Cain + proper BJJ = faster win

ProHater

White Belt
Reaction score
First let me say big ups to Cain for his dedication and the hard work he put in to regain his belt. Amazing, by any standard.

With that said, I gotta be honest, I personally cannot watch another wrestler relies on drawn out single / double-leg takedowns and G&P to the exclusion of a trip or throw and submission that might end the fight. Watching Cain's seemingly limited repertoire made me question GJJ or Cain's proficiency at using it in actual fights. I could almost buy the argument that maybe it isn't smart to get into a submission match with a Black House fighter, even a wobbly one but Cain is a freaking Brown Belt in GJJ. His armbar attack was great but it took forever to get JDS to the ground and Cain's options seemed limited.

Ultimately, a win is a win, and I truly mean no personal disrespect to AKA fighters or Dave Camarillo. I guess I would just like to see Cain, if he doesn't defend right away, to spends more time doing disciplined BJJ with Leandro Vieira at AKA (maybe with a spin through the IBJJF or Abu Dahbi World No Gi's). I honestly feel like if he does that the rubber match ends much quicker than last night's fight because he will have better developed weapons to get JDS to the ground and make him suffer there as well as on the feet!

No. A professional athlete at Cain's level knows far better than you about what is and what is not "proper" BJJ when applied to an MMA situation.

Cain - Cain + Fedor = faster win.

No. A professional athlete at Cain's level knows far better than you about what is and what is not "proper" BJJ when applied to an MMA situation.

And that pretty much sums it up

i think cain had a handful of chances early to take jds back, flatten him out, and smash his skull in. instead he went full wrestler like brock vs herring and punched him in the face and let him scramble until the fight ended

a lot of unnecessary work and risk in not taking advantage of some basic bjj in those spots. its not like hes going for a guillotine and risking ending up on the bottom

How much do you weigh? I want you to fill a sandbag with 240 lbs pick it up roll it flip it for 25 minutes and then tell me how you feel.

Cain said he likes to finnish with strikes.And Im pretty sure the arm bar was mainly to just keep JDS working,moreso then it was to finnish the fight.

I'm a huge Cain fan but I wouldn't mind seeing him go for a RNC every once in a while. Still, he knows what he's doing and it's working for him. Hope he keeps the belt for many years.

Gotta feeling all these "Cain should have done this or that" or "Cain couldnt do this" stuff is from butthurt JDS fans or people that wanted him to win

I tend to scoff at these threads, but I do think that if Cain would have bothered putting his hooks in a few times, he could have snagged a choke.

That said, he might not want to be on his back at all, so maybe he avoided it incase JDS turned to guard?

First let me say big ups to Cain for his dedication and the hard work he put in to regain his belt. Amazing, by any standard.

With that said, I gotta be honest, I personally cannot watch another wrestler relies on drawn out single / double-leg takedowns and G&P to the exclusion of a trip or throw and submission that might end the fight. Watching Cain's seemingly limited repertoire made me question GJJ or Cain's proficiency at using it in actual fights. I could almost buy the argument that maybe it isn't smart to get into a submission match with a Black House fighter, even a wobbly one but Cain is a freaking Brown Belt in GJJ. His armbar attack was great but it took forever to get JDS to the ground and Cain's options seemed limited.

Ultimately, a win is a win, and I truly mean no personal disrespect to AKA fighters or Dave Camarillo. I guess I would just like to see Cain, if he doesn't defend right away, to spends more time doing disciplined BJJ with Leandro Vieira at AKA (maybe with a spin through the IBJJF or Abu Dahbi World No Gi's). I honestly feel like if he does that the rubber match ends much quicker than last night's fight because he will have better developed weapons to get JDS to the ground and make him suffer there as well as on the feet!

Coolest story bro.

One hit lucky wonders don't carry much weight.
It's like making a full court shot and never being able to recreate it = Fedor/Hendo. Not to mention Fedor was still defending himself.

You make an interesting point. But how many times have we seen a BJJ fighter go balls out for a guillotine and blow his wad in the first round? Or work his ass off trying to improve position on a physically strong and technically capable opponent only to tire themselves out and inflict no damage (gurgel and kang come to mind)?

Cain had a gameplan. It was to make Junior cary his weight and break his cardio. It worked. Finishes are exciting, but when fighting the #1 HW in the world a finish is a luxury imo.

FedorvsHendo.gif

6t08pi.gif

Completely agree, you want to finish someone as dangerous as Junior as quickly as possible.

i think cain had a handful of chances early to take jds back, flatten him out, and smash his skull in. instead he went full wrestler like brock vs herring and punched him in the face and let him scramble until the fight ended

a lot of unnecessary work and risk in not taking advantage of some basic bjj in those spots. its not like hes going for a guillotine and risking ending up on the bottom

Completely agree. He didn't want to risk losing position, which, in a title fight of this magnitude, might be understandable. However, I think it also might indicate that he's not very comfortable yet with certain positions on the ground.

I agree with TS in that he would be a more efficient and better fighter with some additional BJJ training.

Back