Caio vs Gordon in IBJJF gi?

He said he'll subtract $100k if Gordon chooses gi. But his original challenge said Gordon could choose the rules.

EDIT: Believe what you want. I watched the whole thing unfold. Caio started it with a challenge. Something like $250k bet any rules Gordon wants. And he'll give an extra $100k if Gordon chooses the gi. Gordon responded by saying ok, no gi, any rules, you can have an armbar. All the screen caps and stories are gone so you'll just have to choose who to believe. But like I said, I saw the original challenge by Caio. I saw Gordon accept the challenge. Then Caio kept moving the goal posts and now he's trying to make it look like Gordon backed out because he didn't want to face him in the gi. So in a way, Gordon does look weak because...he looks scared of the gi. But Caio looks corny because he issued a challenge then kept changing the stipulations until they couldn't come to an agreement.

You might be right and I'm barely paying attention. The only post I saw was this one from Caio:

caioterrabjj
This guy bought a cape and a crown and does it to entertain people. He isn't a king he's a clown.

He continued to talk because this is how he makes money. I get it, I don't agree with it but to each their own.

He challenged a retired athlete and some one who did a lot for this sport. Trying to cut the line to make some money. Sure now he wants to do it for charity but he also complained about how much tax he paid. Don't be fooled, it's for a write off.

After he kept going I issued my own challenge, have a match with me in the gi. He made excuses and now is trying to price himself out, the same thing he accused Andre of doing.

Crazy how that works right, when you have all to gain and nothing to lose your a lion but when you have all to lose and nothing to gain you're a pussy.

Honestly all of them look bad when they engage in this idiocy. Gordon is bringing people down to his level.

Last edited:
These kinds of situations happen because neither side feels especially keen on going out on a limb vs someone potentially dangerous (unless the stars are aligned).

This is a rule not the exception in combat sports.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20190113-205212.png
Caio's challenge, if he comes thru there's a 100% chance Gordon does also. Where's the confusion

If they actually had the match it would be ok. Stirring shit up and then putting up ridiculous stipulations is just attention whoring.

Caio wants to fight and earn 300k$ not bet and potentially loose 250k$
If he can bring the kind of money to the table that his challenge says, Gordon will fight.

He's even willing to put his own money on the line for Caio to follow thry on what he said.

Pussy right?

If he can bring the kind of money to the table that his challenge says, Gordon will fight.

He's even willing to put his own money on the line for Caio to follow thry on what he said.

Pussy right?

If he is challenges, he should accept when he is challenged himself not offer ridiculous conditions.

Galvao doesn't want risking a loss which could cost him more in the long run. No name guys would have to bet Gordon money which would most likely turn out bad for them.

It's not just the Gordon match, though, these "best" guys aren't fighting ANYBODY except IBJJF matches for free. I mean, it shouldn't have to be a big deal for Galvao to take or not take a match against Gordon-- he should just be a grappler who does interesting grappling matches semi-regularly. Same with Caio and Rafa and Buchecha and Lepri and JT Torres and everybody who calls themselves "the best."

A 250k$ bet.
Caio offered 300k

A 250k bet only works in Caio's favor, it's not like Gordon would check where the money came from.

If he's got private backing for the money he could walk with 500k

It's not just the Gordon match, though, these "best" guys aren't fighting ANYBODY except IBJJF matches for free. I mean, it shouldn't have to be a big deal for Galvao to take or not take a match against Gordon-- he should just be a grappler who does interesting grappling matches semi-regularly. Same with Caio and Rafa and Buchecha and Lepri and JT Torres and everybody who calls themselves "the best."
I think with the tma hero worship is super common in BJJ culture and losses cost them a lot. Especially in superfights. The BJJ stars make a large part of their living from fanboys who expect infallibility rather then trying not to be a bitch and risking looses to get more awesome wins. Also preparing costs them opportunity to get seminars.

Sure thing bud, Those guys are great no doubt but if you aren't paying attention to what Gordon and these guys are doing it will catch up to you, unless you only play Gi- which is fine but don't hate on Gordon for only No-Gi and now CJJ/MMA.

Sidenote- Has Meragoli competed No-Gi? He's done great in the Gi, him and Pena had one of the best matches I've seen last year.
You dont compete gi, so u bitch about it and downplay it. Pablo never competed gi , he just kept his mouth shut, kept it pushing. Certain guys dont compete no gi... They just keep it pushing. Denouncing one because u suck at the other is just an annoyance. The reason gordon hates gi is because he wants that ibjjf glory. His girl is brazilian , he wants the love. He wants to be a lovato or a keenan. Instead he's a sideshow freak. It eats at him that he cant be the level of grappler he holds dear. Soooo , this is the result.

