California Just Became The First State To Ban Sales Of Animal-Tested Products

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand it certainly is a good thing that animals will no longer be forced to suffer. On the other hand I'd rather have animals suffer than human beings. And I don't know enough about product testing to know whether animal testing is needed to make sure humans don't get hurt.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2018/02/191953/animal-testing-sales-ban-california

While individual brands like The Body Shop have been calling for the beauty industry to stop animal testing for years and bans on the practice have already been enacted in countries from Norway to India to Israel, the United States has been largely left out of that conversation.

Until now, that is. According to a report by Refinery29, California passed the California Cruelty-Free Cosmetics Act, SB 1249, on Tuesday. The new law means that it will be illegal to knowingly sell any cosmetics or hygiene products that have any component in them that has been tested on animals within state limits. The law will come into effect on January 1, 2020, giving Californian companies some time to clear out current inventory and to begin investing only in cruelty-free products.

"I'm proud of California lawmakers for moving science, industry, and ethics forward today," Senator Galgiani said in a statement, according to Refinery29. "Cruelty-free cosmetics are good for business, safe for humans and don't harm animals."

major fashion brands like Gucci and Versace to ditch fur, and seems to signify a shift on the part of consumer consciousness when it comes to animal products.

Animal cruelty should either be legal for all, or illegal for all (citizens and corporations).

Corporations shouldn't be unaccountable to laws based on morality simply because they want money.

I think this is great . We are all animals and well past the dark ages where we stupidly believed that animals didn't have emotions or feelings.

If we can't develop a product without testing on animals then we don't need it or aren't trying hard enough.

My friend worked in a lab where they did medical experiments on animals. One doctor sewed a spounge into a dog's body to see what would happen. The dog wailed all day and all night too. Fuck that bullshit too while we are at it.

I think this is great . We are all animals and well past the dark ages where we stupidly believed that animals didn't have emotions or feelings.

If we can't develop a product without testing on animals then we don't need it or aren't trying hard enough.

My friend worked in a lab where they did medical experiments on animals. One doctor sewed a spounge into a dog's body to see what would happen. The dog wailed all day and all night too. Fuck that bullshit too while we are at it.

I love animals, and I certainly oppose torturing animals. But how are we to supposed to test products which may have harmful effects on humans? Should we just test on humans? Or should we simply stop developing new products?

I love animals, and I certainly oppose torturing animals. But how are we to supposed to test products which may have harmful effects on humans? Should we just test on humans? Or should we simply stop developing new products?

You don't need any more products Jim.

You need to test a product test it on yourself.

We need new federal standards on treatment of animals. It's a subject that is largely dominated/silenced by big corporations, but I really do think there would be broad bipartisan consensus towards stipulating some basic improvements to animal treatment, particularly in the area of meat, egg, and dairy farming. No more shoulder-to-shoulder clogged congestion in their housing, etc.

Good.
We should already have a pretty good idea of what chemical compounds are bad. Animals also aren’t always a good litmus for humans.
Glad to hear this. Baby steps.

But how are we to supposed to test products which may have harmful effects on humans? Should we just test on humans? Or should we simply stop developing new products?

There's plenty of test subjects in the prison industrial complex. Give 'em some early release and a pat on the back for doing society a solid.

Posted a couple of these tracks in the political song thread. This band turned me into a vegetarian back in the day.

Good. Next should be the outlaw of meat consumption and hunting of any sort.

If testing animals saves human life test away

Somehow I expect this will not include all of the medications we develope, especially those used in cancer treatments, which use animal testing as an extremely important step.

I'm all for it. I completely despise animal cruelty in every possible way. It's really the only liberal viewpoint I have.

I would prefer convicted rapists, pedophiles and murderers be tested on. 1. They deserve it. 2. The results will be far more valid when applied to humans.

Back