Cal picks RJJ - Pavlick "not ready for me"

It is true. At this stage of there career's Calzaghe would beat Pavlik but this will be a huge fight in the future.

yeah roy is worth alot more financially and historically; so of course joe is gonna go that route, i think joe calzaghe could fight/beat pavlik, problem being it has alot of risk w/no real benefit except for pavlik.

this is a business and im glad joe is treating it as such, he already did his part cleaning out his div and then moving up to fight the ring champion at 175lb.. so he did what he was supposed to do as a fighter and champion; so now its time for him to a)solidify his legacy and b make his money;-)

As a fan I dont understand how you couold say boxing is a business and im glad he is treating it as such....

If youre going to go for something more lucrative do that but dont say hes not on my level bc that is just flat out not the truth.

He koed the guy that beat the guy you edged out a decision against. Its not like pavliks some slouch looking for a break through fight or a title shot. Guy is a proven fighter who works hard and has lived up to his potential so far.

Looks like Calzaghe just Roy Jone'd by fighting Jones instead of Pavlik.

Didn't cal say he has 2 or 3 more fights left? maybe he just wants to get more money and a bit more confidence before taking on Pavlik in his next fight. I seriously doubt joe is "scared" to fight anybody.

Id be pretty pissed of Calzaghe retires after this fight,

say he wins hes gonna call himself the greatest without fighting WInky or Pavlik

Pavlik would be an exciting fight but I don't know if going up the divisions would mess Pavlik up and a fight with Winky Wright would be boring due to the defensive style of Winky.

Jones has looked kinda shot in his recent fights so if Joe doesn't win it'll be a disaster for him and "his legacy" but I think it's still the best fight out there for Joe right now and Jones is still a legend and may still have something in the tank.

Ducking is exactly what Joe is doing here. Word is kelly will be at the fight and post confrence to respectfully ask joe to "put up or shut up". If kelly is not on the same level as joe why not take the fight, beat a number 1, and have the respect of an even wider group of people. If the fight happens someones 0 must go and I dont feel it will be pavlik's...

this is ridiculous, joe c is not scared or ducking kelly pavlik. i hate joe c, and think he's a slap boxer who's just finally come out of his fortress in europe.

but lets get real, kelly pavlik blocks punches with his face, and joe has ability. pavlik is not gonna land very many big punches on joe, while joe will probably slap him silly

joe said pavlik isn't ready for him because is sounds better to the media than " i want more money fighting rjj"

joe c is afraid of pavlik? that makes me laugh

this is ridiculous, joe c is not scared or ducking kelly pavlik. i hate joe c, and think he's a slap boxer who's just finally come out of his fortress in europe.

but lets get real, kelly pavlik blocks punches with his face, and joe has ability. pavlik is not gonna land very many big punches on joe, while joe will probably slap him silly

joe said pavlik isn't ready for him because is sounds better to the media than " i want more money fighting rjj"

I agree with these comments most... But i am gutted Joe isnt gonna fight Pavlik, why cant he fight Pavlik then RJJ and then retire?? If it's money he's after that would surely bring alot more than one last fight against RJJ, who doesn't generate that much interest anymore.
I think Joe beats Kelly everytime, it'd be another Lacy style beating imo. But for whatever reason, Joe doesnt seem to want it...

My gut instinct is that he's ducking Kelly Pavlik and doesn't want to deal with a young man who has the stamina, power, and range to cause him serious problems.

Then again, I think I'd pick Mikel Kessler to stop Pavlik. And Mikel Kessler fought a perfect fight against Joe Calzaghe and it wasn't good enough to keep him from getting outboxed definitively.

So my second thought is that Calzaghe probably WOULD beat Pavlik in a fight that wouldn't do a ton for his legacy and can only hurt Pavlik if he loses to what is perceived as an aging volume puncher.

Twenty years from now, if you tell a casual fan "I beat Roy Jones, Jr." they're not going to ask you what point he was at in his career or how you beat him. It's a name worth having on your resume.

It may not be the best match in terms of what we could see as fans right now, but in the long term for Calzaghe it may be the smarter choice.

Who cares about 20 years from now??? This, "I want to leave a legacy and be known as a legend killer" is BS. I liked Calzaghe and still do but c'mon fight Pavlik. He does not want a piece of Pavlik...........Ultimately Pavlik is going to get a big fight but right now, I would pay to see Pavlik/Calzaghe. I am not paying to see RJJ/Calzaghe. Seriously, doesn't it anger anyone else that RJJ is still around getting these PPV fights? What does RJJ/Calzaghe have to do with anything??

He is ducking Pavlik, no doubt about it. Watch him beat RJJ and go on to fight Tarver. Lame!!!!!!!!!

please tell me this is an onion article?

doesnt matter

Calzaghe makes Chris Byrd look like Julian Jackson (horrible analogy)

not to us hardcore boxing fans! the hawk could bang, so if someone makes byrd look like julian jackson, he must be really feather-fisted, lol.

I think Jones still has "it," but I'm not so sure if that's enough.

I don't get evryone shitting on Cal for taking a fight with Jones. Isn't Cal the champ at 168 and 175? Who is Pavlik in those divisions? Jones is a real ranked LHW. Pavlik is a guy looking for a money fight because theres nothing at 160.

You roy believers are dreaming, Cal is not even in the league of great fighters or even Roy's league whatever that was. However, Roy is shot. Anyone who can force him to work will make him cover and get tight and nervous. He'll back up to the ropes where he takes his worst punishment and take a whipping. I've said it before, Johnson had no kayo percentage and he hit roy with a slapping right hand and had him nearly dead. The man has absolutely no chin, and I hate to say it but he has no heart either. When it comes time to take some shot, the great champs deal with it and fight back. Roy backs up, covers up and gets hurt. As a longtime fan, I'm just being honest, bias' must be put aside. Cal is amateurish but he's enough to finish off what little is left of Roy.

I've said it before, Johnson had no kayo percentage and he hit roy with a slapping right hand and had him nearly dead. .

Bit of an exaggeration? No KO %. Come on.

check it yourself, i say less than 50% is no kayo percentage, it was at that time, don't know what it is now.

Kelly has a great defense. Just because he doesnt clock every shot doesnt mean its poor. How often are people able to hit his body? How active is kelly? THink about all this before you say pavlik blocks punches with his face, when you are an active and entertaining fighter you are bound to get hit some, If you all youre doing is covering up you arent going to get hit very often but you arent gonna throw too many punches. Pavlik made lockett look silly, you think that doesnt scare joe at all?

Joe is not gonna slap pavlik silly, pavlik actually has a great chin and if anyone is gonna get punched or slapped silly its gonna be joe

check it yourself, i say less than 50% is no kayo percentage, it was at that time, don't know what it is now.

Not sure where youre gettng your #s. If I'm not too far off, 40 of GlenJohnsons pro fights before fighting jones were wins, 27 of those KOs. Thats like 70%. You don't count losses and draws in KO%.

KO percentage is so 5th grade schoolyard shit.

Back