Calf kicks are being thrown in nearly every fight now...

How Does the thai fighters handle these kicks

Maybe I’m not paying attention but I don’t think people are throwing calf kicks anymore than they were a year ago or whatever.

I do, however, notice the commentary teams mentioning them far more than they used to. Maybe I just have my tinfoil hat on here but I wouldn’t be surprised if the UFC decided to run with this narrative that calf kicks are new to help save face for Conor.

He changed the game by not knowing how to defend calf kicks?

It’s just a Conor nuthugger thing, by their logic he also changed the game on how to get KTFO trying to panic wrestle.

dd0.gif

Conor changed the game

{<Mcgoat}
It's an old move. People are just starting to catch on after all these years. Still, not everyone is going to be effective with it. Most still don't really know where to aim to really shut off the leg, and their shins aren't as conditioned so most aren't even kicking as hard as they could be. Plus not every fighter is a great leg kicker in terms of power, speed, and timing. But that won't stop a bunch of fighters right now from trying to spam it. There's a lot of defense and tactics against it. For the fighters that's been using it for a long time already are going to be more aware of these - or they could just be focused on the offense and not the defense. I'll keep the defensive strategies to myself. Because from all the input/interviews/posts I've seen have been way off. I won't give free game for that.

Then they should learn to wrestle. Otherwise get calf kicked to death.

Bendo was doing it 10 years ago....
This. He was the first in UFC to use the technique. But he wasn't the first to use it effectively. He didn't know how to stop the leg by using calf kicks. Most still don't know how to really stop the leg. It really doesn't require that many kicks to the people that know what they are doing.

Same with body/liver shots. The fighters that know what they are doing can stop you easily with body/liver shots. It's the same with calf/leg kicks.

How Does the thai fighters handle these kicks

People say 'stance' but that is not even the main layer of defense. The idea that a modern MT stance has to look like this (and is therefore not an option in MMA) is nonsense >

7d6c70e3c12fbf647d23aaadf1101fde.jpg

A lot of MT guys actually have a very balanced stance, like Attachai (blue) for ex.

attachai-fairtex-vs-susumu-daikuji-2-00028.png

...which is actually very close to the stance of some of the best low kick checkers in MMA >

maxresdefault.jpg

aldo-volk.png

Aldo's is actually a slightly more front-heavy dutch-style stance but nevertheless, the point stands - you are not going to have problems checking low kicks due to stance, unless you have an extremely wide stance, like WB, early Conor, Nate, etc.. or you simply do not take low kick defense seriously, as is the case of most MMA guys.

Low kick, calf kick, the defense is the same:

1 - put in enough good training in to see them coming and defend - either by sliding back or checking.
(contrary to what I've heard some UFC commentators claim, lifting to check will not result in the calf kick hurting "just as bad" - if you take the weight off your leg + lift and angle it properly, you are taking much of the venom off the low kick. It hurts, but nowhere near the same as a cracker on an semi-extrended leg with your weight on it)

2 - conditioning

1 - put in enough good training in to see them coming and defend - either by sliding back or checking.
(contrary to what I've heard some UFC commentators claim, lifting to check will not result in the calf kick hurting "just as bad" - if you take the weight off your leg + lift and angle it properly, you are taking much of the venom off the low kick. It hurts, but nowhere near the same as a cracker on an semi-extrended leg with your weight on it)

2 - conditioning

I concur with this method.

Development isnt going to be the same for each fighter. You have to spend a shit ton of time striking sparring too develop those reads. And most mma guys cant be bothered with it when there are so many other aspects to refine in the game.

This reminds me of when Bones use to spam the shit of his lead side-kick to opponents lead knee, like with dislocating intentions. Nobody still hows to block that shit and Im just boggled that people struggle with literally the first kick they teach you in karate. If you cant counter a lead leg side kick how can you be fighting for the title?

I concur with this method.

Development isnt going to be the same for each fighter. You have to spend a shit ton of time striking sparring too develop those reads. And most mma guys cant be bothered with it when there are so many other aspects to refine in the game.

This reminds me of when Bones use to spam the shit of his lead side-kick to opponents lead knee, like with dislocating intentions. Nobody still hows to block that shit and Im just boggled that people struggle with literally the first kick they teach you in karate. If you cant counter a lead leg side kick how can you be fighting for the title?

Yeah, the fuss over that knee attack had me baffled as well. Obviously, the only solution is to ban it? <45>

People say 'stance' but that is not even the main layer of defense. The idea that a modern MT stance has to look like this (and is therefore not an option in MMA) is nonsense >

7d6c70e3c12fbf647d23aaadf1101fde.jpg

A lot of MT guys actually have a very balanced stance, like Attachai (blue) for ex.

attachai-fairtex-vs-susumu-daikuji-2-00028.png

...which is actually very close to the stance of some of the best low kick checkers in MMA >

maxresdefault.jpg

aldo-volk.png

Aldo's is actually a slightly more front-heavy dutch-style stance but nevertheless, the point stands - you are not going to have problems checking low kicks due to stance, unless you have an extremely wide stance, like WB, early Conor, Nate, etc.. or you simply do not take low kick defense seriously, as is the case of most MMA guys.

2 - conditioning

Yea, look at what happened to O'malley vs Chito vs Aldo vs Chito. Aldo checked basically all of Chito's calf kicks, and even the few that landed did no damage to him. O'mallley has long wide, freestyle karate stance and got chewed up finished. Plus as you mentioned, MT guys like Aldo, Shogun,etc their legs are super conditioned to absorb kicks.

Back