Cain Velasquez (2-0) was a phenom when signed to the UFC

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So he was pretty much a shoe-in to be a champion when he was signed at a very green record of 2-0 back in 2008.

At the time did you guys think he was going to be this good? To be honest I had no idea who he was til his debut and then I had to look up his credentials and to what everyone was saying about him.

Today he's 34 with a glass body. I wonder what type of surgery he's trying to get after this Werdum fight and if it's anything serious. Dude has like 11 more days to make it through camp let's see if he gets there.

Cain was Vitor? I knew I'd never seen them in the same room

I didn't even notice him before his fight with Minotauro. Was sure he would annihilate Brock, though.

So he was pretty much a shoe-in to be a champion when he was signed at a very green record of 2-0 back in 2008.

At the time did you guys think he was going to be this good? To be honest I had no idea who he was til his debut and then I had to look up his credentials and to what everyone was saying about him.

Today he's 34 with a glass body. I wonder what type of surgery he's trying to get after this Werdum fight and if it's anything serious. Dude has like 11 more days to make it through camp let's see if he gets there.

I want it to be not anything too bad. Cain vs Miocic would be crazy and if it's he is bad injured I don't think he can win this fight. Needs to be at his best or close to it.

Cain was such a monster back around the time of the Nogueira fight. Hes still dangerous but not what he once was. Such a shame he destroyed himself in training. I really think he mightve been the best ever back then.

I became a believer when he beat nogueira. I thought hed take nog down and nog would catch him as he tried to pass the guard. It didnt even go to the ground.

Cain was such a monster back around the time of the Nogueira fight. Hes still dangerous but not what he once was. Such a shame he destroyed himself in training. I really think he mightve been the best ever back then.
how can you say that? he beat browne like he owed him money.

His first fight they announced him as "cayenne" lol​

I saw Cain fight in Strikeforce without having any idea who he is. His pace and output on the ground was insane. Apparently Dana gave him a contract right away.

I've picked him to win every fight i've seen him in since Jake O'Brien and I'll be doing it against Werdum again.

Prime Cain takes Fedor but Fedor is still the GOAT because of weight discrepancies and record

I've picked him to win every fight i've seen him in since Jake O'Brien and I'll be doing it against Werdum again.

Poor Jake O'Brien had to fight Cain, Jon Jones, Arlovski, and Herring during his UFC run, and later fought Mousasi to boot.

after 3 AA v Sylvia bouts, the UFC spent 2 years dropping virtually all existing HW's and looking for new ones. besides the obvious Lesnar signing, the JDS, Cain and Carwin signings were huge. fans were tired of guys like Eilers and Cabbage. they heavily advertised the HW Ultimate Fighter as well, crossing their fingers they'd find someone great.

Cain was very well known, and there was lots of talk about his gas, how he could go all day, even then. JDS was the much bigger surprise with the Werdum KTFO (and then Werdum was offered a new contract worth half his last, and left).

I remember seeing him in 2008 and thinking he has some skills when he took out Jake O'Brien and I really took notice of him the next year when he abused Kongo I knew he will become champ sooner or later.

The pace and chain wrestling and constant pressure was off the charts for a 245 lbs HW... was just a matter of time till the strap.

He did train like a mad men and damaged himself in the process but it's a strange position for a guy that needed to learn how to fight and to improve fast you kinda got to do that shit to.. you think the guys from Holland the kick boxers didn't do it like that ? or the old school boxer all the old guard from Chute Boxe it clearly fucking works it maybe isn't the best strategy but it's works.

And keep in mind this isn't someone that was in boxing gym from age 14 the man is a wrestler like many from MMA so he stepped in the game later in life so he needed to learn how to fight and to do it fast no time to waste, another aspect is he is a HW from wrestling so his knees and back / neck isn't that good coming into MMA and then with age and more training you will only make it worse.

As a Cain fan it's hard to know this fight isn't under ideal conditions that he is having a lot of pain and enduring it (already booked for surgery) and he basically HAS to fight and HAS to get the win in this important rematch, in this tittle shot bout, in this fight vs the UFC because trust me this is important that he gets the win on more then one levels with all the bullshit vs Dana and the silent war his talent agency has vs the new owners of the UFC with the union thing.

I expect him to get the win and go reclaim that belt once again. We shall see..

War Cain!

how can you say that? he beat browne like he owed him money.

Thats true but I still get the sense hes past his prime. Hes had a TON of surgeries. Theres no way it hasnt taken some kind of toll. I just dont see quite the same vitality and ferocity.

Cain V then and now

Prime Cain takes Fedor but Fedor is still the GOAT because of weight discrepancies and record

Prime Cain vs Prime Fedor is the ultimate fight. Not sure about that one.Both were absolute savages but Fedor had a much better submission game.

I remember seeing him in 2008 and thinking he has some skills when he took out Jake O'Brien and I really took notice of him the next year when he abused Kongo I knew he will become champ sooner or later.

The pace and chain wrestling and constant pressure was off the charts for a 245 lbs HW... was just a matter of time till the strap.

He did train like a mad men and damaged himself in the process but it's a strange position for a guy that needed to learn how to fight and to improve fast you kinda got to do that shit to.. you think the guys from Holland the kick boxers didn't do it like that ? or the old school boxer all the old guard from Chute Boxe it clearly fucking works it maybe isn't the best strategy but it's works.

And keep in mind this isn't someone that was in boxing gym from age 14 the man is a wrestler like many from MMA so he stepped in the game later in life so he needed to learn how to fight and to do it fast no time to waste, another aspect is he is a HW from wrestling so his knees and back / neck isn't that good coming into MMA and then with age and more training you will only make it worse.

As a Cain fan it's hard to know this fight isn't under ideal conditions that he is having a lot of pain and enduring it (already booked for surgery) and he basically HAS to fight and HAS to get the win in this important rematch, in this tittle shot bout, in this fight vs the UFC because trust me this is important that he gets the win on more then one levels with all the bullshit vs Dana and the silent war his talent agency has vs the new owners of the UFC with the union thing.

I expect him to get the win and go reclaim that belt once again. We shall see..

War Cain!

Dude you should tell us how Cain shape is looking like

it's all about his shape

if he looks good, and lean, not like he did vs Werdum 1, then I say he wins even if he is injured. Someone post something about him a while ago and look like he lost weight, looked a little like the Cain who fought Lesnar but it was probably a impression.

and let's remember, this (2008) was when the term "new breed of HW's" was coined.

Back