California As many as 1 in every 3 EDD claims is fraudulent, security firm says

Ya I don't buy that. California should also be able to invest in technology with its wealth but it hasn't. Also and more to the point unlike say New York CA just made it to easy to get the unemployment for independent contractors without proof and basically took people on their word because it was trying to push the money out fast. The idea was people need the money quick which is true but the failure to have any oversight took most of this year ot be corrected. While those issues appear to have been corrected now, CA is the only state that needed most of the year to correct its issues. Most other states either placed some safeguards in place or where able to fix their issues relatively quickly.,
California hasn't invested in technology with its wealth? What type are we talking. I mean San Diego is a resounding success of combining big tech, big government, and big biotechnology to massive progress. What about silicon valley? Not sure what you're trying to say.

California hasn't invested in technology with its wealth? What type are we talking. I mean San Diego is a resounding success of combining big tech, big government, and big biotechnology to massive progress. What about silicon valley? Not sure what you're trying to say.

The State of California did not invest in technology for its unemployment systems which is what we are talking about here and is still using systems from the 80s which is part of the reason the system is so easy to defraud. Notably the whole system is run on Cobol.

And San Diego is not a success of big government. We are actually one of the more conservative of the major cities. And our big tech is mostly military industry like Spawar.

The State of California did not invest in technology for its unemployment systems which is what we are talking about here and is still using systems from the 80s which is part of the reason the system is so easy to defraud. Notably the whole system is run on Cobol.

And San Diego is not a success of big government. We are actually one of the more conservative of the major cities. And our big tech is mostly military industry like Spawar.
San Diego is extrememly conservative and everything from pharmecutical to communications to biotech are all woven to the military and big government in the best possible way.

San Diego is extrememly conservative and everything from pharmecutical to communications to biotech are all woven to the military and big government in the best possible way.
Fair enough I just wanted to make sure you weren't bagging on my hometown.

Because crime, bribery, and fraud happen at significantly higher rates in the world's biggest economy than they do in buttfuck nowhere. What's so hard to understand? I would say 1 out of 3 is rather low considering the flow of traffic.
<Huh2>

Yeah, because we all know 3rd world countries don't have any crime, bribery and fraud. They'd have to get much greater economies before there was any of that around.

There are so many scams. I know a dude that got 320K PPP money and remodeled his house and paid himself 100K instead of normal dividends so he doesn't have to pay it back - every expense was "employees" technically. Zero pay back - new house inside.

Needless to say he fired all his regular employees at his restaurant and has it closed. Was a great Italian restaurant until governor closed it.

All them got UE of course...while it lasted.

Last edited:
Doesn't surprise me. I remember my old company catching two employees of disability fraud when we sent an investigator in.

I remember bartending and people laughing it up that they were on disability. Back pain is an easy thing to fake.

Classic Cali.

@misfi23 this is why one reason of many I'm for UBI. 1K a month and nothing else would save us cash even if warren buffet got it. Once you allow huge grants of discretion people will take advantage. I work for the government (municipal level accountant) and see fraud daily. By police officers to higher ups to get their pound of flesh. I could go out at 75% with a "back injury" and mine are legit from weightlifting/running/age...But I don't morals and stuff.

Last edited:
It did not happen to the same degree in other states. Other states have fraud but its no where near one out of three

First, you said it doesn't happen in other states. It does.

Second, 2 million cases in AZ is not the same degree?

Back