Call out sick to get respect at work? If you are a good employee

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Drain Bamage, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Drain Bamage Banned Banned

So here's the deal my new job I got 6 months I'm the best new employee my company has gotten in ages. It's the type of job where if you call out, others have to do double duty. It's freight work. One call out in 6 months. Since I've been hired half the company has quit and the replacements have all lasted a few weeks and then burnt out and quit. There are people in my crew who call in sick several times a month, on the regular. But I've been working this whole time and getting very little appreciation for it. So today I called in sick, heavy load day. They're gonna feel what it's like to not have me around when they need me. And I'll be accepting my apology next time I see them or it's my resignation as well.

Employers will literally work you to the bone for as little compensation as possible if you let them. Fuck that.

2. Sonny Qc Yellow Card Yellow Card

Don't know if I missed any day of work that wasn't agree in advance in the last 10yrs.

Been sent home a few time cause I was sick AF tho,
    still showed up.

But my last boss and the boss I have now are some really good dudes.

90 50, Randlewand and Newtieg like this.
  3. MXZT Gold Belt Platinum Member

Why did you show up? You might get others sick in the process. It's good you were sent home.

4. Sonny Qc Yellow Card Yellow Card

Idk, I always show up at work.
    Never said no to overtime either.

I love money tho.
    So there it is.

5. MXZT Gold Belt Platinum Member

Fair enough.

6. Newtieg Brown Belt

You might not be as important as you think you are.

7. Wrath of Foamy Black Belt

I've only took sick twice in the last four years, at the start of my current job, due to severe diarrhea. Collapsed on my way to work the second day of my four day shift and had to drag myself back home, and went to A&E at 4am on the fourth.

With that said, calling in sick for legitimate reasons doesn't make you better or worse of an employee, especially when your issue is transmissible.

Sleestaxk likes this.
  8. Sonny Qc Yellow Card Yellow Card

I'm a salesman in the construction business,
    My base salary stay the same even if I don't show up,
    but sometimes I'm affraid I'll miss out on some huge 6 figures job,
    and get less % on my next quarterly bonus.

Anyway

Red Beard and MXZT like this.
  9. Derousey Purple Belt

With every new job I see how long I can get away with a 4 day work week.

10. Zinger Potato Belt

In 4 years of my current workplace, I've only missed a week, because I got Pneumonia.

I've been late because of hangovers, but never missed an entire day other than that.

Sleestaxk likes this.
  11. Drain Bamage Banned Banned

I worked OT every day this week even with quitting weed but this morning I threw up. I need to take care of me first. They're gonna be hurting without me there pulling double duty. It sucks but it is what it is. I need a raise too.

12. Ichibanner Brown Belt

A good boss will take care of you if you're a good worker. My boss knew me from a previous job I held where we worked in the same spaces. He hired me and gave me max leave earnings and a big pay bump.

I worked through the "pandemic". My boss gave me a $2,200 bonus and a step up in pay of $3,457 yearly as a reward. This was about 3 months after my yearly scheduled advancement which was $3,456. I got a pay bump of $6,913 / year overall plus $2,200 spending money.

Put your resume' out. Apply for jobs. I don't advocate pitting perspective employers against each other, but it might behoove you to tell your boss that you're going to be giving resignation notice due to a lack of advancement.

13. elreece Black Belt

I could be wrong but I thought you went for another job an got knocked back due to smoking weed?

Or was that some other pot head.

14. Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

Any chance to get in a union with that gig?

15. Captain Sausage Orange Belt

4-day work weeks are the best, luckily like many companies mine has adopted it, 4 10's. Half the folks get Monday and half get Friday off. Last job was USAF so a 10-hr day feels like a cut back. Only missed 1 day in the last 25 yrs, when I was recovering from the vasectomy.

Derousey likes this.
  16. TribalDrumz Silver Belt

McDonald’s corporation isn’t going to bring you in full time if you continue this behavior. Those bastards make good money don’t blow it.

17. Red Beard Silver Belt

Shit on your boss' desk while yelling, "Show me the money!!!" iirc

18. Drain Bamage Banned Banned

That was for another job I was trying to get, I still have my current job.

19. ralphc1 Titanium Belt Platinum Member

When I was working, if I missed a day, I just had more to do when I got back. I never took vacation either. I always said that they think they can't get along without me and I didn't want them to find out they could. We got paid for vacation time even if we didn't take it. I got called for Federal Grand Jury duty which was every third Wednesday for 18 months. The first Wednesday I was off, they had trouble with a machine and the operator screwed around with it until he caused $11,000 worth of damage. It was a broken limit switch arm but he wasn't able to diagnose it. If they could have called me I could have told him what the problem likely was but no contact was allowed when we were in the jury room. I got a $2/hour raise after that.

I had worked there for 28 years only going home sick one time. I had three weeks off for each knee replacement in the next 5 years because the doctor wouldn't do both at once. When the company was sold, they originally would also pay for time off we didn't use but the last two years before I retired they required taking the time off. We had to put in a request for it and they kept denying my requests for a Friday and a Monday, Saying they needed me there. In late September I told the manager that I had 6 weeks vacation coming and I hadn't used any so he finally started approving my requests. By then, there were only 13 weeks left and with 30 days to use up, the 4 day weekends wouldn't work, especially because Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years were paid holidays in the mix.

20. StopDucking Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

We've reached the point where if I see TS' name, I automatically know the thread's going to be retarded.