California As many as 1 in every 3 EDD claims is fraudulent, security firm says

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This is crazy that is billions of dollars that has been stolen. California just seems to screw everything up. This did not happen in other states.

https://abc7news.com/edd-employment-development-department-jobless-benefits-pua/7931611/

FAIRFIELD, Calif. (KGO) -- As many as one out of three unemployment claims filed in California may be fraudulent -- That's the estimate from a security company hired by EDD to assist in stopping such claims.

EDD can't confirm the 30 percent fraud rate, but all that fraud has not only led to your tax dollars being stolen, but it's also caused many legitimate claims to be delayed or even denied. The goal is to stop these claims so help can get to those who truly need it.
]

Jon Coss serves as Vice President of Risk Fraud and Compliance at Thomson Reuters.

The EDD confirms it hired the firm recently to help it verify the validity and identity of all claimants.

"There was a hole in the system. Fraudsters exploited it. They communicated through the dark web and then, just you know, they ran through the hole in the dam," said Coss.

Coss says there's the mom-and-pop fraud such as what was found in the Los Angeles County city of Torrance. Just weeks ago authorities there confiscated guns along with over 150,000 dollars in cash and 130 EDD benefit cards in the arrests of 27 people.

"They send them to mail boxes or PO boxes or to try to intercept it before it gets to the intended correct person," said Captain Mark Athan of the Torrance Police Department.

But Coss says there's also the more sophisticated crime rings lurking on the internet, with tentacles around the world.

"We've seen fraud rings from the UK, from Nigeria, from Russia and countries and also domestically move in," said Coss.

EDD can't confirm the 30 percent fraud rate,

How can the company making their claim not confirm it?

right...government services never get abused in other states. :rolleyes:
Scale is a thing and I don’t know that other states are being targeted by international crime rings so he’s probably right.

Not at this scale. This rate of fraud simply did not happen in other states.
Because no other state has an economy larger than that of just about every country in the world. Totally the same thing as North Dakota being free of scammers.

Because no other state has an economy larger than that of just about every country in the world. Totally the same thing as North Dakota being free of scammers.

What does that have anything to do with anything. 1 out of 3 is 1 out of 3 no matter the size of the economy

What does that have anything to do with anything. 1 out of 3 is 1 out of 3 no matter the size of the economy
Because crime, bribery, and fraud happen at significantly higher rates in the world's biggest economy than they do in buttfuck nowhere. What's so hard to understand? I would say 1 out of 3 is rather low considering the flow of traffic.

Because crime, bribery, and fraud happen at significantly higher rates in the world's biggest economy than they do in buttfuck nowhere. What's so hard to understand? I would say 1 out of 3 is rather low considering the flow of traffic.
Given the amount of air traffic in the US would you fly one if one in 3 has technical problems?

Given the amount of air traffic in the US would you fly one if one in 3 has technical problems?
Technical problems like the air conditioner vents sticking and the seat table sticking, or engine failures due to faulty maitenence? Sometimes the details matter.

If one in three prostitutes at a whore house had an std, compared to one in four or five of the general population, i'd say those hookers are doing a bang up job

"EDD can't confirm the 30 percent fraud rate, but all that fraud has not only led to your tax dollars being stolen"

<mma4>

Technical problems like the air conditioner vents sticking and the seat table sticking, or engine failures due to faulty maitenence? Sometimes the details matter.

If one in three prostitutes at a whore house had an std, compared to one in four or five of the general population, i'd say those hookers are doing a bang up job
but would you bang one without a condom? That’s the question you seem to avoid from the beginning.

I, for one, have NEVER and I mean NEVER suffered from EDD

but would you bang one without a condom? That’s the question you seem to avoid from the beginning.
Why do I need to go condom free? Why can't I just fuck with protection and let others bang raw if they so choose? We all know the risk either way.

Ya I don't buy that. California should also be able to invest in technology with its wealth but it hasn't. Also and more to the point unlike say New York CA just made it to easy to get the unemployment for independent contractors without proof and basically took people on their word because it was trying to push the money out fast. The idea was people need the money quick which is true but the failure to have any oversight took most of this year ot be corrected. While those issues appear to have been corrected now, CA is the only state that needed most of the year to correct its issues. Most other states either placed some safeguards in place or where able to fix their issues relatively quickly.,

Back