You dont compete gi, so u bitch about it and downplay it. Pablo never competed gi , he just kept his mouth shut, kept it pushing. Certain guys dont compete no gi... They just keep it pushing. Denouncing one because u suck at the other is just an annoyance. The reason gordon hates gi is because he wants that ibjjf glory. His girl is brazilian , he wants the love. He wants to be a lovato or a keenan. Instead he's a sideshow freak. It eats at him that he cant be the level of grappler he holds dear. Soooo , this is the result.

I train mostly Gi. I was asking about Meragali genuinely because I don't know. If he does just Gi, no problem, he's damn good.

It seems you and many. many others are doing the same thing as you're complaining about, "Denouncing one because u suck at the other is just an annoyance." All we hear now is Gordon will never be legit or whatever if he doesn't win in the Gi, I agree it's BS-- and I'd like to see him compete Gi.

I'd say Gordon is more worried about getting paid than IBJJF glory and he's doing that better/faster than everyone you mentioned.
There's no problems with his girl IMO, look at how she looks at him, we should all be so lucky.

I train mostly Gi. I was asking about Meragali genuinely because I don't know. If he does just Gi, no problem, he's damn good.

It seems you and many. many others are doing the same thing as you're complaining about, "Denouncing one because u suck at the other is just an annoyance." All we hear now is Gordon will never be legit or whatever if he doesn't win in the Gi, I agree it's BS-- and I'd like to see him compete Gi.

I'd say Gordon is more worried about getting paid than IBJJF glory and he's doing that better/faster than everyone you mentioned.
There's no problems with his girl IMO, look at how she looks at him, we should all be so lucky.
I don't mind he doesn't train or compete gi. I just hate how he denounces the whole aspect because he cant hold a candle. Homie got weak character. Lol i aint even gonna get into his girl. That has nothing to do with nothing. I do think he craves the glory of a mundial champ. Knowing he cant get it is what has him spouting this nonsense. Why even bring up training in the gi if u dont have a desire. Gary handled his no gi success way better. Just kept it real and said he wasnt into it

I don't mind he doesn't train or compete gi. I just hate how he denounces the whole aspect because he cant hold a candle. Homie got weak character. Lol i aint even gonna get into his girl. That has nothing to do with nothing. I do think he craves the glory of a mundial champ. Knowing he cant get it is what has him spouting this nonsense. Why even bring up training in the gi if u dont have a desire. Gary handled his no gi success way better. Just kept it real and said he wasnt into it

Where does he denounce the whole aspect of Gi? For MMA? Hard to disagree.

Danaher teaches a majority of Gi still, Gordon said he didn't like it and is focusing on what he wants.

You brought up his girl and then say you don't want to get into it?
She looks at him with star gazed eyes, he must be doing something right.

You look at him the same way I would guess, I know a fan when I see one

One thing Gordon Ryan said about gi training that I think is very telling is that it seems to really annoy him that a blue belt with solid grip strength can make a grip and totally kill the momentum of a sequence he's working. He's mentioned that exact example and said that almost word for word in several interviews now.

I've mentioned before that he's not a particularly fast no-gi player but he does constantly move at a deliberate pace and I think having to breaks grips in general just bugs the shit out of him.

I started with no-gi and went to gi and that's what I hated most about the transition at first.

One thing Gordon Ryan said about gi training that I think is very telling is that it seems to really annoy him that a blue belt with solid grip strength can make a grip and totally kill the momentum of a sequence he's working. He's mentioned that exact example and said that almost word for word in several interviews now.

I've mentioned before that he's not a particularly fast no-gi player but he does constantly move at a deliberate pace and I think having to breaks grips in general just bugs the shit out of him.

I started with no-gi and went to gi and that's what I hated most about the transition at first.

I remember when I first started training for real, feeling like people were cheating by grabbing the Gi. Before that Id only really "played UFC" with a couple buddies.

I think this is a part of self-defense that's often overlooked, what you'll be wearing not what your opponent might be wearing.
Can they grab your clothes to control you? Will you be comfortable with it? Gi will prepare you for this much better than No-Gi can.

This obviously doesn't apply to MMA

I'm guilty of this.
I have pretty shitty wrestling, but there are a lot of positions where you can just get strong grips on the pants, and it doesn't matter.

Back