Cain Velasquez (2-0) was a phenom when signed to the UFC

Wow, I could have used your support back when I was on Sherdog praising Jake as future GOAT. I notice several posters throughout this post also mentioning being impressed with Cain in his destruction of Jake.

I honestly do not recall having a second Sherdog poster on his bandwagon when 99.9999999999% of this site was cursing him and deciding on nicknames to describe his top control style of fighting.
ahh, yes, i'm one of the 99.999999.
i suppose everyone deserves a fan.

My background is Wrestling, and I am admittedly quite biased. I was ALWAYS the one to dismiss the coined phrase LnP that the majority of Sherdog posters at the time showed clear disdain for as retarded butthurt. It is as I say, a top control style of fighting!

I admit to being a "bigger" fan of Josh Koscheck and ALWAYS guaranteed everyone how bad he would tool GSP. :oops:

I don't know how many times I defended my single favorite MMA fighter in history (Randy Couture) over "wall and stall" dismissal.

I do 100% truly appreciate, enjoy and find serious entertainment in control style fighting, still to this day largely grouped into the two categories I mentioned. (LnP, or Wall and Stall).

Yea the 2 fights part yea I will admit I didn't take notice at all.

But the Kongo fight or hell the Big Ben fight ? that wasn't impressive ... was one step away from making him squeal like a pig straight Deliverance shit:
He has plenty of beatdowns, but I think that the Rothwell one is his best, because people were criticising his gnp at the time. He shows up, outstrikes him and lands huge gnp, not letting him turtle up like Kongo. Whenever Ben tried to stand up he would use the opportunity to land big shots, then immediately take the him down. In the second round Ben didn't even land a single strike, and the way the fight finished was awesome. Rothwell is standing up and getting hit with big shots, then right as he's up, Cain is already attempting a single leg, and the fight gets stopped. His chaining of gnp and wrestling was probably the best I have ever seen in a fight, and it's my favourite Cain fight. Shame he isn't as explosive as he was then.

Due to the 3rd round cage grab, Kongo winded Cain with good knees, but couldn't finish it. Cain got mount position at the end but his gnp was pretty weak. He probably wouldn't have finished the fight even without the fence grab. I just wanna rant about about that fight because few fights have made me hate a fighter so much. All I had seen of Kongo beforehand was that Frank Mir staredown and loss, and the gif of him kneeing Crocop's balls. People probably think that fight was boring, but it was so satisfying seeing him able to do almost nothing. Hitting people in the back of the head is one of the most disgusting things you can do in a fight.

He has plenty of beatdowns, but I think that the Rothwell one is his best, because people were criticising his gnp at the time. He shows up, outstrikes him and lands huge gnp, not letting him turtle up like Kongo. Whenever Ben tried to stand up he would use the opportunity to land big shots, then immediately take the him down. In the second round Ben didn't even land a single strike, and the way the fight finished was awesome. Rothwell is standing up and getting hit with big shots, then right as he's up, Cain is already attempting a single leg, and the fight gets stopped. His chaining of gnp and wrestling was probably the best I have ever seen in a fight, and it's my favourite Cain fight. Shame he isn't as explosive as he was then.

Due to the 3rd round cage grab, Kongo winded Cain with good knees, but couldn't finish it. Cain got mount position at the end but his gnp was pretty weak. He probably wouldn't have finished the fight even without the fence grab. I just wanna rant about about that fight because few fights have made me hate a fighter so much. All I had seen of Kongo beforehand was that Frank Mir staredown and loss, and the gif of him kneeing Crocop's balls. People probably think that fight was boring, but it was so satisfying seeing him able to do almost nothing. Hitting people in the back of the head is one of the most disgusting things you can do in a fight.

Another aspect is he used to control you with one arm and with the other deliver punches in bunches.. and he is a pudgy 245 lbs 6'1 man he ain't the biggest natural HW out there and he wasn't always putting everything behind his GnP and guys super durable like Big Ben (he lost a few brain cells no matter what he complains about the stoppage) can survive he kinda changed that up and his GnP is a bit more focused and packs more of a punch.. like how he took his time and landed harder on Lesnar for example.

Yea early Cain was a mad tornado that will gas you so fast from all the chain wrestling and GnP it was amazing.

Can't wait for Dec. 30 let's go Cain take that rematch and claim that tittle shot so you can have your surgery in peace and not be shit on by fans and the new UFC owners in the voice of Dana because of the union stuff.

Indeed the def is a problem but to be honest who's defense in the HWs isn't XD.

Can't wait to see on what they worked on and how he will look in 10 days vs Werdum I expect him to do better in the overall stand up.
He kept trying to go toe to toe with Werdum. Attritional standup that he clearly doesn't have the durability for, but Werdum did. He was winning the striking and clinch until he got tired though. You could tell he was finished in the 3rd round, he looked like a zombie/JDS. Funniest moment in the fight is when he is so gassed that he throws a leg kick and Werdum doesn't even react to it. Leg kicks were his best weapon though. I really hope he beats Werdum, I can't stand the guy.

