Cain Velasquez knee on belly

DiscipleOfPog

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I was so happy to see someone using the KOB position to devastating effect in an MMA fight. He showed that it's a great position to land strikes.

Does anyone else feel that KOB is underused in MMA? And does anyone have any examples of fights where KOB was successfully used to land strikes or submit?

KOB is used on a lot in MMA striking drills on a punching bag on the floor.

no idea why we do not see more of it on the TV.

It is, and he had Lesnar up against the cage so he couldn't do a running escape. Good work from Cain, but Lesnar's not exactly Rilion Gracie off his back.

Yeah, I've seen quite a bit of solid G'n'P from knee on belly. It mostly seems to happen when the bottom guy is already rocked though.

I was hoping someone would bring this up. I thought it was awesome too.

I didn't see the fight, but I think KOB is the best position for MMA on the ground. Its my personal favorite position for nogi grappling as well.

As far as why its not more widely used -its an inherently unstable position against a good grappler (many will bridge and shift their entire weight, taking your knee with them, and now you are trying to deal with that movement while only having one solid post).

You have to train it a lot to be able to keep it against a good grappler. If you're not good at it, its not that hard to get dumped over and completely lose all your positional advantage (I have had it done to me many times in my process of trying to perfect it as my main position).

Thus, I think most people feel more secure going for side control and then working from there.

i was always told that knee on belly is not a solid position from a no-gi grappling point of view, but from a striking point of view, it seems pretty solid.

Thank you for making a thread about this because we were talking and making jokes about it the whole time in BJJ class tonight, getting each other in knee on belly up against the wall, pretending to punch each other and going "stop stop stop" and shit. This one guy on our team is a HUGE Brock Lesnar fan and gets all pissed off when people make fun of him, it's hilarious.

I'm more of a gi guy so I use knee on belly with gi grips a lot which is pretty stable, but it seems like an easy position to escape from in no-gi. But in MMA if you've got your opponent up against the cage, KoB is the tits!

I was so happy to see someone using the KOB position to devastating effect in an MMA fight. He showed that it's a great position to land strikes.

Does anyone else feel that KOB is underused in MMA? And does anyone have any examples of fights where KOB was successfully used to land strikes or submit?

I agree. Especially how he was up against the fence! I feel like KOB is a great position becuase any panic moves will usually end up in a submission, and someone could definitly panic while taking strikes from there.

Yeah, I enjoyed his KOB too. I also liked how he held/tracked Lesnar's far foot to pass the guard (which wasn't difficult cause Lesnar was rocked and up against the cage, but still).

Other fighters who've used it to great effect?

renzo-gracie-vs-taktarov.jpg

Renzo :icon_twis

edit: sorry for the picture being so large-- my bad

knee on belly is the sickness and the best top game players use it in gi and no gi.

What a miserable position to be in. I imagine it would be worse while Cain Velasquez is also punching you in the face.

Renzo is probably a good example of a pretty decent grappler I'd think. With the sensitivity that goes with it.

What a miserable position to be in. I imagine it would be worse while Cain Velasquez is also punching you in the face.
I think it would make it much more comfortable.

I mean, I'd be out cold in a second.

It is, and he had Lesnar up against the cage so he couldn't do a running escape. Good work from Cain, but Lesnar's not exactly Rilion Gracie off his back.

Nice choice of Gracie...not Roger, not Royce, but Rilion...

i was always told that knee on belly is not a solid position from a no-gi grappling point of view, but from a striking point of view, it seems pretty solid.
It's definitely a position that takes a lot of specific practice to be able to control your opponent effectively. Regular side control takes a lot less mastery to be able to control and punch. But I think to master the KOB position is worth the reward.

Nice choice of Gracie...not Roger, not Royce, but Rilion...

Haha, that one got me.

I was screaming for KOB before Cain went for it (the guys I was with didn't seem to notice). I think it was such an effective position in this case because Brock was near the fence on the other side. It's a position I use a lot when grappling (maybe even more than regular side control), but you don't see it much in MMA. But it's a great position to generate power on your strikes.

Renzo :icon_twis

edit: sorry for the picture being so large-- my bad

In all fairness, the pic you're using isn't the best example. Renzo threw like one punch from there. Oleg was already pretty much out from the up-kick.

But you're right, Renzo does use the KOB position a lot, in his fights as well as grappling. And that's still one of the most awesome fight pics you'll see.

In all fairness, the pic you're using isn't the best example. Renzo threw like one punch from there. Oleg was already pretty much out from the up-kick.

But you're right, Renzo does use the KOB position a lot, in his fights as well as grappling. And that's still one of the most awesome fight pics you'll see.

Yeah, I know that Renzo threw one punch from there before Oleg was out-- he had already been put down by that upkick from Renzo's guard. I picked it just for the reason you said-- it's one of the most awesome fight pics you'll see. Also the way Renzo just dropped perfectly, like a key in a lock, into KOB as Oleg went down-- it was pretty amazing.

Back