adds a pretty interesting element to things. If you overdo it (as I did, when I used 1/2 cup the first time around) then it's a bit overpowering, but in the right amount I like the effect.

Personally, I love chili. But like with most dishes, some is good, some is not so good. I've had chili that's rather bland and other chili that just blew me away with flavor.

So does anybody here have any chili recipes they would like to share? Or any general ideas on what things make good chili good and sets it apart from lesser versions?

I put pickles and raisins in my chili to add some extra flavor explosion

I don't use ground beef. I like to use big chunks of beef, and cook for 4 hours on a low temperature. Ox cheeks, or feather steak, usually, or sometimes a nice piece of brisket, that I won't chop up, but will score deeply in a checkerboard pattern.

I use at least 6 different types of chili - fresh, smoked, dried & powdered, lots of chipotle and paprika. I like to use kidney beans and black eye peas.

Herbs will be dried oregano, fresh coriander/cilantro stalks (chopped), during cooking, and chopped coriander leaves to serve.

I usually add at least one bottle of good ale for moistness & flavour, and will sometimes finish with a cup of freshly made espresso for a nice tang. If I don't use coffee, I'll swirl in some red wine vinegar before serving, to cut through the richness a bit.

Serve with guac.

EDIT - I should point out that i also fry off the beef over a very high heat, to give it some nice colour, before adding the spices, beans, tomatoes, and other ingredients. I also add the bell peppers about an hour before serving, as I like them to retain a bit of texture.

Nice recipe you got there. Try leaving out the Worcestershire sauce Bullseye Sweet & Tangy BBQ sauce and add coffee or espresso and a chunk of dark chocolate. Makes this shit even healthier.

I found this recipe a while back that calls for red wine and beer. I haven't had time to make it yet but it sounds tasty:

3 lbs of beef
1 white onion
1 green pepper
2 cans of pinto beans
1 can of black beans
5 cloves of garlic
2 cups of (below) (if you don’t want to make this from scratch, add in any tomato sauce and a cup of red wine)
1 12oz ale
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon of Sriracha hot sauce
3 tablespoons of chili powder
2 tablespoons of cumin
2 teaspoons of paprika
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of coriander
2 tablespoons of beef bouillon
1 tablespoon of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Step 1:
Brown the beef in a saute pan.

Step 2:
In a large stock pot, saute the onions, green pepper, and garlic in olive oil until translucent.

Step 3:
Add the browned beef and all of the other ingredients to the large pot. Bring the mixture to a boil and then cover and cook on low for two hours.

Step 4:
Serve in a large bowl and top with shredded cheese.

Tomato Sauce
10-15 tomatoes (I used beefsteak, roma, and plum)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 white onion
5 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup fresh basil
1/2 cup of red wine
salt and pepper to taste
Step 1:
Boil the tomatoes for a few minutes until the skin starts to peel. Remove from heat and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. If you’re patient, wait til the tomatoes cool a bit before starting to peel off the skin. I just dove right in and ended up with hot fingers.

Step 2:
In a second pot, add the olive oil and saute the chopped garlic and onions until translucent.

Step 3:
Add in the chopped tomatoes (now skinless), red wine, brown sugar, chopped basil, and salt and pepper to taste to the onions and garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer for two hours. Serve immediately over pasta, or you can freeze for up to three months for use later.

Thanks for all the posts so far. There's some good info.

Never before have I heard of anyone using coffee in their chili. That's totally new to me.

I found this recipe a while back that calls for red wine and beer. I haven't had time to make it yet but it sounds tasty:

3 lbs of beef
1 white onion
1 green pepper
2 cans of pinto beans
1 can of black beans
5 cloves of garlic
2 cups of (below) (if you don’t want to make this from scratch, add in any tomato sauce and a cup of red wine)
1 12oz ale
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon of Sriracha hot sauce
3 tablespoons of chili powder
2 tablespoons of cumin
2 teaspoons of paprika
1 teaspoon of coriander
2 tablespoons of beef bouillon
1 tablespoon of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Step 1:
Brown the beef in a saute pan.

Step 2:
In a large stock pot, saute the onions, green pepper, and garlic in olive oil until translucent.

Step 3:
Add the browned beef and all of the other ingredients to the large pot. Bring the mixture to a boil and then cover and cook on low for two hours.

Step 4:
Serve in a large bowl and top with shredded cheese.

Tomato Sauce
10-15 tomatoes (I used beefsteak, roma, and plum)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 white onion
5 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup fresh basil
1/2 cup of red wine
salt and pepper to taste
Step 1:
Boil the tomatoes for a few minutes until the skin starts to peel. Remove from heat and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. If you’re patient, wait til the tomatoes cool a bit before starting to peel off the skin. I just dove right in and ended up with hot fingers.

