News Cain Velasquez vs. Francis Ngannou scheduled to headline UFC Fight Night Phoenix

The best fighter to ever live in one corner. The most explosive HW of all-time in the other. We saw what Cain was able to do to the second most explosive HW of all-time a decade or so ago (Cheick Kongo), but we also saw him look vulnerable in two specific sequences during that fight (the fast-twitch explosiveness is real). Of course, that was a long, long time ago and there have been many, many injuries in between. The true greats of the sport are able to come back from long layoffs and look great in victory, but the layoff Cain is coming off is just ridiculous. I'm rooting for him to return to his original sea level form and shake up the HW division.

Again, it is my fervent belief that Cain at his best is better than any other fighter to walk the face of the planet, but he doesn't get GOAT status due to a lack of sustained dominance due to leg extensions. Maybe he can go on another tear and cement his legacy as #1? Maybe his knees, back, etc will give out simultaneously and put him out till he's 50? Regardless, HW is better for Velasquez' involvement, short-lived and injury-riddled as it may be.

FFS UFC just announced it on their facebook page, and it was announced a while ago?

even a 50 percent Cain destroys any version of Ngannou.

Healthy Cain is the greatest HW of all time skill wise

Thread needs more posts about the elevation where this fight will take place.

Stylistically good matchup for Cain unless he gets clipped in the first round. He will probably try to close the distance, dirty box in the clinch and try to get the takedown. If Francis cardio fades, that's a wrap. This is assuming sea level Cain shows up.

The best fighter to ever live in one corner. The most explosive HW of all-time in the other. We saw what Cain was able to do to the second most explosive HW of all-time a decade or so ago (Cheick Kongo), but we also saw him look vulnerable in two specific sequences during that fight (the fast-twitch explosiveness is real). Of course, that was a long, long time ago and there have been many, many injuries in between. The true greats of the sport are able to come back from long layoffs and look great in victory, but the layoff Cain is coming off is just ridiculous. I'm rooting for him to return to his original sea level form and shake up the HW division.

Again, it is my fervent belief that Cain at his best is better than any other fighter to walk the face of the planet, but he doesn't get GOAT status due to a lack of sustained dominance due to leg extensions. Maybe he can go on another tear and cement his legacy as #1? Maybe his knees, back, etc will give out simultaneously and put him out till he's 50? Regardless, HW is better for Velasquez' involvement, short-lived and injury-riddled as it may be.

Prime Cain is the best ever bro. I actually had that thought the other day too, about Ngannou being like a more dangerous Kongo.

Fedor isn't in this fight ya fuckin dummy

Cool! Might try to get tickets!

Fedor isn't in this fight ya fuckin dummy

*sigh* Another surly noob, eh? Fair enough.

Anyways, Fedor is the GOAT because he did it all at the highest level of the sport for so many years, but Cain at his best was the best fighter I've ever witnessed. He doesn't get GOAT status in my mind because he didn't have the durability and longevity to compete at that highest level often enough to really solidify his resumé at the top, but he was an absolute force of nature in his prime.

What I'm trying to make clear here is that to me best fighter ever doesn't equate to GOAT in this particular situation. It's kinda arbitrary I guess, but so is any type of all-time ranking system.

*sigh* Another surly noob, eh? Fair enough.

Anyways, Fedor is the GOAT because he did it all at the highest level of the sport for so many years, but Cain at his best was the best fighter I've ever witnessed. He doesn't get GOAT status in my mind because he didn't have the durability and longevity to compete at that highest level often enough to really solidify his resumé at the top, but he was an absolute force of nature in his prime.

What I'm trying to make clear here is that to me best fighter ever doesn't equate to GOAT in this particular situation. It's kinda arbitrary I guess, but so is any type of all-time ranking system.

Your eyes are shit and your opinions even shittier.

Back