Another aspect is he used to control you with one arm and with the other deliver punches in bunches.. and he is a pudgy 245 lbs 6'1 man he ain't the biggest natural HW out there and he wasn't always putting everything behind his GnP and guys super durable like Big Ben (he lost a few brain cells no matter what he complains about the stoppage) can survive he kinda changed that up and his GnP is a bit more focused and packs more of a punch.. like how he took his time and landed harder on Lesnar for example.

Yea early Cain was a mad tornado that will gas you so fast from all the chain wrestling and GnP it was amazing.

Can't wait for Dec. 30 let's go Cain take that rematch and claim that tittle shot so you can have your surgery in peace and not be shit on by fans and the new UFC owners in the voice of Dana because of the union stuff.
If Cain beats Werdum and becomes champion again, he is the hw GOAT imo, just because he managed to achieve so much with so many injuries.

Very true. I thought he was back after Monson. Sadly, not so much. Still my goat

Likewise. He showed old-style prudence in that fight. Unfortunately, he messed it up big time against Maldonado.

If Cain beats Werdum and becomes champion again, he is the hw GOAT imo, just because he managed to achieve so much with so many injuries.

It's hard to call him the GOAT yet.. Fedor had many years of perfection some can fault him for not always having the best competition but still the years and the epic match up were there and can't be taken away so easily and keep in mind he could have easily been a LHW or hell by modern standards with nutrition and proper weight cutting his frame could make MW a stretch yea but just to make a point.

Defeating Werdum and Stipe will make the HW GOAT picture a lot more clear I'm thinking Fedor then Cain in the rankings.

Now all this it's easier said then done.. first thing first is the tricky Werdum in 10 days.

It's hard to call him the GOAT yet.. Fedor had many years of perfection some can fault him for not always having the best competition but still the years and the epic match up were there and can't be taken away so easily and keep in mind he could have easily been a LHW or hell by modern standards with nutrition and proper weight cutting his frame could make MW a stretch yea but just to make a point.

Defeating Werdum and Stipe will make the HW GOAT picture a lot more clear I'm thinking Fedor then Cain in the rankings.

Now all this it's easier said then done.. first thing first is the tricky Werdum in 10 days.

After seeing his comeback performance against Browne, there isn't a doubt in my mind that he'll run through Werdum. He's mentally ready to reclaim the title, I just hope his body doesn't disintegrate in the process.

After seeing his comeback performance against Browne, there isn't a doubt in my mind that he'll run through Werdum. He's mentally ready to reclaim the title, I just hope his body doesn't disintegrate in the process.

We shall see I'm hopefull but I'll be honnest it really took the wind from my sails when I heard he is scheduled for surgery and that his been having lots of pains in the camp.. probably from his back.

No excuses he chose to fight.. he is a big boy and he has the UFC breathing hard on him because of the union situation.. plus it's a rematch sherdog won't ever forgive him for losing 2 to Werdum.. jokes aside they knew the Mexico Cain wasn't up to his normal standards but a win is a win so it all counts.

We shall see I'm hopefull but I'll be honnest it really took the wind from my sails when I heard he is scheduled for surgery and that his been having lots of pains in the camp.. probably from his back.

No excuses he chose to fight.. he is a big boy and he has the UFC breathing hard on him because of the union situation.. plus it's a rematch sherdog won't ever forgive him for losing 2 to Werdum.. jokes aside they knew the Mexico Cain wasn't up to his normal standards but a win is a win so it all counts.

I didn't know he was scheduled for surgery. Now my confidence is deflated, too.

I didn't know he was scheduled for surgery. Now my confidence is deflated, too.

The life of a Cain fan ain't always easy yo. :D

242297.jpg

Yea the 2 fights part yea I will admit I didn't take notice at all.

But the Kongo fight or hell the Big Ben fight ? that wasn't impressive ... was one step away from making him squeal like a pig straight Deliverance shit:

maxresdefault.jpg

Cain-Velasquez-Ben-Rothwell-114.jpg

20091026121132_IMG_4303.JPG

5bwrrn.jpg

Cain-Velasquez-Ben-Rothwell-122.jpg

Cain-Velasquez-Ben-Rothwell-100.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
20091026121132_IMG_4304.JPG

I don't know how can anyone not be impressed by this fight.

Cain dominated the much bigger fighter, a huge HW when Cain was looking like he could make MW in there.

He did show some of the best wrestling ever, and one of the biggest pace put by any fighter at any division. Which is crazy because he is a HW. Didn't even got tired at any point, too. Not even close.

But yes, people can talk as much as they want. The thing is that fight was one of most dominant wins ever.

There you have it. Didn't make it to the fight. Wasted his potential. HW is a desolate wasteland

He was the next big thing. I remember so much hype about Cain Velasquez.

When he beat Rothwell and Big Nog I knew he'd be the baddest man on the planet.

I believe in Cain. He's unique in the Heavy-weight division. No one wrestles people or puts the ground and pound on or sets the pace like Cain does. My friend was skeptical after he got knocked silly by JDS in the first fight, but I kept the faith.

Cain is an all around good-guy and a phenomenal fighter. I truly don't understand why people don't like him. He's had some hiccups, but I think he's proven himself numerous times and I think he will prove himself against Werdum.

WAR Cain!

Back