Caleb Plant resembles which of Canelo's former opponents?

Caleb Plant resembles which of Canelo's former opponents?

• Total voters
Man Plant is getting slept on hard itt. In no way shape or form do I expect him to dethrone Canelo, but the dude can box at a very high level.

I hate to use this comparison, because there was only one, but Plants style is more similar to Floyd than anyone else imo. That is not to say he is anywhere close to as good. But, Plant’s game is largely on the back foot, the philly shell, and sharp jabs/counters. In close Plant has some tremendous beautiful combinations with great accuracy.

Im a big fan of his and Im hoping Ward is working with him to teach him to maul inside with his size and strength. I think if Plant can add that to his toolbox he is nearly unbeatable for most of the division.
Plants problem is his hands are slow, his punching technique is poor and he has no power. Canelo is going to walk him down and break him.

I honestly think this will be an easy night for Canelo.

Plants problem is his hands are slow, his punching technique is poor and he has no power. Canelo is going to walk him down and break him.

Hes definitely not setting the world on fire with speed but its adequate, and I strongly disagree about his technique. Plant is very sound imo.

Power is absolutely his biggest weakness and the reason I think Canelo walks him down and smashes him to bits.

You are literally the first person I have ever seen claim Plant has slow hands. Congratulations.

Last edited:
You are literally the first person I have ever seen claim has slow hands. Congratulations.
He does have slow hands, throws wide punches and slaps a lot too. He has some slickness but he is not a good puncher. Try watching some of his fights instead of just being a pissy baby.

He does have slow hands, throws wide punches and slaps a lot too. He has some slickness but he is not a good puncher. Try watching some of his fights instead of just being a pissy baby.

Why do you think you are the only person who thinks Plant has slow hands?

Why do you think you are the only person who thinks Plant has slow hands?
Because no one really cared before. No one is breaking down Plant's strengths when he's fighting some tomato can.

Because no one really cared before. No one is breaking down Plant's strengths when he's fighting some tomato can.

huh? The current break down from experts and the general public is that he has fast hands, I have not seen a single person claim he has slow hands until i saw your post. Do you really think the rest of the population is blind or something?

huh? The current break down from experts and the general public is that he has fast hands, I have not seen a single person claim he has slow hands until i saw your post. Do you really think the rest of the population is blind or something?
Yes.

Then I feel privileged to be in the presence of someone so enlightened.

plants rolls punches off his shoulder and still gets hit in the head

Yeah from the footage I saw he seemed quite fast although pillow fisted.

I would say Lara, great jab and lateral movement, also has good reach

There's not really a comparison to be made. He likely shares the most in common stylistically with Mayweather, but they're obviously not comparable fighters in ability or size. Plant is quite a bit bigger than Canelo, slick and fairly quick for the weight, though. Not an easy out for anyone at the weight, and he'll likely give Canelo more issues in the early rounds than people think.

Hes Saunders with worse upper body movement, better feet and a worse jab

Man Plant is getting slept on hard itt. In no way shape or form do I expect him to dethrone Canelo, but the dude can box at a very high level.

I hate to use this comparison, because there was only one, but Plants style is more similar to Floyd than anyone else imo. That is not to say he is anywhere close to as good. But, Plant’s game is largely on the back foot, the philly shell, and sharp jabs/counters. In close Plant has some tremendous beautiful combinations with great accuracy.

Im a big fan of his and Im hoping Ward is working with him to teach him to maul inside with his size and strength. I think if Plant can add that to his toolbox he is nearly unbeatable for most of the division.
i've been saying for a while that plant is a good match up for canelo, because he is a solid boxer and physically strong.

but come on. lara was a better technician and a better athlete, and a greener canelo managed to get by him. right now, canelo should put a horrendous beating on plant.

that doesn't mean plant is bad, far from it... but canelo should fuck him up worse than he did BJS.

i've been saying for a while that plant is a good match up for canelo, because he is a solid boxer and physically strong.

but come on. lara was a better technician and a better athlete, and a greener canelo managed to get by him. right now, canelo should put a horrendous beating on plant.

that doesn't mean plant is bad, far from it... but canelo should fuck him up worse than he did BJS.
Eh I think Plant offers some similarities in the style but is far more active with his hands. I cant see Plant being content to just circle out (or at times run away), and Lara really only needed a few more a round to win imo. Unfortunately for Plant the more punches you throw at Canelo the more likely you are to get cracked in return. Thats why I feel like unless Plant has added a new level to his game inside to tie up and wear him down, hes fucked.

Id take Plant over BJS any day of the week as well.

I don't get the comparison to Floyd at all, but whatever.
If Plant decides to stand in front of Canelo and shell and counter he's getting KTFO. He can philly shell a bit, but nothing like what would be required to utilize it against Canelo.

To me, plant only wins by using his advantages.. ie) length, power and movement with angles. Get in, get out and be a travelling man. As Canelo has moved up in weight he has sacrificed some of his mobility.

If Plant tries to crowd Canelo and bully him in the corners, he's getting ktfo. I don't believe he has the artillery to dent the Cinnamon Tank and Saul's counters are thunderous.

Eh I think Plant offers some similarities in the style but is far more active with his hands. I cant see Plant being content to just circle out (or at times run away), and Lara really only needed a few more a round to win imo. Unfortunately for Plant the more punches you throw at Canelo the more likely you are to get cracked in return. Thats why I feel like unless Plant has added a new level to his game inside to tie up and wear him down, hes fucked.

Id take Plant over BJS any day of the week as well.
current face broken BJS, i would too. pre-canelo BJS vs plant would be an excellent fight.

but BJS doesn't fight people with a pulse. when he does, his face gets caved in.

Plant is more like Lara. Easy fight, especially for today’s canelo.

plant will never be even nearly as good as prime lara was. for all the hate erislandy gets for being boring, he was a spectacular technician and very gifted physically.

plant wants to be lara, but he really isn't.

I think that's the thing that's frustrating about guys like that; same with Rigondeaux. They do what they do precisely because they're good enough to do it. Anytime people call them (or Floyd even) "runners", all I can think is "get into the ring and just try to run - see how that works out for you". It can be incredibly boring to watch if you're in the mood for action, but they're incredibly skilled.

Back