Caleb Plant resembles which of Canelo's former opponents?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by what-wut, Sep 21, 2021.

?

Caleb Plant resembles which of Canelo's former opponents?

1. Lara

11.4%
  2. Trout

8.6%
  3. Mayweather

11.4%
  4. Jacobs

8.6%
  5. None of the above

60.0%
  1. what-wut Brown Belt Platinum Member

To the boxing fans here, I don't know much about caleb plant but as far as STYLE goes who does he fight like?
    Describe him as best you can sherbros, especially if you think he has a good chance of winning.

2. Seano Hands of bone

Saunders, I'd say.

3. Queen B Gold Belt

Probably Floyd without the skills

4. what-wut Brown Belt Platinum Member

I didn't include him because Saunders is southpaw.

Is he good with the philly shell?

5. Old Cat Gold Belt

I watched a few of his fights and I agree w the old yankee, Saunders is close. I suspect Saunders punches harder and is a bit trickier.

Plant looks fairly slick against mid tier competition but there are levels to the game. If I were a betting man, I would put money on Redhead to break him down and stop him mid to late. I can see Plant getting beat up pretty badly truth be told.

6. MMALOPEZ Steel Belt

Right handed Lara

7. what-wut Brown Belt Platinum Member

How is his footwork compared to Saunders and Lara?

Old Cat likes this.
  8. Old Cat Gold Belt

Lara is a Cuban, footwork was often textbook, more economical. Obviously he had some fight that he legit ran but I’m talking about his movement as a whole.

Both Saunders and Plant seems to move to just be moving, I’m sure it’s a rhythm thing with them but it does expend more energy.

9. what-wut Brown Belt Platinum Member

If I thought he was close to Lara in terms of skill and style I might have been tempted to bet on him in a parlay for crazy odds. Not feeling remotely confident now lol.

10. Old Cat Gold Belt

no sir. They are entirely different animals.

Lara was frustrating as crap to watch sometimes. He picked the wierdest times to coast. Lara’s skill , both physical and technical, were A level, his mentality was the challenge.

Plant will try , no doubt. I suspect his eagerness to engage will lead to destruction. Plant doesn’t have the physical or technical tools to complete, despite having a winners mindset.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  11. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

plant will never be even nearly as good as prime lara was. for all the hate erislandy gets for being boring, he was a spectacular technician and very gifted physically.

plant wants to be lara, but he really isn't.

12. Badr Hari Brown Belt

Stylistically he is similar to Saunders. He is the amateur version (or worse) of anyone on that list. But I believe he is stronger than anyone on that list physically. I don't know why but I tend to think Plant will plant his feet in this fight and surprisingly show some power to Saul. I believe he has heart, unlike BJS and will go out on his shield if he can't take Saul out of there.

13. Jonny Ninja Red Belt

Don’t put any money on plant causing the upset, It isn’t gonna happen.
    I personally think he’s the weakest of the 3 smw champs he’d have faced. Styles make fights but he is most similar to bjs (probably a little less elusive), and canelo broke his face. I think he’ll deal with plant easier than Saunders

RascalBird likes this.
  14. what-wut Brown Belt Platinum Member

I've been watching a bit of him since I made this thread. He seems quite a bit faster than bjs and has more volume but with less power. Canelo is the rightful favorite but I feel like people are underestimating this guy way too much.

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  15. Roids Brown Belt

You do realize breaking a eye socket is a freak injury and not very common? BJS was doing decent until that point.

Buddy Revell likes this.
  16. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Man Plant is getting slept on hard itt. In no way shape or form do I expect him to dethrone Canelo, but the dude can box at a very high level.

I hate to use this comparison, because there was only one, but Plants style is more similar to Floyd than anyone else imo. That is not to say he is anywhere close to as good. But, Plant’s game is largely on the back foot, the philly shell, and sharp jabs/counters. In close Plant has some tremendous beautiful combinations with great accuracy.

Im a big fan of his and Im hoping Ward is working with him to teach him to maul inside with his size and strength. I think if Plant can add that to his toolbox he is nearly unbeatable for most of the division.

17. DoctorDeelon Brown Belt

Out of the options I would pick Mayweather. He's a bargain-bin version of course, but has a similar style.

I think he'll give Canelo a tough night, but ultimately lose the UD.

18. Jonny Ninja Red Belt

I agree though I’d say it’s more of a rare injury than a freak injury. It’s very hard to break unless you land there hard enough. And canelo was definitely throwing with intent. Saunders was holding his own but he wasn’t doing enough to win the fight. I personally think canelo will have an easier time hitting the target with plant

Old Cat likes this.
  19. Jonny Ninja Red Belt

yeah maybe. He’s longer as well, so that could be a decent advantage if he can utilise it. Though we’ve seen canelo negate that with ease against smith and fielding
    I just don’t see any of the smws beating canelo unfortunately. He’s too good and the division is not particularly strong. Personally I only see a couple of LHWs that have a good shot against him. I was really hoping this would fall through and we’d get to see him fight bivol. I’d be happy for plant to prove me wrong

20. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

I think Bivol fights for all the belts next. Its in the works.