Law California Governor Gavin Newsom Bans Sale Of Gas-Powered Cars In State By 2035, Issues EO

Is far more efficient to generate electricity at a plant with fossil fuels and run electric cars than to generate the power in an mobile engine.

Gasoline powered cars are only about 18% efficient, the rest is lost to friction and heat. Electric cars are over 90% efficient. Fossil fuel powered electricity generation doesn't suffer the same inefficiencies as car engines--heat can be captured and reused.

maxresdefault.jpg

Electric cars are not the future. They are already better than ICE cars. Total cost of ownership is simply cheaper. The electric motor basically has one moving part. There is no transmission. Regen braking means brakes never get stressed. Maintenance over the life of the car is just cheap. Put up cheap panels or live where electricity is cheap??? Oh it's on!

This legitimately makes me sad. I was hoping to pass my classic car onto my son but I fear he won't even be able to drive it in 30 years. Not sure if I should keep it and enjoy it until gas cars can't be driven anymore or sell it now to get my money back out of it knowing it might be worth zero in 30 years. Fucking technology.

California's taxes about to go up even more. Someone has to pay for a complete overhaul of the electrical grid.

15 years is an ambitious time frame given the current state of the infrastructure and adoption rate.
I don't know what the average age and life of cars in California is though.
You'd think they would start with one of those schemes involving ever increasing vehicle checks and registration costs for vehicles over 5 years of age, capping out at @20 years for classic vehicle registration.

Edit: Latest figure I saw for California was a few year old, an average age 11.2 years. Although your national average has been closing in on 12 this year. So that's a very ambitious plan.
Average age of a vehicle here in Oz is @10.4 years (that's from January, and we've seen an increase this year as well).

This is the type of thing that happens when there in entrenched Democrat rule. If they win the WH and Senate they will eliminate the Electoral College, make DC and Puerto Rico States, give children the right to vote, and basically rig the system so hard that they'll never lose another election. This is quite possibly the most consequential election of our time.

Rolling blackouts due to "green energy" and Newsom thinks millions and millions of cars are now going to be able to plug into the grid to get charged every day?

Lmao what a fucking idiot.

This is the type of thing that happens when there in entrenched Democrat rule. If they win the WH and Senate they will eliminate the Electoral College, make DC and Puerto Rico States, give children the right to vote, and basically rig the system so hard that they'll never lose another election. This is quite possibly the most consequential election of our time.

The electoral college should be done away with.

Wonder if that is possible? It is pretty far off. But I thought we'd be all electric by now when it was 2000.

This legitimately makes me sad. I was hoping to pass my classic car onto my son but I fear he won't even be able to drive it in 30 years. Not sure if I should keep it and enjoy it until gas cars can't be driven anymore or sell it now to get my money back out of it knowing it might be worth zero in 30 years. Fucking technology.

Stay away from Cali and all will be good.

Wonder if that is possible? It is pretty far off. But I thought we'd be all electric by now when it was 2000.

I'd be very surprised if the US was the first to implement a mandatory shift, even at a state level. Given the average distances driven, the relatively high average age of their vehicles and the political opposition.
Somewhere like Japan or Singapore would have been my bet (currently they have goals for electric vehicles, primarily focused on hydrogen fuel cells, by 2040).
Not that I'd be affected anyway, since I'm 2 wheels only. Motorcycles are also way behind the curve on electric performance, given the impact of increased weight and the packaging constraints.
Amusing though that Harley was the first major manufacturer to introduce a mass produced electric model.

I'd be very surprised if the US was the first to implement a mandatory shift, even at a state level. Given the average distances driven, the relatively high average age of their vehicles and the political opposition.
Somewhere like Japan or Singapore would have been my bet.
Not that I'd be effected anyway, since I'm 2 wheels only. Motorcycles are also way behind the curve on electric performance as well, given the impact of increased weight and the packaging constraints.
Amusing though that Harley was the first major manufacturer to introduce a mass produced electric model.
Yeah, distance is a killer. Even Cali has some super isolated areas that will take a long time to get them with charging stations. Even here in Japan charging stations are pretty rare. It'll be a slow long grind, nothing quick. Plus cars will slowly all become hybrids anyways, over time.

Yeah, distance is a killer. Even Cali has some super isolated areas that will take a long time to get them with charging stations. Even here in Japan charging stations are pretty rare. It'll be a slow long grind, nothing quick. Plus cars will slowly all become hybrids anyways, over time.

Japan is backing hydrogen fuel cells I think. I haven't read their 2040 plan though.

i actually dont mind this if its feasible. Im all for protecting the environment. But ive heard that electric car batteries are a waste disposal issue and that electric cars are heavier and thus result in more damage to the roads.

i actually dont mind this if its feasible. Im all for protecting the environment. But ive heard that electric car batteries are a waste disposal issue and that electric cars are heavier and thus result in more damage to the roads.

If wide-temperature batteries get invented, a lot of the weight gets removed from the car as you don't need the same thermal management system paired with the battery. There's been promising research in it but basically has just been promising research for the past 15 years.

Japan is backing hydrogen fuel cells I think. I haven't read their 2040 plan though.

Hydrogen fuel cells would make more sense. Doesn't put a strain on the grid, a highly moveable source of energy, "gassing" up won't take more than a minute...

Hydrogen fuel cells would make more sense. Doesn't put a strain on the grid, a highly moveable source of energy, "gassing" up won't take more than a minute...

Problem is that the infrastructure shift to hydrogen would be more involved, and a substantial loss if there's a massive development in battery technology which is adopted internationally. It becomes more feasible the more broadly adopted a hydrogen economy becomes. I think there'll inevitably be the equivalent of "format wars" before standardisation happens anyway, although I imagine it'll be fairly quick with the current status of globalisation.
No one is going to stick with some sort of galapagosization.

Well, gas powered cars aren't being banned from being owned and technically you could just buy one across the border and register it in California.

I plan on driving some sort of gas guzzling muscle car well beyond 15 years from now.

Newsom is just one big hype machine anyway. He still trying to play off forest fires on a couple degree increase in temp globally. He acts like global warming is making an exception for california and somehow affecting california so much worse. Never mind sprawl, shitty power infrastructure and shitty forest management. It's this state's and federal government's ineptitude that is the reason that fires burn more area than usual.

Newsom is convinced that it's California warming that's driving fires that have been happening since before this state was settled... Even though there's zero evidence that climate change is causing more burning that in previous decades. There's plenty of guessing and attempts to try to tie it together, but nothing that proves a direct correlation.

Last edited:
They are, but that hasn't gone anywhere. There are a handful of them operating, buses mostly iirc. It is a long shot at best

They are, but that hasn't gone anywhere. There are a handful of them operating, buses mostly iirc. It is a long shot at best

I think you can actually get the Honda Clarity FCV here, which is odd considering we have no infrastructure at all. No idea what the US (and California in particular) situation with FCVs is. In Japan there was apparently less than 1000 new FCV registrations last year despite their target for this year being 40,000.

Back