Calf crush instead of achilles lock? IBJJF Legal?

dmwalking

Sapateiro Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I just remembered the last time I was a salty little bitch about getting tapped.

I was rolling with a 4 stripe blue. Everything was going according to plan. I let him pass to side control. I snuck in my far leg butterfly and moved into x guard. I drop him backward and snatch a leg in 50/50. I defend my leg correctly. And I slowly start going for a basic straight ankle lock. While I'm doing this, he wraps his arm around my calf and full blast crushes my calf. Shit hurt.

I was salty because like, dude, why go full force? Second, he beat me to the punch. LOL. And third, I wasn't even sure if it was legal.

So is it legal? Because if it is, I'm adding it to my arsenal. And I will take out my saltiness on said partner. Haha.

in IBJJF, its legal from brown belt and up.

in IBJJF, its legal from brown belt and up.

I think he's talking about someone cranking the shit out of his lower leg in a shallow, sloppy ankle lock position, which is legal at all belts, as opposed to an actual calf slicer with the knee bent and a wedge in the joint.

So is it legal?

Yes, and it's generally a waste of energy unless you're actually strong enough to snap the tibia (which I have seen happen). In a competition with adrenaline few people will tap just to the calf pressure. They'll just stand up on you.

I think he's talking about someone cranking the shit out of his lower leg in a shallow, sloppy ankle lock position, which is legal at all belts, as opposed to an actual calf slicer with the knee bent and a wedge in the joint.

Yes, and it's generally a waste of energy unless you're actually strong enough to snap the tibia (which I have seen happen). In a competition with adrenaline few people will tap just to the calf pressure. They'll just stand up on you.

A training buddy who is a beast (6'4", 210, cock strong) had me in the lock from 50-50 and I tapped to pressure on the front of my shin. Felt like tibia or fibula was gonna snap any second.

A training buddy who is a beast (6'4", 210, cock strong) had me in the lock from 50-50 and I tapped to pressure on the front of my shin. Felt like tibia or fibula was gonna snap any second.
Ouch you were right to tap otherwise it would have been 2-3 months sidelined...

It's legal for white belts. Luiz Panza tapped some decent guys with it. From 50/50 it seems a gi only thing, it can hurt like hell but it's hard to do decent injury without the lapel grip.

Ouch you were right to tap otherwise it would have been 2-3 months sidelined...
For sure.
I'm about the same size as this kid but I'm 40 and he's 23. We have some epic rolls but he is a monster.

Mostly agreed, but I’ll add that I’ve seen it rupture the Achilles’ tendon - when done by a very strong man. Turned that whole area where the Achilles joins the calf to a big mush of separated tissue.

Otherwise yeah it’s mostly a pain move with a slight chance of breaking the shin.

Last edited:
It's legal for white belts. Luiz Panza tapped some decent guys with it. From 50/50 it seems a gi only thing, it can hurt like hell but it's hard to do decent injury without the lapel grip.

Thanks man.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll be crushing calves from now on. Because we all know, gym taps matter. ;)

I've had that happen to me too. Fucking terrifying.

Thanks man.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll be crushing calves from now on. Because we all know, gym taps matter. ;)

If you go belly down with one hand holding the lapel and the other doing a sort of one handed even high level competitors I would say it's legit. To Luiz Panza doing people tap faster then to heel hooks in competitions. In no gi I would say it's a bullshit move.

If you go belly down with one hand holding the lapel and the other doing a sort of one handed even high level competitors I would say it's legit. To Luiz Panza doing people tap faster then to heel hooks in competitions. In no gi I would say it's a bullshit move.

I disagree. If you can get to belly down and you know how to get the pressure just right you can snap the ankle easily. You have to get the hips low and arch your back, like you're doing the up dog yoga pose. Drive your hips down to the floor and look up at the ceiling and try to look back. It'll work.

For sure.
I'm about the same size as this kid but I'm 40 and he's 23. We have some epic rolls but he is a monster.
I am the same age, I remember when I was a 1 year and a half white belt and got my foot yanked for a footlock until the "partner" had the brillant idea to twist suddenly my foot that I heard my knee cracking and I shouted in pain so it injured my knee MCL, the guy was happy to win but my teacher wasn't happy that he injured me so he asked this guy to roll with all the heavyweights and my teacher gave him a lesson . .. 2 months sidelined and very pissed off

Last edited:
I disagree. If you can get to belly down and you know how to get the pressure just right you can snap the ankle easily. You have to get the hips low and arch your back, like you're doing the up dog yoga pose. Drive your hips down to the floor and look up at the ceiling and try to look back. It'll work.
I just meant that attacking the calf from 50/50 in no-gi doesn't seem like a super high percentage move against determined opponents.

The most important factor to finishing a foot lock is 'closing the loop'; having a connection to his hip area with both feet, so he is both a platform to drive off of and a backstop to translate the power of your extension into his leg. If one or both of your feet are flapping in the breeze, your power is basically going nowhere and you will have much less force development potential.

Last edited:
Agreed, i consistently finish people there gi or nogi though i post on my head as well as having it up depending on the particular entry i got there from. I actually learnt how to finish there and how to adjust the grip if needed while posting on your head all nogi originally. Sometimes its on the calf more than ankle but even then enough pressure will rip something in that area as i've had it done to me once against a bigger stronger gi when we were both belly down.

I ankle lock one-handed about 90% gi or nogi and don't ever really use the lapel in the gi even for the cross-body 50/50 one. It never seems to affect my finish success, i know Norbi Nowak shows a kind of folded arms/RNC type grip instead of the lapel in that 50/50 position too. He goes with the elbow of the arm holding the ankle way deeper though than people generally show from 50/50.

It was a quick tap on my part bro! One where you're saying Tap-tap-tap!

To be honest, I'm like that with pretty much all leg or ankle locks. I might try to fight a choke or arm lock, but any pressure on my knee or down scares the living shit out of me:eek::oops:

Back