Cain's switch caused the KO.

Seems like the Cain/Cormier strategy is to beat on a guy until they wear down. Just staying on them but never really going for a finishing move like setting up the big ko shot or wrestling their opponent into a submission set up.

Don't get me wrong. Both are dominant fighters and deserve respect for what they can do. But it's getting to the Bendo/GSP level of boring for me as a fan to watch. If there's no anticipation of a finish or really any other technique to witness other than mugging on a guy, it takes something away from the fight for me.

Cain's UFC finish rate was tied with Junior's going into last night. Now it's better. Of his last 7 fights only the two wins over JDS have gone past the first round. Besides Junior only one other fighter has made it to the final bell against Cain. I don't understand what you're all talking about... and neither do you.

14.gif

Choke was tight, tha roll switch saved Cain, but I doubt Cain was gonna tap at all, Junior self ddt'd

It's a nice escape... but I don't get why everyone keeps saying the 'choke was tight.' What is that even? Not a guillotine. Not a Darce. JDS seemed to see something, then get confused and try to innovate a combo between the two... but to try a Darce grip with no arm in to anchor it? Any decent wrestler is just gonna drag out of that. Cain didn't chose to sit through out of desperation; he just recognized an opportunity to put JDS in a worse position with a sit through than by simply dragging out.

But it's getting to the Bendo/GSP level of boring for me as a fan to watch. If there's no anticipation of a finish

Cain has finished 11 of his 13 wins including JDS. If a guy manages to survive the whoopin' more power to him, but few guys can.

Also: have we so quickly forgotten about the horrific beatings Cain put on Bigfoot (x2), Lesnar and the like?

Cain was still fresh, amazingly...and his reaction to the choke attempt caused the finish.

Props to both fighters no matter what anyone says.

JDS is unstoppable...and that is actually proving to be dangerous for his well-being.

And by unstoppable you mean he was finished in round 5.

Did he though? There was no KO. He was fine after he hit the mat until Cain started to throw punches. He covered up. Herb acted a little prematurely.

He was KO'd for a second, then came back, then Cain was punching him, and then he covered up.

Intredasting...

Define "cause." Because from the gif, it appears that JDS did not go to the ground willingly. The cause of him being launched towards the mat headfirst was the dragging in that direction by, you guessed it, Cain. Thus Cain is the cause of the KO; it never would have happened had he not pulled JDS down to the mat with him.

What you're saying is completely wrong. Do you think Carlos Newton caused his own KO in the Hughes fight, when he got slammed because Hughes was trying to avoid the choke? Hope not. Same principle is at work here, just different subs.

Everyone knows you don't put your face in front when falling. So JDS caused himself to hit the mat with his face.

Because Junior ran his face down onto the mat on purpose right? God you're stupid.

On purpose? Of course not dummy. But did he hurt himself? Sure he did. Also, you don't have to call me God on this forum, Magooglie is fine.

Either way, great fight and both guys were very classy toward each other.

It's a nice escape... but I don't get why everyone keeps saying the 'choke was tight.' What is that even? Not a guillotine. Not a Darce. JDS seemed to see something, then get confused and try to innovate a combo between the two... but to try a Darce grip with no arm in to anchor it? Any decent wrestler is just gonna drag out of that. Cain didn't chose to sit through out of desperation; he just recognized an opportunity to put JDS in a worse position with a sit through than by simply dragging out.

Lol... It is a real submission

It wasn't a knock out lol
If it was a knock out, he'd be out, literally out.
He was still fine, moving. He stopped fighting.

Exactly. JDS was too tired to stand up and his only option in that position was to cover up.

You take this position after 1-2 fights? Cain has finished every opponent except Kongo. He only has 2 decisions in his career and you say he is boring and cant finish? :rolleyes:

Didn't say he can't finish. The facts state otherwise. More of a beat down style or grind than a flashy finishing move type fighter.

And I never said he was boring. Rather his style isn't as gripping for me to watch as someone as flashy as say a Pettis or Anderson type of style.

I still watch his fights and enjoy watching him do what he does. But I don't feel like I can't look away for a second because he might do some cray finish move.

That' all. Don't et all bent out of shape.

Do you expect him to pull guard and work for subs?

Oh man, could you imagine? I would crap my pants if he did.

Cain's UFC finish rate was tied with Junior's going into last night. Now it's better. Of his last 7 fights only the two wins over JDS have gone past the first round. Besides Junior only one other fighter has made it to the final bell against Cain. I don't understand what you're all talking about... and neither do you.

Yeah, I do. I didn't say he wasn't a finisher. Rather his style is to beat dudes down, not necessarily set up a specific ko move or never really going for subs. I get it. He beats guys down and yes, finishes them and even gets a nice straight up ko now and then. But it's a style thing I was talking about. I guess the point I was making was too subtle for the majority of sherdog who are going to straight classify it into typical subject matter and regurgitate the appropriate response; Cain is too a finisher, moron! Blah blah blah.

Last edited:
to be honest, i think jds was just fuckin exhausted. i dont think he held his head kuz it was hurt, he was covering from shots. He just didn't have the energy to get back up after failing what was essentially a last ditch submission attempt.

Everyone knows you don't put your face in front when falling. So JDS caused himself to hit the mat with his face.

If every fighter perfectly applied what they know, every fight would be a draw. What's your point?

Cain caused the fight to be stopped, not JDS.

The Melendez-Sanchez fight had a similar head-plant due to a switch....

When Melendez had Sanchez' back, standing... after Sanchez threw an elbow.... as he went for the switch (which he got), Melendez planted into the canvas.

But to his credit, he was right back into the fight.

Cain has finished 11 of his 13 wins including JDS. If a guy manages to survive the whoopin' more power to him, but few guys can.

Also: have we so quickly forgotten about the horrific beatings Cain put on Bigfoot (x2), Lesnar and the like?

No. But the underlined part at least indicates to me that u at least get hat I was getting at. He does finish guys by bringing to them and keeping a pace of a flyweight. I should have clarified myself better in the post you quoted by saying "dynamic finish".

JDS was KO'd by Cain's switch

Cain was escaping the choke.

JDS didn't KO himself.

EDIT:

Here's the GIF

14.gif

I made this thread RIGHT after the fight finished. I must correct my original statement and say that JDS was NOT KO'd, but he definitely was on queer street, hence the stoppage shortly after.

Savage.

The best sub defense is offense.

I believe it was a simple sit-out. Not purposely trying to hurt JDS at all, just to get out of the position.

Seems like the Cain/Cormier strategy is to beat on a guy until they wear down. Just staying on them but never really going for a finishing move like setting up the big ko shot or wrestling their opponent into a submission set up.

Don't get me wrong. Both are dominant fighters and deserve respect for what they can do. But it's getting to the Bendo/GSP level of boring for me as a fan to watch. If there's no anticipation of a finish or really any other technique to witness other than mugging on a guy, it takes something away from the fight for me.

Please tell me your joking, did he not utterly destroy bigfoot in the first match? did he not KO big nog, did he not TKO bigfoot in 2nd fight. In both 2nd and 3rd JDS match CAIN dropped JDS and pummelled him. This last fight that haymaker cain hit JDS with dropped him, he looked out then rolled on his side. Herb dean could have easily stopped it, most refs would of. Fights have ended MUCH sooner than that before!

CAIN has power and is a savage.

dont you ever compare him to GSP.

Back