Cal picks RJJ - Pavlick "not ready for me"

For more money and in fifty years time, more prestige. Because thats what this amounts to.

I strongly disagree. It is clearly and painstakingly obvious that Rocky Marciano gained nothing by beating Joe Louis.:icon_chee

There are three main problems I see with Zag fighting Pavlik:
1) No money - Obviously the most important problem. Pavlik had to knock Taylor out just to get a chance to collect a big purse next fight.
2) Wrong Weight - Fighting one fight at a catch weight doesn't make you a LHW.
3) Risk - Everyone knows he's a young, relentless, careless fighter. Why risk getting duffed up for a guy that isn't going to pay you, isn't in your weight div, and is going to go out swinging? You're not.

Besides, Tarver cracked Jone's chin causing permanent damage. Nobody takes a long nap in the middle of a prize fight unless you're bat shit insane or KTFO. Jone's chin is done. Everyone has a puncher's chance now. Even slappy McGee.

I strongly disagree. It is clearly and painstakingly obvious that Rocky Marciano gained nothing by beating Joe Louis.:icon_chee

Sure Rocky Marciano gained something from defeating Joe Louis:

Aside from more mainstream name-recognition for the Rock at the time, defeating the Great Joe Louis added IMMEASURABLY to the Rock's reputation that ALL his top toughest opponents (Louis, Ezzard Charles, Walcott, Moore) were all old and well past-their-primes! :)

Always folks funnin' on the Rock.
Hey, The Rock was The Man at a time when there was only 1 World Heavyweight Champion instead of 4, and being the Champ meant more in America than it does now.

Pavlik would stop Calzaghe if they fought.
No doubts in my mind about that one.
I'd like to see it. It'd be competitive, but Pavlik's youth, competitive fire, superior power and his good chin would prevail. Joe's never lost yet either, but there's been careful match-making too. Joe's real good, but I liked him better a few years back when his hands were still okay and allowed him to really unload instead of the pity-pat stuff. He adapted to the hand-problems, he overcame.

Not under-estimating the 36 year old Welshman, but I think the 26 year old Pavlik stops him by mid-rds.

This is a joke... What has Pavlik done, or who has he beaten to make people think he'd stop Calzaghe???? People STILL under-estimate Calzaghe in america...
Im desperate for Calzaghe to fight Pavlik, just so he can show everyone how over-rated he is...
I like Pavlik, but people are getting well carried-away with him now.
Calzaghe would school him, if Arum is that confident in his boy he should show Calzaghe the money. It'll be worth it in the long-run, coz if Pavlik does stop or even beat Calzaghe his rep, rating & stock will skyrocket... Calzaghe is all about the money now, thats why he's not so interested in Pavlik.

I hope Zag shares his fans' overconfidence -- then maybe we'll see an actual title fight.

But Pavlik doesn't bring $$$$$$. :mad:

This is a joke... What has Pavlik done, or who has he beaten to make people think he'd stop Calzaghe???? People STILL under-estimate Calzaghe in america...
Im desperate for Calzaghe to fight Pavlik, just so he can show everyone how over-rated he is...
Calzaghe would school him, if Arum is that confident in his boy he should show Calzaghe the money. It'll be worth it in the long-run, coz if Pavlik does stop or even beat Calzaghe his rep, rating & stock will skyrocket... Calzaghe is all about the money now, thats why he's not so interested in Pavlik.

If he is all about the money then he should just come out and say it! Is RJJ a better buy then Calzaghe/Pavlik??? I guess to the general spectator but not to a true boxing fan. Oh and those spectators that think they will see the RJJ of 10 years ago are going to bitch about the $45 they just spent. Instead they are going to see something very close the the BHOP/Calzaghe fight that we watched on HBO................The Kessler fight was the most exciting Calzaghe fight to date.....I see a similar matchup with Pavlik but with fireworks. Make it happen.

If he is all about the money then he should just come out and say it! Is RJJ a better buy then Calzaghe/Pavlik??? I guess to the general spectator but not to a true boxing fan. Oh and those spectators that think they will see the RJJ of 10 years ago are going to bitch about the $45 they just spent. Instead they are going to see something very close the the BHOP/Calzaghe fight that we watched on HBO................The Kessler fight was the most exciting Calzaghe fight to date.....I see a similar matchup with Pavlik but with fireworks. Make it happen.

Agree with this statement more or less completely... Altho the Lacy fight was much more exciting, unless ur an american i guess.
Im a Calzaghe fan, but think he's being a complete sell-out by not taking this fight. It'd do much more for his precious 'legacy' than fighting an old RJJ.

Hes beaten Miranda who probably wouldve beaten Calzaghe

Id love to see Calzaghe get technically dismantled by Winky

I don't get evryone shitting on Cal for taking a fight with Jones. Isn't Cal the champ at 168 and 175? Who is Pavlik in those divisions? Jones is a real ranked LHW. Pavlik is a guy looking for a money fight because theres nothing at 160.