Step 2:
In a second pot, add the olive oil and saute the chopped garlic and onions until translucent.

Step 3:
Add in the chopped tomatoes (now skinless), red wine, brown sugar, chopped basil, and salt and pepper to taste to the onions and garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer for two hours. Serve immediately over pasta, or you can freeze for up to three months for use later.

Jesus Christ. That's a monster.

I've noticed that there seem to be two kinds of chili recipes: The quick and easy kind that only require a handful of ingredients and where you throw it in the pot cook for a few minutes. And the opposite, where it requires all kinds of ingredients and preparation and long cooking times.

Jesus Christ. That's a monster.

I've noticed that there seem to be two kinds of chili recipes: The quick and easy kind that only require a handful of ingredients and where you throw it in the pot cook for a few minutes. And the opposite, where it requires all kinds of ingredients and preparation and long cooking times.

Yeah, I think most of the quicker recipes take shortcuts by using some pre-made ingredients like the barbecue sauce you mentioned. When you're using simpler ingredients, it usually takes longer for the flavors to develop. That's my theory anyway. Professional chefs, feel free to tell me I'm full of shit.

Yeah, I think most of the quicker recipes take shortcuts by using some pre-made ingredients like the barbecue sauce you mentioned. When you're using simpler ingredients, it usually takes longer for the flavors to develop. That's my theory anyway. Professional chefs, feel free to tell me I'm full of shit.

I think that's definitely part of it. Even beyond that, it's just more ingredients in general. In some of the recipes I've seen it seems like they take the "kitchen sink" approach and throw some of EVERYTHING in the mix.

My best advice for chili is to use multiple kinds of meat with varied fattiness, flavor, and texture. I like to use about 1/4 sirloin cut into small cubes and the other 3/4 equal parts ground beef and either lamb or venison (or both). I always cook the meat with my base spices first, on high heat, then drain and start adding wet ingredients with more spices for layering. If I'm using dried peppers I'll reconstitute for an hour and add to the meat for 5 or ten minutes before the wet stuff goes in. Simmer all that for a few hours.

I usually make it to this point the day before , then let it sit in the fridge over night and reheat to simmer for an hour or two before serving.

The real secret ingredients go in during the last 30 minutes of simmering... I never make chili without these... dark chocolate (at least 75% cacao) and cinnamon. Be careful with the cinnamon, though. Too much overpowers everything else. Just a hint is perfect. All the other ingredients and steps can be reduced and simplified, depending on how much I care about the batch, but these two things always end up in my chili.

I got a recipe similar to parallax at home, ill post it when i'm home from work today.

I made some outstanding chili, but it took 20 hours to make. It was very good, but not worth all the work.

I served about 30 people, the chili got rave reviews.

It was smoked beef brisket chili.

3 cups celery, chopped
3 small jalapenos, thinly sliced (no seeds)
3 purple onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. cayenne
1 TBL cumin
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. granulated garlic
1 c. red wine
1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
3 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
3 cups LOW SODIUM beef stock/broth
20 oz. V-8 juice
2 TBL of whatever rub you used on the brisket
2 ½ lbs. of cooked smoked brisket, cut into 3/8” cubes
1 20 oz. cans of pinto beans
1 20 oz. can chili beans
Test for need to add salt

3 cups celery, chopped
3 small jalapenos, thinly sliced (no seeds)
3 purple onions, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. cayenne
1 TBL cumin
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. granulated garlic
1 c. red wine
1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
3 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes
3 cups LOW SODIUM beef stock/broth
20 oz. V-8 juice
2 TBL of whatever rub you used on the brisket
2 ½ lbs. of cooked smoked brisket, cut into 3/8” cubes
1 20 oz. cans of pinto beans
1 20 oz. can chili beans
Test for need to add salt

What about the preparation?

Putting smoked meat in chili sounds pretty awesome.

No Chilli but I got a great recipe for Seafood Gumbo.....

Makes you think you're in NOLA

This is what I do.

3-4 tablespoons canola oil
4 jalapenos, chopped
3-6 habaneros, chopped
6 poblano chilies, roasted, peeled, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
3 onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb beef chuck, cut into cubes
1 lb ground beef
1 lb Italian sausage
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
1 tablespoon hot hungarian paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 large can of chopped tomatoes
1 cup tomato paste
1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
12 ounces beer (dark lager is best)
2 cans pinto beans, with juice
2 can black beans, with juice

Heat oil over high heat. Add peppers and onions and cook until caramelized. Add garlic and stir until fragrant. Throw the chuck in until it's browned, then add the beef and sausage and cook until they're not longer pink. Add all of the spices and stir until they're toasted and fragrant. Add the tomato paste and stir until everything is coated well and the tomato paste is slightly caramelized, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, beer, chicken stock and beans and then simmer as long as you can. At least 1-2 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Back