Cain has the ideal fight style to beat JBJ.

Sickplicity

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not saying I would want them to fight just yet though.

But in my opinion I believe if someone in the LHW division had the fight style of Cains and implemented it on Jones, I think it would personally negate Jones reach advantage and it could possibly even beat Jones.

Sonnen has the relentless pace to give it to Jones, but he lacks the necessary power to damage Jones the way Cain would.

The only person I could've seen beating Jones was Rashad, if he could implement that style on him, but sadly Rashad never pressed forward in the fight and got utterly dominated against the cage.

But yeah, someone w/ Cains style of relentless pace, pressing forward, decent power & no fear of getting tagged by JBJ could beat him in my opinion.

Cormier will beat Jones first tho and after that I don't think jbj will every get to fight for the HW championship.

Cain hasn't even defended his belt yet and y'all are talking about him beating the reigning LHW champ.

Cormier will beat Jones first tho and after that I don't think jbj will every get to fight for the HW championship.

Cormier has never fought in the big leagues all his wins reside in a second tier organization vs sub par competition.

I don't think so Jones has been great at keeping people at range. He kicks your knees and is always jabbing and has his hands out to keep you away. He also circles away and doesn't just run straight back into the fence.

It's really hard to rush someone like that when they circle away from you because you have to stop and change direction it's not the same as someone moving straight back.

i agree that cormier beats jones at 205.

and i think that would be the reason why jones doesn't move up to heavyweight. he would need to beat cormier first, and that would be a big if...assuming that they eventually do fight.

I don't think so Jones has been great at keeping people at range. He kicks your knees and is always jabbing and has his hands out to keep you away. He also circles away and doesn't just run straight back into the fence.

It's really hard to rush someone like that when they circle away from you because you have to stop and change direction it's not the same as someone moving straight back.

his opponents have also been wary of closing the distance to avoid the td's. i don't see cain being that worried about clinching with jones.

picking cormier when he has to cut to 205 to fight the best fighter in the world at 205?

don't know about that

his opponents have also been wary of closing the distance to avoid the td's. i don't see cain being that worried about clinching with jones.

Well Cain was taken down by Kongo so he might be worried once the fight actually starts. Plus Cain was a traditional wrestler not Greco Roman like JJ was. If he gets in the clinch that JJ's world not Cains.

Sonnen has actually somewhat similar style with his relentless takedowns. Sure Cain is bigger, but Sonnen has otherwise better wrestling. And there is no doubt in anyones mind that Jones is going to beat Sonnen to living death.

The odds favor Jones, who is the champion,and has had MULTIPLE defenses against different styles and the world's best fighters. The idea he is suddenly going to get ragdolled and pounded out is a bit silly. People underestimate how deadly serious Jones is about winning.

Well Cain was taken down by Kongo so he might be worried once the fight actually starts. Plus Cain was a traditional wrestler not Greco Roman like JJ was. If he gets in the clinch that JJ's world not Cains.

i'm sure cain is not going to be lost in the clinch. he may have a free-style background, but training with cormier probably helps him out a lot. as for kongo taking cain down, he's a bigger and stronger guy than jones, and cain was probably more worried about his striking than his wrestling. cain was able to make the proper adjustments though.

Cormier or Cain would smash Jones, Personally I would rather see Jones take some Uber knees when he goes to heavy and then to sleep

But yeah, someone w/ Cains style of relentless pace, pressing forward, decent power & no fear of getting tagged by JBJ could beat him in my opinion.

This is correct but JBJ's TDD appears to be very good. I have a feeling that Jone's wrestling skills would save him from a demolition/ raining down of gnp by avoiding the take down. JDS neutralized one Take down, almost had top position but stood back up. I love JDS' fighting but he did not want to be on the ground AT ALL with Cain. JBJ would be more well versed and at least find possible advantages on the ground.

We'll see how often Shale takes him down, I think Jones will punish Shale for taking him down, discouraging the take down, slowly damaging him IMO.

Not expecting Chale to win but I feel his wrestling will give interesting problems to Jones.

Rushing Jones in that manner would have you eating toe nails or getting choked out.

i'm sure cain is not going to be lost in the clinch. he may have a free-style background, but training with cormier probably helps him out a lot. as for kongo taking cain down, he's a bigger and stronger guy than jones, and cain was probably more worried about his striking than his wrestling. cain was able to make the proper adjustments though.

Thats just it Cain will have to worry about Jones striking as well as his wrestling.Is Cormier a Greco Roman wrestler? I'm not to famailiar with his background. Being an olympian is great but it doesn't mean much if you've never trained or competed in Greco Roman wrestling.

Either way these two fighting is probably never going to happen I don't believe Jones will ever be forced to move up in weight.

People underestimate how deadly serious Jones is about winning.

as opposed to everyone else that fights for a living :rolleyes:

you can't judge how Jones would do against the HW champion based on his LHW fights. Cain would run through all of Jones' past opponents if they were forced to fight him at HW.

Back