Thats ridiculous

Aside from Kessler who wasnt that good and an old wsshed up hopkins, Calzaghe had nothing at 168.

At least Pavlik cleaned something up in at 160 in Miranda and Taylor

Calzaghe was the one who was cruising at guys like Manfredo

Taylor's best win was over Hopkins.

Yeah, two wins over Hopkins 3 years prior to Calzaghe (although controversial, much like Calzaghe) and the competitive fight with Winky. Either way Kelly did twice in two fights what Hop and Winky coundnt do once in three fights: he decisively beat Taylor.
To act like Kelly is outmatched at this point is foolish. Sure, Calzaghe is the shit and many feels hes unbeatable, but the Hopkins fight but him into a realm of reality people couldnt see before. This fight is far from easy to call.

He turned it down cus Pavlik would embarass him

Hopefully so does Roy, but wtf is with this fight ??

This is a trademark, Whitebelt MMA post.

People are not underestimating Zag. They're saying his 1st real test in years against a tested fighter sqeaked by in a controversial decision. That's not underestimating him. That's called being realistic. All split decisions could go either way. The only fights with more legitimate controversies are draws and illegal fixes.

Saying he's "all about the money" doesn't relieve Zag of any responsibilities as a fighter in the eyes of the fans. Money Mayweather has wins. He has plenty of wins over smaller guys, older guys, and avoids fighting the appropriate challengers like Margarito or Cotto. Most folks acknowledge MW's acumen as a P4P fighter but hate him still. Zag is no different to Americans for many of the same reasons. To solidify your legacy, you need to face top fighters. Fans don't give a damn about money.

This is a trademark, Whitebelt MMA post.

People are not underestimating Zag. They're saying his 1st real test in years against a tested fighter sqeaked by in a controversial decision. That's not underestimating him. That's called being realistic. All split decisions could go either way. The only fights with more legitimate controversies are draws and illegal fixes.

Saying he's "all about the money" doesn't relieve Zag of any responsibilities as a fighter in the eyes of the fans. Money Mayweather has wins. He has plenty of wins over smaller guys, older guys, and avoids fighting the appropriate challengers like Margarito or Cotto. Most folks acknowledge MW's acumen as a P4P fighter but hate him still. Zag is no different to Americans for many of the same reasons. To solidify your legacy, you need to face top fighters. Fans don't give a damn about money.

Yeah sorry, "typical whitebelt post", coz i only started thinking about & discussing boxing after i signed up for this forum... I wish i was cool and had as many posts as u, well done big man.

Anyway, you've actually put across some good points, unlike the people i was referring to who seem to simply expect Pavlik to blast out Calzaghe like he did Lockett. So I believe those posters in fact ARE undersetimating Calzaghe. But what you have said is being realistic.
I'm desperate to see this fight becoz i recognize the threat Pavlik brings, and like his style. I do think Calzaghe would take him to school tho. Pavlik's biggest wins are Miranda - a powerhouse who comes forward throwing bombs, and Taylor - who since beating Hopkins twice has looked shocking! Im not completely rubbishing his credentials, or potential, but alot of people seemed to of been sucked into Bob Arum's hype-machine on Pavlik.
I also completely agree about the Mayweather comparison. If Calzaghe decided to fight RJJ I'll be gutted, and feel very let down... It would then seem clear that he is more interested in exhibition type bouts that generate the most money, rather that true sporting contests to see who is the best.

Please don't patronize me in the future either, it's not needed.

Thats ridiculous

Aside from Kessler who wasnt that good and an old wsshed up hopkins, Calzaghe had nothing at 168.

At least Pavlik cleaned something up in at 160 in Miranda and Taylor

Calzaghe was the one who was cruising at guys like Manfredo

Now THATS ridiculous.

Youre just assuming that Taylor is a better win than Kessler which is debatable.

Calzaghe has been fighting decent fghters in his division for years and just beat the LHW champ. The guy is the top guy in 2 weight classes.

Shame on him for actually choosing to fight a guy thath competes and is competitive in one of those weight classes in Jones. I guess what we all want s a champ who never defends against top 10 fighters in his own weight class. Superfights all around!

Clearly Calzaghe and Pavlik are doing the same thing, looking for the best money fight thats out there. Calzaghe just made the right choice.

Truth is, you claim Calzaghe is cruising, isn't pavlik doing the same with the lockett fight? Who is at 160 now?

Shame on him for actually choosing to fight a guy thath competes and is competitive in one of those weight classes in Jones.

Dont you get tired of trolling on the same threads over and over again? Your shit aint even funny. Its amazing you spend so much time with these lame ass attempts.

yeah its def all about the money i think pavlik would give him a much better fight

I honestly think RJJ/Cal is a more interesting match up than Pavlik/Cal. Something about old dudes fighting eachother intrigues me.

Back