calf kicks

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
just got through watching henry on rogans podcast talking about the calf kicks about how dangerous he feels they are and how badly they can destroy a leg its making me really start to become a switch fighter i always boxed orthodox and i can wrestle both sides but in mma always fought orthodox but i feel to be really successful if that leg does get busted you have to switch

i ike to shoot on guys i dod rills to time rear leg kicks to blast through them but u cant always get that and after a few kicks it can completely change you that alone is scary as a fighter to have a tool taken away from you then your skills go out the window

Yeah being able to move and be comfortable from a distance is a good thing to survive when you are compromised on one side. You dont necessarily have to be competent up close in the pocket but at least to survive and then momentarily switch when you want to attack like Cejudo did against Moraes

I spent 20 minutes in my class last Tuesday letting everyone play around with defending or countering the calf kick. I set up a partner drill where each person throws 5 calf kicks while their partners play around with what ever counter they want. Personally, I like to alternate between sliding the lead leg back To temporarily switch stances and then throw something back from there. This makes the kicker have to start stepping in deeper and more aggressive with the kick so that you can bull rush the counter right hand or TD instead.

that being said, calf kicks are a mother fucker and all the striking coaches I know have been scrambling for the last year or so to come up with counters, exercises and drills

I spent 20 minutes in my class last Tuesday letting everyone play around with defending or countering the calf kick. I set up a partner drill where each person throws 5 calf kicks while their partners play around with what ever counter they want. Personally, I like to alternate between sliding the lead leg back To temporarily switch stances and then throw something back from there. This makes the kicker have to start stepping in deeper and more aggressive with the kick so that you can bull rush the counter right hand or TD instead.

Definitely a pain to deal with unless you're in a Muay Thai stance where you can quickly check it & counter or pull the lead leg back to make the kick miss & immediately counter. The typical MMA stance makes it a lot harder to get the lead leg out of the way without breaking the stance or getting way out range to land a good counter. Least bad option might be turning the front leg into the kick and going for a Silva-Weidman, it's been done a few times in kickboxing by Hoost and Saki.

that being said, calf kicks are a mother fucker and all the striking coaches I know have been scrambling for the last year or so to come up with counters, exercises and drills

Just going to put this here for people, since Bazooka Joe is a way better resource than me.

Main points:
  • Turn the front leg quickly to check the kick with your shin
Or
  • Switch stances and close the distance using the clinch

Guys looking to keep things standing in mma usually need to have a wider stance so as to keep their balance better for avoiding takedowns. This makes the classic method of a light front leg ready to check any strikes to the low to mid-body zones harder to implement.

There are other methods of course, some of which can mesh with this strategy better than others. One of the ones i've always liked is something i first saw from Francois Pennacchio, a savateur, where he would turn the lead foot out and brace it by throwing an overhand at the same time, clocking the guy mid traction.

Last edited:

Just going to put this here for people, since Bazooka Joe is a way better resource than me.

Main points:
  • Turn the front leg quickly to check the kick with your shin
Or
  • Switch stances and close the distance using the clinch
joe has turned into a phenomenal coach since retiring

My guy, try calf kicks from the lead leg. Personal fave of mine. Arnold Allen has been using it well. His fight with Melendez is a must-watch for all your calf-kicking needs.

Back