Caio Terra vs. JT Torres Absolute Finals (vid)

was right there for that match that armlock was slickk JT's the mann

Great match. Isn't JT heavier than Caio though? Still a great win by JT considering Caio is like one of the most technical guys around and they both played a more technical game than a strength one.

Great match. Isn't JT heavier than Caio though? Still a great win by JT considering Caio is like one of the most technical guys around and they both played a more technical game than a strength one.

Caio is a rooster weight. (126) I think JT is around 165??? I am guessing about a 40lb weight difference.

Wow, incredible stuff. The sweep and the armlock were both things of beauty. I didn't see the armlock coming at all.

The amazing thing is that Caio just won the absolute division at the nationals, as a rooster weight. He beat bruno bastos (221) in the finals lol.

He is a legit badass.

Nice win by JT; it looks like Caio got caught sleeping for a second. JT is going to be crazy good in a couple more years. If he doesn't at least medal at next year's worlds I will be very surprised.

The amazing thing is that Caio just won the absolute division at the nationals, as a rooster weight. He beat bruno bastos (221) in the finals lol.

Now THAT is impressive! I knew the kid was something when I saw that sweep. It was one of those moves where I had to rewind a dozen times and still end with a kind of 'wtf look on my face.

Great match on both parts.

Thats a big win for JT, not only beating Caio but by submission.

I don't think the weight difference was much of a factor in this match.

LOL yeah, the fact that JT outweighs Caio by 30% of Caio's bodyweight wasn't much of a factor. That's like JT fighting somebody that weighs 215, remember that Xande and Roger weigh that much.

Look at how easily JT pushed Caio's limbs. Controlling your opponent in high levels is the most important thing and even though Caio probably has the better technique he can't help but be controlled by a guy who is 40 pounds heavier and has good technique. Caio did a good job but so did JT.

if you go to the youtube page you see i believe felipe costa saying that weight mattered, and then lloyd says that the weight did not matter.

weight always matters, that is why there are weight classes.

just like weight played a part in marcelo vs roger, not saying who would win if it was equal weight, but it definitely played a part.

just because terra beats bastos does not magically mean that weight does not play a part in a bjj match.

if you go to the youtube page you see i believe felipe costa saying that weight mattered, and then lloyd says that the weight did not matter.

weight always matters, that is why there are weight classes.

just like weight played a part in marcelo vs roger, not saying who would win if it was equal weight, but it definitely played a part.

just because terra beats bastos does not magically mean that weight does not play a part in a bjj match.

Lloyd says that when Terra won the black belt absolute recently, the weight disadvantage didn't matter. And that when his guys lose to heavier opponents, they don't use weight as an excuse. I doubt that Terra would say that he lost due to the weight disadvantage. But the rest of us can see that it definitely played a role in this match.

It's a tricky issue. Because on one hand, anyone who's ever trained seriously in any grappling style knows that weight definitely matters, especially when you get to high levels. But on the other hand, bringing it up always makes it sounds like you're making excuses, or taking away from the other guy's skill. So it's like you know that weight makes a difference, but you're not allowed to talk about it. Kinds sucks.

Caio is a rooster weight. (126) I think JT is around 165??? I am guessing about a 40lb weight difference.

But the thing is, Caio is well-known for winning absolute divisions as a rooster weight. And he's beaten a lot bigger guys than JT. He is a badass!

It comes with the territory though. If you're gonna enter absolute as a roosterweight, you can't complain about losing because your opponent was heavier.

Not that Caio is complaining or making any excuses. I don't think he would. Just that some people here on Sherdog are. No duh JT outweighed him, it was an absolute match!

That was the final of the Open Light (167.5 lbs & under).

Bruno Bastos won the Open Heavy.

I don't know about weight, but strength def. played a role in this match. Caio never got that arm free.

Beautiful match between two monsters. Just love Caio's sweep in the beginning.

On the other hand, stunning armbar by JT... really outta nowhere (yes, I know that he was probably setting up from before, but he still shocked me). He's outstanding now, can't figure where he will arrive from now till some more years...

great match!

That sweep was super slick, was so thinking he was gonna come away w/ the win after that.

Back