cain velasquez= boxer?

robin101

White Belt
Reaction score
firstly I would like to state how much mr velasquez has impressed me, a good striker, with good takedown defence. But I wonder why he is called a boxer by so many, I thought he repesented a kickboxing academy?? was he a boxer before this? pardon my ignorance, new to MMA as such:redface:

He trains at AKA but he primarily relies on his punches rather than his kicks.

He does have kicks in his arsenal but, IIRC, he uses them sparringly. His technique, combinations, and speed is more in line with those of a boxer and I guess that's why ppl associate him with a boxer.

IMO, (prime) Cro Cop is a good example of a consumate kickboxer. He had great hands and even better legs and thus he was associated with the kickboxer label.

firstly I would like to state how much mr velasquez has impressed me, a good striker, with good takedown defence. But I wonder why he is called a boxer by so many, I thought he repesented a kickboxing academy?? was he a boxer before this? pardon my ignorance, new to MMA as such:redface:

Yeah, he has impressed me as well. He is a very good wrestler with ever improving striking and excellent conditioning. Not to mention, he is definitely a guy who goes all out, he fights with purpose..... gotta like that!

I dont believe Cain had any competitive boxing experience. He was a decorated collegiate wrestler (Iowa JC and Arizona St.). People call guys "boxers" because they throw punches, and that is not a definition of a "boxer". Cain is an MMA fighter with a wrestling base and he also has shown some good "boxing", and it is constantly improving. I am sure he trains boxing and kickboxing, but that is just part of being an MMA fighter. Most "MMA" gyms, at least those with a stable of talented guys, have both boxing and kickboxing coaches that train in the gyms. In some it is one guy who teaches both and others there are multiple "specialty" coaches.

Cain focusing on his punching is no surprise these days.

Western boxing has shown to be a counter to Muay Thai and boxing also prevents your opponent from getting an easy takedown. I would definitely classify him as a Boxer/wrestler in his MMA styles.
He uses his wrestling to stay standing and tears you apart with his hands.

Cain focusing on his punching is no surprise these days.

Western boxing has shown to be a counter to Muay Thai and boxing also prevents your opponent from getting an easy takedown. I would definitely classify him as a Boxer/wrestler in his MMA styles.
He uses his wrestling to stay standing and tears you apart with his hands.

agreed 100%

Muay Thai purists dont like it, but truth be told, in MMA it becoming more and more obvious that good boxing skills is the most important skill aside from wrestling to be competent with and to posses in order to find success in the ring, consistent successful that is.

He is a good boxer, with good wrestling skills and is no stranger to some good hard knee strikes in the clinch as well. winning combination i feel.

Well, he must know the fundamentals, but sometimes he worries me. He comes off as someone who wants to entertain his fans , thus abandoning his gameplan and brawl. He did this with Kongo, and with Brock.

Back