Cain Velasquez interested in title fight with Overeem

Overeem will stuff Cain takedown attempts alot easier than JDS. Overeem will back Cain up against the cage and knee him or he could likely get the clinch and then come the knees and punches.

Overeem has better wrestling and grappling than JDS that is for sure. Overeem has alot more tools to beat Cain with while JDS only had one way and that is big power punch.

Also, Overeem has more muscles, therefore gas out faster than JDS.

Cain knows what he can do, I think he'd beat Overeem.

Looks like the HW belt is going the way of the LHW belt until Jonesie solves that problem too.

Overeem will stuff Cain takedown attempts alot easier than JDS. Overeem will back Cain up against the cage and knee him or he could likely get the clinch and then come the knees and punches.

Overeem has better wrestling and grappling than JDS that is for sure. Overeem has alot more tools to beat Cain with while JDS only had one way and that is big power punch.

I agree.

I think Cain's style of pressuring the opponent and being in their face worked well against Junior because it made it hard for him to set up a decent combination of punches. Overeem wants his opponent to get close to him so he can clinch them up and hit them with knees and punches. He has great takedown defense and he's great at mixing up his strikes plus Cain has to be concerned with submissions as well.

This is a very good matchup.

I know its kind of unpopular, but i think Bigfoot might take AO out.
Ao looked way too scared in his fight against werdum, and slower.

At what point did Overeem look scared in his fight against Werdum?

As I recall Overeem was taunting Werdum for flopping on his back every couple of seconds motioning for him to get up and throwing power strikes the entire fight. Bigfoot has been beaten via strikes in two fights recently. Overeem can knock him out or pound him out.

Last edited:
If Bigfoot spoils the party, do we get Cain / JDS 3?

No other contenders at the moment.

If Bigfoot beats Overeem, I would pay to see Cain/Bigfoot II. People seem to forget that the cut had a lot to do with Cain mauling Bigfoot. Bigfoot was basically blind for most of that fight. Would Bigfoot win a rematch? Probably not, but then again, a lot of people doubted Cain would beat JDS in a rematch. Anything can happen in the HW division. Bigfoot is a solid HW, and with wins over Browne and Overeem, he would be a worthy contender.

If Bigfoot beats Overeem, I would pay to see Cain/Bigfoot II. People seem to forget that the cut had a lot to do with Cain mauling Bigfoot. Bigfoot was basically blind for most of that fight. Would Bigfoot win a rematch? Probably not, but then again, a lot of people doubted Cain would beat JDS in a rematch. Anything can happen in the HW division. Bigfoot is a solid HW, and with wins over Browne and Overeem, he would be a worthy contender.

I agree but it's a hard fight to sell. I think Bigfoot has a lot to prove before he can get a title shot at Cain. Even though the cut made it easier for Cain to win the fight he still mauled him. I think Bigfoot would need two Top 5 wins to solidify himself as #1 contender. He needs to beat Overeem and someone else before the UFC management and the fans in general would regard him as a legit challenger to Velasquez.

I fully expect Overeem to win this fight so I doubt we'll even have to worry about that.

Cain is a great student. He is confident, but he actually trains with purpose and learns using his available resources. I believe he will be prepared.

So much of Overeem's game is dependent on his overwhelming size and strength. Even with all that, he can still be knocked out as Badr Hari has shown. While he's unusually fast for a HW, his cardio is iffy, and Cain can probably hang with his pace. Overeem has some ground skills (or he used to anyway), and I think they'd probably be very useful in this fight.

Prediction: After a relatively uneventful "feeling out process" in the first round, Cain rocks Overeem then pounces for the finish.

[Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollotomassi
The first heavyweight to hit Reem solidly on the chin will ko him]

Most LHW's could do the same.

So you would be surprised to see any LHW knock any HW out?

That's dumb.

Overeem vs Cain/JDS are the biggest fights by far at HW imo. AO will most likely beat Bigfoot and then fight Cain. That'll be an awesome fight. If he loses, he needs to fight JDS next. That'll also be a huge fight and it can be a #1 Contender fight.

Back